How did you propose, were proposed to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cin

Blue Crack Addict
in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smilin
Just reading another thread about a guy that went to a whole heap of trouble to propose. He tricked his girlfriend into going to an art show where one of the pieces spelled out. . . . will you marry me?
Do many people really go to that much trouble???

I'll share my story first.

Get out the tissues folks

One night we rang for fish & chips. While I was putting my shoes on to collect them my soon to be fiance shoved a box under my nose and said, "so. . . . . here you go. . . . . . . . . should I get on one knee? Do you want to get married?"
We'd already picked out a ring a couple of weeks earlier so I knew it was coming but .:rolleyes:

Such a romantic story:heart:

Your turn. . . . . . .

Not me personally (man I can't wait for that day (need a happy sigh, got one Lila? :wink: )) but my cousin took his fiancee down to our beach near the holiday house. The sunset was coming down, and this beach is beautiful but always deserted because only locals know about it. and they went for a walk. He proposed there and then.

Brian was living in Arkansas for a few months at his mom's so we met in St. Louis since it was 1/2 for both of us, me from Chicago, him from Arkansas. He had sort of been mentioning diamonds and rings and stuff for a while and then 2 weeks before our trip he dropped everything. So I sort of had an idea that something as up.
Anyway, I got to the Arch late on Friday. They closed by 6 and I got there by 5:45, our meeting place. He was all dressed up and looked totally put out, had no idea where I was (he didn't have a cell with him at the time). I got there and he was like....well let's get to the hotel and go to dinner.
Later that night I went to sit on the couch in our room and he started freaking out, he had his pants folded on the couch. I couldnt figure out why.
The next day it was overcast when we went up in the Arch, so by dinner time he really had me wondering because he was acting so strange.

He insisted we go to this nice French resturant and that we go shopping...as I didn't bring anything fancy enough. By the time we had dinner he started trying to propose....lol but he forgot the ring at the hotel. :laugh: :banghead: :banghead:

So by 1 a.m. when we got back to our hotel, it had been raining and I was tired....and tipsy...to much wine and champaigne. He insisted we go back to the arch. Well it was cold and drizzling so I was thinking...he's just going to sa forget it and try again at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
But he surprised me. He got me right under the Arch, diverted my attention, so when I turned bakc to look at him he was down on one knee....in a puddle, holding the ring and told me he loved me more than anything and wanted to know if I'd be his wife.

:cute: :giggle:

Kiki said:
Brian was living in Arkansas for a few months at his mom's so we met in St. Louis since it was 1/2 for both of us, me from Chicago, him from Arkansas. He had sort of been mentioning diamonds and rings and stuff for a while and then 2 weeks before our trip he dropped everything. So I sort of had an idea that something as up.
Anyway, I got to the Arch late on Friday. They closed by 6 and I got there by 5:45, our meeting place. He was all dressed up and looked totally put out, had no idea where I was (he didn't have a cell with him at the time). I got there and he was like....well let's get to the hotel and go to dinner.
Later that night I went to sit on the couch in our room and he started freaking out, he had his pants folded on the couch. I couldnt figure out why.
The next day it was overcast when we went up in the Arch, so by dinner time he really had me wondering because he was acting so strange.

He insisted we go to this nice French resturant and that we go shopping...as I didn't bring anything fancy enough. By the time we had dinner he started trying to propose....lol but he forgot the ring at the hotel. :laugh: :banghead: :banghead:

So by 1 a.m. when we got back to our hotel, it had been raining and I was tired....and tipsy...to much wine and champaigne. He insisted we go back to the arch. Well it was cold and drizzling so I was thinking...he's just going to sa forget it and try again at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
But he surprised me. He got me right under the Arch, diverted my attention, so when I turned bakc to look at him he was down on one knee....in a puddle, holding the ring and told me he loved me more than anything and wanted to know if I'd be his wife.

:cute: :giggle:

That is SO romantic! I love it. It's got everything: romance, a story arc, drama and best of all, a declaration of love!

You are a very lucky woman. :yes:

I came home from work one day in a really bad mood and my back was hurting due to my pregnancy. I was sitting on the chair looking really miserable when my fiance kneeled down right next to me and said "I know what will cheer you up" and asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes and I wasn't miserable anymore. :lol: He said he wanted to do it another day but he couldn't wait any longer. :)

This is very romantic....:huh:

After dating 8 years, because we were so young (dated at 16/17) it was the next step to take. We were always together anyway, so we went and picked out a ring he asked, I said yes, and here we'll be 17 years later.

My youngest sister's guy proposed to her after a carriage ride in NYC. They had gone there to celebrate their anniversary one year. She suspected what was coming though since they had picked out the ring together.

Me personally whenever my guy is ready then Im ready :wink:

Rick and I had been living together for 7 years when I started having some serious heart problems. I was 28 at the time and my cardiologist said I might not see 40 if I didn't fix the defect so I was immediately scheduled for open heart surgery. I had about a week to prepare and one day I was standing by the xerox machine in our home office and he said something like "if you don't die, I'll marry you." :angry:

I obviously didn't die and he married me 8 months later! :wink: :lol:

I was standing around, and he was walking towards me from the other side of the bar. He pointed towards the door and that was it for me. :swoon:

eta: OH...you meant marriage. my bad.

Mine was outside the tax office late one night. :cute: We'd gone to see a movie, had a leisurely walk back to the train station (back in those days when we didn't need a car to live), and he stopped me to ask. That's about it.

:D

Tax office :cute:

So, I note that all these stories are the bloke asking the chick. So in these enlightened times, any girls here ask their bloke???? Come on, someone must have!!!!

Bono's American Wife said:
Rick and I had been living together for 7 years when I started having some serious heart problems. I was 28 at the time and my cardiologist said I might not see 40 if I didn't fix the defect so I was immediately scheduled for open heart surgery. I had about a week to prepare and one day I was standing by the xerox machine in our home office and he said something like "if you don't die, I'll marry you." :angry:

"If you pull through, I'll marry you!"

:shrug:

it was last November...Ken and I had been dating just over 4 years. normally I try to go ice skating at least once a year, downtown although in the last few years we haven't gone. so he suggested we go downtown and have breakfast at one of our favorite places, Lou Mitchell's, and then go ice skating afterward. I didn't think anything of him suggesting it of course, despite him holding desperately on the rails at the rink rather skating much. :) we had breakfast and then headed over to the rink at Millenium Park. the line was really long and I was a bit disappointed and couldn't decide whether to wait or not. he said something smartass and I replied something like you don't get it and you spoil my fun. and then he pulled me to the side and was like well I'll make it better then. and all of a sudden there was a ring box opened in front of me and "Diana P****, will you marry me? I felt like such a girl right then because I immediately started tearing up and looked at him and then the ring and then back at him again. total shock. I guess I took a moment or two because he was patiently waiting for my answer. oops :wink: turns out he was going to propose the night before but I had a bad day and....a few drinks :drunk: so he waited. and then he was going to do it on the rink but since we never made it, he improvised. had no idea that he was nervous or that he had me walking on the opposite side from where the ring was in his pocket :lol: I still tease him for not getting down on one knee.

My wife (then girlfriend :wink: ) was still at work, and I called her to tell her I was going grocery shopping. I wasn't. She came home and I wasn't there. Instead, on the wall there was a note I'd written in some fancy calligraphy style. It said "Go with the man at the door." And on the back, it said that there was a dress for her on the bed. After she got dressed, she opened the door & my best friend Joe was there. He was all dressed up in a suit & led her to his car. She got in the back, and on the seat she found another note. This one had a poem I'd written that was a riddle---the answer of which was the coffee shop where we'd had our first date. Joe drove her to the coffee shop and when she got there, the guys working behind the counter gave her another poem-clue. This one led her (with Joe driving still) to another memorable early date place (a cool statue in DC called "The Awakening" that's parts of a giant crawling out of the earth). There she found another poem-riddle that took her to a boat-house where we rent canoes & kayaks all the time. There she found the final poem, which took her to the roof of a dorm on our college campus....the very spot where we'd had our first kiss. Joe let her out of the car & then he drove away. She made her way to the roof, where a dozen roses were laid out one by one across the snow, stretching from the door to me, where I stood there smiling at her. I said something about having so many adventures with her and looking forward to sharing so many more....and then I got down on knee and popped the question. :D

Utoo said:
My wife (then girlfriend :wink: ) was still at work, and I called her to tell her I was going grocery shopping. I wasn't. She came home and I wasn't there. Instead, on the wall there was a note I'd written in some fancy calligraphy style. It said "Go with the man at the door." And on the back, it said that there was a dress for her on the bed. After she got dressed, she opened the door & my best friend Joe was there. He was all dressed up in a suit & led her to his car. She got in the back, and on the seat she found another note. This one had a poem I'd written that was a riddle---the answer of which was the coffee shop where we'd had our first date. Joe drove her to the coffee shop and when she got there, the guys working behind the counter gave her another poem-clue. This one led her (with Joe driving still) to another memorable early date place (a cool statue in DC called "The Awakening" that's parts of a giant crawling out of the earth). There she found another poem-riddle that took her to a boat-house where we rent canoes & kayaks all the time. There she found the final poem, which took her to the roof of a dorm on our college campus....the very spot where we'd had our first kiss. Joe let her out of the car & then he drove away. She made her way to the roof, where a dozen roses were laid out one by one across the snow, stretching from the door to me, where I stood there smiling at her. I said something about having so many adventures with her and looking forward to sharing so many more....and then I got down on knee and popped the question. :D

wow, that's just very cool :cute: :yes:

we're romantic like that :sexywink:

:hmm: i gotta think of a good way...

Utoo said:

Aaaaaaw you win!!!! That is so sweet. I want the guy to do something like that for me - sweet, sentimental, and pretty private.

Utoo :love: That is simply awesome! :bow:

On my 19th birthday my parents said they'd take me out for dinner with my boyfriend. Mum said she'd pay for a nice outfit for me which I could also wear to dinner. We went shopping and bought a beautiful dress. I got all dressed for dinner and waited for my boyfriend to wait (getting impatient because he was late). My Aunt and Uncle arrived, saying they were on their way to friends and wanted to stop in and say happy birthday. Boyfriend was now half an hour late and I was :waiting: Finally there was knock at the door, Mum called out for me to get it, and there was my boyfriend standing at the door in a suit and tie (he NEVER wears a suit!!), holding a single, long stemmed red rose, with a stretched limo parked behind him! Me being the confused ditz I was, called out to Mum and told her to hurry up and get in the car (yes I was blown away by him being dressed up and turning up in a limo!)....Mum came out grinning saying "Oh, we're not going with you - It's just you and him!"

:shocked:

My Aunt & Uncle were in on it too, they were in fact going to have dinner out with my parents while my boyfriend and I went elsewhere.
The limo drove us to the city, to a 5 star restaurant. He barely spoke to me the whole way, just kept looking at me and smiling. We ordered our meals, and then over the entree, he suddenly pulled out a jewellery box and said how much he loved me and would I give him the honour of being his wife

:faint:

I replied "Yes! Of course I will!!", he slipped the ring on my finger and we both promptly lost our appetite for the rest of the meal :giggle:

We've now been married almost 12 years, and I can still remember that night like it was yesterday :love:

:lmao:

This one's my favourite! :yes:

What a romantic! :love:

Cool stories :up:

My Ex stopped to pick me up to go to school (Jr College) & as we did a lot, decided to cut class. He had his lunch with him and kept saying how hungry he was and how he wanted to share his lunch with me so finally I said OK OK OK. So he sat me down and slowly started taking things out of the bag---sandwich, chips, juice, apple then he goes "Oh, what's this?" And he pulled out a small white box that held my ring. (We'd been shopping for rings so I knew it was just a matter of time). I said yes. I was 18 years old. I was too young.

We were married 17 years tho, and I have a beautiful son :)

I brought my future mother in law a goat and some wheat and then pointed at her daughter. 7 years later, here we are. :D

Actually I proposed at Windows on the World which was a very nice restaurant at the top of one of the Twin Towers. Greatest view of Manhattan that you could possibly ask for. The chef made us a little Congratulations dessert dish. It was very nice. We always planned on going back sometime....:(

My husband (then boyfriend)and I had been together for 6 years. The morning of the anniversary of our first date (July 2nd) I woke up, he was lying there looking at me, tears were rolling down his face...I assumed something was wrong. He then asked me to marry him..I was stunned! I said yes...we hugged forever it seemed, we just held each other he gave me a ring he had made himself ..he even set the green diamond himself!! ....then decided to tell people..we were just too damn excited! LOL...then he told me to pack and that he had this great hotel reserved for us in Montreal for the weekend..what a great surprise!

Back
Top Bottom