How did you propose, were proposed to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utoo said:
My wife (then girlfriend :wink: ) was still at work, and I called her to tell her I was going grocery shopping. I wasn't. She came home and I wasn't there. Instead, on the wall there was a note I'd written in some fancy calligraphy style. It said "Go with the man at the door." And on the back, it said that there was a dress for her on the bed. After she got dressed, she opened the door & my best friend Joe was there. He was all dressed up in a suit & led her to his car. She got in the back, and on the seat she found another note. This one had a poem I'd written that was a riddle---the answer of which was the coffee shop where we'd had our first date. Joe drove her to the coffee shop and when she got there, the guys working behind the counter gave her another poem-clue. This one led her (with Joe driving still) to another memorable early date place (a cool statue in DC called "The Awakening" that's parts of a giant crawling out of the earth). There she found another poem-riddle that took her to a boat-house where we rent canoes & kayaks all the time. There she found the final poem, which took her to the roof of a dorm on our college campus....the very spot where we'd had our first kiss. Joe let her out of the car & then he drove away. She made her way to the roof, where a dozen roses were laid out one by one across the snow, stretching from the door to me, where I stood there smiling at her. I said something about having so many adventures with her and looking forward to sharing so many more....and then I got down on knee and popped the question. :D

:cute: :heart: :applaud: great!

Rick- :lmao: nice one! :up:

Dismantled said:
My husband (then boyfriend)and I had been together for 6 years. The morning of the anniversary of our first date (July 2nd) I woke up, he was lying there looking at me, tears were rolling down his face...I assumed something was wrong. He then asked me to marry him..I was stunned! I said yes...we hugged forever it seemed, we just held each other he gave me a ring he had made himself ..he even set the green diamond himself!! ....then decided to tell people..we were just too damn excited! LOL...then he told me to pack and that he had this great hotel reserved for us in Montreal for the weekend..what a great surprise!

All I can say is : AWWWWWWW! :cute: :cute:

Love coming in here and reading these great stories :yes:

Last edited:
My wife (then girlfriend ... obviously) and I were heading to Cape Town for work. We had both spent some time there before so we had quite a few mutual friends. I enlisted their help to get everything in order.

The day after we arrived, I asked her if she would go to Table Mountain with because I had never gone. I told her that I wanted some good photos so she had to dress in something cute. We went to the mountain and had a wonderful afternoon a few minutes before sunset I told her that I wanted to get a nice picture of us as the sun went down so she needed to go find a good spot. When she went to do that I asked a woman who was walking by (who it turns out lives about 15 minutes away from us now - weird) if she would take pictures as I proposed to my girlfriend. When my wife returned I told her that the spot I found was perfect and I had found someone to take the picture. She didn't suspect a thing.

We had our backs to the sunset for the picture, but before the woman took the shot I told my wife I wanted to get my sunglasses off my head, so I knelt down to put them in her purse. As I knelt down I took the ring out of my pocket (which was difficult because my hands were shaking so bad) and when I looked up she had TURNED AROUND! So, I tapped her on her hip and she turned around and saw that I had the ring I tried to say something poetic, but really just babbled about how much I loved her and wanted to marry her. We have pictures of the whole process.

But here is where it really got cool. I had worked it out with my friends so that when they picked us up they had brought her favorite dress. After she changed into that I took her to a jazz club that our friend owns. As we walked into the club the band announced our engagement and everyone cheered. The whole night the band kept dedicating songs to us and what not.

She loved it. I was embarrassed as hell.

We were sitting on the couch one afternoon when my boyfriend turned to me and in a kind of roundabout way asked me if I wanted to.. you know.. and gave me one of his rings(a ring I gave him actually) and said this would have to do til he got the real thing.

We eventually went and picked out a ring together, but had to wait for it to be assembled. Then one evening before heading out for dinner he got down on one knee and did the official asking, said "here you go", put it on and that was that. Kind of rushed and unromantic. Eh :shrug: I loved him and didn't feel like it mattered. It wasn't a healthy relationship though, and I got out before I made the HUGE mistake of taking the plunge with him.

Hate to sound like a bit of a downer :wink: It's ok really, it was the best thing for both of us in the long run. I did hate to part with the ring though, it was gorgeous :sad:

I love this thread. I don't have any story to add but keep them coming, they are all so sweet. I have always loved hearing about a good romantic proposal :love:

It was the day before our 2 year anniversary. I skipped out of work to go drop off candles, flowers, etc at the Boston Harbor Hotel. I got home at my normal time. We had plans to out for a nice dinner in Boston anyways. She was getting ready and I said "grab your toothbrush because we're not coming home tonight." I had already packed a bag and dropped it off at the hotel. We went out to dinner and then drove around Boston for a little bit. Eventually we got up to the room overlooking the water, lit the candles etc. During my trip there in the afternoon, I put a little box on the coffee table and this caught her attention as we got into the room. She tried to play it cool though and pretended not to notice it. I said that I had something for her and gave her the box. And in it was a pair of earrings as an anniversary gift. This was designed to throw and her off and later on she told me that it was mission accomplished. I wanted to hold off for maybe 10 minutes before popping the question, but at this point my heart was racing. So I said, there's something else...I got down on one knee, said some nice things, opened up the ring box, and popped the question. Before saying anything though, she had turn the box the right side up since I was a big doufus and had it upside down. She then promptly said "of course!!!" and the rest is history.

Utoo said:
My wife (then girlfriend :wink: ) was still at work, and I called her to tell her I was going grocery shopping. I wasn't. She came home and I wasn't there. Instead, on the wall there was a note I'd written in some fancy calligraphy style. It said "Go with the man at the door." And on the back, it said that there was a dress for her on the bed. After she got dressed, she opened the door & my best friend Joe was there. He was all dressed up in a suit & led her to his car. She got in the back, and on the seat she found another note. This one had a poem I'd written that was a riddle---the answer of which was the coffee shop where we'd had our first date. Joe drove her to the coffee shop and when she got there, the guys working behind the counter gave her another poem-clue. This one led her (with Joe driving still) to another memorable early date place (a cool statue in DC called "The Awakening" that's parts of a giant crawling out of the earth). There she found another poem-riddle that took her to a boat-house where we rent canoes & kayaks all the time. There she found the final poem, which took her to the roof of a dorm on our college campus....the very spot where we'd had our first kiss. Joe let her out of the car & then he drove away. She made her way to the roof, where a dozen roses were laid out one by one across the snow, stretching from the door to me, where I stood there smiling at her. I said something about having so many adventures with her and looking forward to sharing so many more....and then I got down on knee and popped the question. :D

wow. i'm left speechless! that was beautiful. very well planned, Utoo!!! i'm so happy you two found each other, both of you are awesome!

it's about time! :wink:

:hyper:

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

5.gif

Oh wow this feels weird but I have my engagement story to add! :hyper:

Mike flew in from Chicago on Thursday night so we could spend Labor Day weekend at the beach here in Delaware. Well tonight after a nice dinner out we went to the boardwalk. The weather is beautiful and we had gone last night too. So when he mentioned taking a walk on the beach I was all for it. We went down to the ocean to watch the waves. As we were standing there the moon came out and it was such a beautiful orange color! When I commented on it Mike responded by saying "You are very pretty" awwwww! :cute:

Ok after a little bit he took my hand to lead me further down the beach. Started talking about how long we have known each other and how many great times we have had together. Before I knew it he turned to me and took both of my hands into his. More sweet words were spoken. Sorry Im still in shock so some of it is escaping me right now! But then he took his left hand and pulled out the ring box! He proceeded to go down on his knee and asked me if I will marry him!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Oh and as you can see I did say YES! :lol: The tears came so fast and hard but they were happy tears!

This was by far the most romantic proposal I could ever have!!!!

BonosBaby12 said:

Mike flew in from Chicago on Thursday night so we could spend Labor Day weekend at the beach here in Delaware. Well tonight after a nice dinner out we went to the boardwalk. The weather is beautiful and we had gone last night too. So when he mentioned taking a walk on the beach I was all for it. We went down to the ocean to watch the waves. As we were standing there the moon came out and it was such a beautiful orange color! When I commented on it Mike responded by saying "You are very pretty" awwwww! :cute:

Ok after a little bit he took my hand to lead me further down the beach. Started talking about how long we have known each other and how many great times we have had together. Before I knew it he turned to me and took both of my hands into his. More sweet words were spoken. Sorry Im still in shock so some of it is escaping me right now! But then he took his left hand and pulled out the ring box! He proceeded to go down on his knee and asked me if I will marry him!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Oh and as you can see I did say YES! :lol: The tears came so fast and hard but they were happy tears!

Awww! Congratulations to you both!

BonosBaby12 said:

That's really cool! Congrats Shannon! :hug: :cute:

A BIG thank you to everyone for their congratulations and well wishes :hug: :hug: Your happiness for me means so much :yes: Thank you for making my special news even more special :)

Diana for awhile you were known as the mystery texter :lol:

BonosBaby12 said:

I just read this!

Congratulations!!!!

:D That is so awesome! I'm very happy for you. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom