How did you land your current job???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
Since I'm convinced it's almost impossible to land a job in New York City (City of opportunity my :censored: ) I'm curious, how did you land your current jobs? Through a friend, internet job board or just plain luck?

Nepotism :up:

:wink:

I actually did get brought in for an interview because of my bro-in-law, but I interviewed with the head of my department, and they somehow chose me.

Dont judge me!!!!!! :mad:

Last edited:
my current job is a university student work-study type job. you don't have to have work study to be hired, and they bend the rules about only being allowed to work 20 hours a week.

i went to the meeting, i took the exam (the informational meeting was a 2 hour look at the "student security moniter manual" and then a test on the information in the manual), i did well enough that they hired me.

I have both of my current jobs from answering newspaper ads. One job took me about 6 months of searching and rejection, the other took me about 18 months...and they both are lowly jobs that I could never live off of on my own. :crack:

:sad:

I was able to get an interview through a friend that I've known for over ten years. Interviewed before 5 people, sold them and now I work for my friend.

I looked all over the paper and also Monster.com, who was also my former employer that I just got laid off from...how ironic that monster.com is a place you go to for a job and they had a mass layoff :tsk: ....anyways after going on a ridiculous amount of interviews and not getting a job offer my brother suggested I make a list of some places around the Twin Cities and just go on their websites directly to see if they had a career page and forget the paper and job boards. There was a ton of stuff on these sites that were not listed anywhere else.

I found my job online on May 10, applied, had one 15 minute interview with my boss who talked more than I did on May 26. She said she'd get back to me within 2 weeks. She called me a few days later and offered me the job and I was working on June 14. (I only remember the dates because I kept track of what I applied to, if they called me back, if I interviewed.....:D ) I went on tons of interviews that took hours or were a panel of people or they wanted to call me in for another interview. I didn't get any of those jobs.

It only took a month from the time I found it to the time it was mine and I love my job more than any job I've ever had. :heart:

Internet job board linked me to the corporation's on-line job system. That was almost 4 years ago. :up:

I got two previous jobs through headhunters.

I'm looking for a job in the nyc area, too!

I quit my job a few weeks ago, because it was going nowhere, paid nothing, and treated it's employees like crap. Now i'm wondering if I did the right thing...

:(

Well, I hated my last "real" job (not actually the job itself, just the people :madspit: ), so I quit. Started selling my artwork. The pay isn't great sometimes (there can be months with zero income), but my boss is a really sweetheart! :D

Oh...and that last "real" job.... I answered an ad in the newspaper. It only took about two weeks from the time I sent out the first set of resumes (one of them for that job), until I was working. I had been laid off from a large company, and had two months pay before I was technically unemployed...I was was working before that ran out. (Screwed around for about a month before I even got started thinking about another job.)

Last edited:
recruited through a federal government program targeting university graduates.

I'm currently interning at a small consulting company. I do mostly PR/marketing work-writing press releases, 30 second commercials, website copy, and client information and bios. I do some marketing research and I've designed some brochures.

My boss is an alum of my college. One of my classmates was talking about this woman and her company so I went on-line to check her out. I noticed they had internships available so I applied. What helped me snag the job was both my resume and my portfolio.

I had read an article in our local paper about the company bringing one of it's divisions here. I was already a customer and it was in my field so I immediately sent a letter and resume to the corporate office. Then I followed up when they began to build here by sending another letter and resume. Soon after that they began to hire and I went in for my series of interviews and go the job. I told myself that I just had to go for it and really promoted myself like I had never done to that extent before. I detested the job I was at so I did everything in my power to make sure that I would get hired on where I'm at since it was a company I had always had an interest in working for. That was almost 7 years ago and I'm still there.

Last edited:
Eighteen years of "yes, sir" and "no, sir"; an early medical retirement led to a private practice where I now address BAW with "yes, mam" and more, "yes, mam!"

Honestly, I grew very weary of working so hard, making my former bosses a LOT of money; I realized, "Hey, I can do this myself" and we've done it for the past 10 years and still going! :)

I applied to more than 15 school districts, easily over 100 schools b/c of Chicago Public Schools. I interviewed all over and did not find a job for a year.
I actually got the job I have now b/c I interviewed well with a school and they passed my name along. In other words I got lucky. Looking for a job sucks.

I was at the right place, at the right time, with the right degree.

I surfed over to www.peacecorps.gov, filled out the lengthy application, went to interviews, jumped through bureaucratic hoops for a year and then found myself on a plane to sunny Africa. :yes:

Then again, being a volunteer might not be considered to be a job. I do get paid a living stipend tho.

Join the Peace Corps and see the world for free. :D

sulawesigirl4 said:
I surfed over to www.peacecorps.gov, filled out the lengthy application, went to interviews, jumped through bureaucratic hoops for a year and then found myself on a plane to sunny Africa. :yes:

Then again, being a volunteer might not be considered to be a job. I do get paid a living stipend tho.

Join the Peace Corps and see the world for free. :D

We've never really spoken but I've heard wonderful things about you through mutual friends...I can only say that I'm proud of you for what you're doing! :up:

sulawesigirl4 said:

Then again, being a volunteer might not be considered to be a job.

insert something cheesy about you being far 'richer' than the rest of us.

I work at a grocery store. :| 3 of my friends worked there before me, so I didn't have to do an interview. Now 2 of my friends have left and the last one just applied for a job at our university.

But I'll be stickin around for a while; I love my job.

Back
Top Bottom