how did you know your career was what you wanted to do??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 10-23-2004, 05:28 AM   #16
The Fly
Local Time: 01:07 AM
I am in the process of changing my profession. I taught school for five years and I have decided I don't want to do it anymore. When I first started, I was very positive and excited about teaching. After the first year, I knew I was in the wrong profession. I became very depressed about teaching because of all the political nonsense and bad behavior of children. I also found the parents were not supportive and added to the problems in the school. It seems like teachers are blamed for everything.
I still don't know what I want to do and I am at a crossroads.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #17
love, blood, life
Local Time: 07:07 PM
Just find something enjoy doing.

- OR -

Find something that pays your bills, and focus on things OUTSIDE of work.

In other words, find a job that is means to an end....I work in an industry that allows me to jump on a plane (with an available my free time) and go just about anywhere I want. I can chase bands, visit friends, go see places I haven't seen before, etc. - and THIS is what makes me happy.

Old 10-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #18
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 09:07 PM
I think a lot of people have an idea of what they might like to do, and then when they get around to doing it, it wasn't all they thought it would be. I think it's good to move in the direction of things that interest you, but it's probably impossible to know if you'll be satisfied doing it forever. I am a veterinarian, enjoy my career (new as it is), and though I have almost $100K in student loans, I won't rule out looking at other avenues down the line. Never say never!
bonosloveslave [at]
Old 10-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #19
The Flower
Local Time: 05:07 PM
I was a 20 year old mother of 2 who needed a job FAST...that's how I fell into my first job, which led me to my current career and meeting my husband

I answered a classified ad for an entry level receptionist, bluffed my way through the interview and was hired on the spot. I had certainly never considered a career in the private investigation business and thought I would work there for 6 months or so, get some experience and move on to something else.

It turned out to be a very interesting field and I was eventually promoted and given the chance to do computer related investigations (skiptracing), which I love.

So guess I kind of stumbled into my true calling...18 years later, Mr. BAW and I own our own PI firm and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #20
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Thanks so much everyone......

and zoney, what industry do you work in? I'm curious.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:36 PM   #21
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
After 5 years of doing my current job, I am still clueless about what career I should be in.
tell me about it! i don't know what the hell i want to do with my life, but it sure as hell isn't the job i've got right now. if i'm still doing this in five years, i'm going to kill myself. i think i want to open up a little sandwich shop, but where i'll get the money to do this i don't know.

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann