How Did Your Parents Used To Punish You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
When I was younger and would get in trouble, it was usually like no TV or something like that. They also used to threaten to take things away if I didn't, for example, tell them what my sister REALLY was doing at a certain time, etc.

They used to threaten to take away:

~My typewriter
~My books
~ALL of my U2 stuff (there was a particularly bad incident where Dad said he would even take all of my U2 stuff off of my walls...which I had spent hours painstakingly decorating)
~When I got older, my car...which I never understood because I had paid for my car...how could they tell me I couldn't drive it??

How about the rest of you?

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Without going into detail, I endured very sad punishments and therefore will just leave it at that
smile.gif
*shrug*

My parents used to punish me by refusing to engage in meaningful conversation about the problem at hand, as a result of which I returned the favour.

Mom: lots of yelling maybe a spanking.

Dad: lots of quiet seething anger and long drawn-out sighs. Which were worse.

Grounding as I got older, and lots of "talking to" ...the phrase "we need to talk" to this very day fills my heart with dread.

frown.gif

Umm...this thread is making me sad...maybe this was a bad idea...

Okay...to bring light heartedness...look at my list...

Take away my typewriter???? My books???????? Ugh!!! Could I have possibly been any bigger a nerd when I was younger???? *lmao*!!

There...have a laugh at my expense!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Umm...this thread is making me sad...maybe this was a bad idea...

Okay...to bring light heartedness...look at my list...

Take away my typewriter???? My books???????? Ugh!!! Could I have possibly been any bigger a nerd when I was younger???? *lmao*!!

There...have a laugh at my expense!
biggrin.gif

Naw.. there's no way to ever know what we'll say
wink.gif
Growing up and punishment is a tricky, tricky conversation!

To lighten, though, my boyfriend's usual childhood punishments generally meant No Nintendo For the Night or perhaps (the horror! the horror!!!) Doing the Damn Dishes!
He had it good!

Maybe we should talk about that which makes us happy thinking back to our childhoods?

I liked the beach, my cats, and the ice cream man every afternoon coming through my neighborhood! I loved the smell of coconut from my suntan lotion... loved freshly cut grass and roller skates
smile.gif

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
Maybe we should talk about that which makes us happy thinking back to our childhoods?

We lived in a quiet country neighborhood on a dead end gravel road. Our house was centrally located, so all the neighborhood kids usually came to our house. We also had "cool" parents...Dad would play sports with us, and Mom would make us Kool-Aid and snacks.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,

My Dad used to smack us in the very extreme cases (two or three times). Otherwise it was just a bit of shouting and that hard look on my Mum's face which makes you want to merge into the chair.

One time though, when I was five or six years old and my Mum was annoyed with me, she said that if I didn't behave she would go away and be a Mum to some other, nicer children. That had me crying in bed for days,
frown.gif

Mother...every quiet way about her, rarely gets angry but always gets her point across. I never saw her bad side, yet...I never dared.

Father...gets stressed easily and uses verbal assualt over physical.

Seeing I am a good boy, I rarely got these treatments
wink.gif

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Mom: lots of yelling maybe a spanking.

frown.gif
Me too! Like every day! I was an evil little child.

------------------
~*Mona*~
a litle girl with Spanish eyes

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

When I was little I got the usual shouting and occasional smack on the behind.

As a teenager, it was just my mum and I so we would have awfully vicious rows. We both have bad tempers and tend to get real nasty when we argue... so let's just say our house was not always a pleasant place to be. Having said that though, we usually get on brilliantly, it's just that when you spend so much time with only one person it's easy to rub each other up the wrong way. Strangely enough I never got grounded.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Discoteque:
NO!! Mona, YOU????????? *falls off 2nd floor patio*

Why that seems so UNLIKE the calm, collected person we all KNOW you to be!

LOL!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

MONA, in Church History: When you become pope, you get to pick any name, right? So...could you be, like, Pope Chocolate Pudding? WHAT are YOU laughin' at?
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
LOVE me, give me SOUL

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

Dammit, now I want some puddin'.

------------------
"I don't know you,

*decided not to say anything. I love my parents... they raised me well.

But once, there was an incident with a bar of Irish Spring... stuck in my teeth!!
icon21.gif

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 01-09-2002).]

When I was little,
- we got the dreaded cane. Mother caned our hands, our bottoms, our feet, blah.
- she would show us a real brochure for an Orphanage and threaten to send us there. Images from Charles Dickens would flash through my brain.
- she'd lock us out the house. I'm really horrible for telling you this, but my sister once peed on the slippers in revenge.

When I got older, my dad simply handled it by threatening to disown me and he said some very horrible things.

foray

Pope Chocolate Pudding? LMFAO!!

I was spanked when I was little. When that was no longer effective, I was grounded. There's no worse punishment for a teenager than to be forbidden from hanging out with your friends, IMO.

Pope Chocolate Pudding! I still can't get over it!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

This may seem pretty lame... but it was torture at the time. For punishment we always had to go and sit on " the bottom step" of the stairs that went upstairs to the second floor. The length of time depended on how bad we were. It used to drive me out of my mind! And of course, we got he occasional spankings - my parents have always been pretty cool
smile.gif

------------------
Love don't need to find a way
You find your own way
I forget that I can't stay
And so I say that
All roads lead to where you are
All roads lead to where you are

My parents just werde disappointed of me. That was the worst thing for me. They spoke silently and looked sadly...that was enough. I was such a nice child!
biggrin.gif

------------------
I let the melody shine
Let it cleanse my mind
I feel free now

Back
Top Bottom