How do I change my name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mullen-Girl

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well now that i'm married....I have no idea how to change my name. Can anyone help me out? LOL I've tried doing a search on the net but I kinda get confused.

Thanks!

That's a good question.. I'd like to know too.

I would assume you would need to call all your bank and credit card companies to let them know.. probably provide a copy of the marriage certificate :shrug:

Mullen-Girl said:
Well now that i'm married....I have no idea how to change my name. Can anyone help me out? LOL I've tried doing a search on the net but I kinda get confused.

Thanks!
:sad: But i like your name, mullen-girl.

In the Netherlands it is in the city hall and you should bring your passport and prove that you are married .

I'd suggest calling the town or city hall, or the DMV. Maybe also ask a lawyer you know or check federal gov't websites about passports under the FAQ if they have one.

edited to say I can't remember if I've congratulated you or not, so *confetti* Congrats, good luck, and I hope you have a lifetime of happy marriage!

Last edited:
You need to order a few certified copies of your marriage certificate so you can change your driver's license and SS card...if you do that by mail, they need originals but they do send them back. If you go in person, you just have to show it to them. I think you need it to charnge your bank account info too.

I don't remember how I changed my credit cards...I think I called and had new card issued :hmm:

You'll REALLY feel married when you get your driver's license with your new name! :D :love:

I think all I ever did was call up all the people who mattered and tell them: car ins., bank account, bills, and of course your license and SS. It's been 11 years, I don't remember if I had to use my marriage cert. or not in this state :huh: but I know it was no big deal to get a new license. They want a lot more info now to prove who you are because they are trying to stop fake IDs for terrorists so you might have to take your whole life's history to the DMV :sigh:

Once your new name gets on all the official lists, it won't be long before everyone knows, and you even start getting junk mail in your new name :lol:

Oh, and make sure you tell somebody you went to school with so they can find you for class reunions!

Last edited:
I've got to do all of this next month and go to the embassy to get an amendment in my passport. :hyper: I guess I'll get my new social security card too. Which will be good because I signed my current one when I was 3, so my 'signature' is in print.

Your name should have already been legally changed when the person with the authority to marry you submitted the marriage certificate to which ever government department it is (here it is the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages) showing your previous name and the name you are marrying to. Now you have the fun job of changing all your ID like licence and credit cards etc. You'll need a certified copy of the marriage certificate for these places though.
:up:

MG....congrats! *sigh* all those years of drooling over Larry...now he will never know what he has missed out on....

your husband stole Larry's woman....Poor poor Larry :larry:

A bit off the subject, but when my sister got married she didn't change her name and many relatives were horrified. One even exclaimed, "She can't do that. It's illegal!" :lol: (btw, it isn't illegal, at least not here)

cristy, i'll tell you how i did it. i went down to my local social security office. they'll ask for your current ss card, as well as a copy of your marriage license, and probably your birth certificate and/or driver's license. once you do that, your name will legally be changed and then you can go about telling your creditors, etc.

it doesn't take long to do, just the standing in line bit.

Back
Top Bottom