How did you decide on you apartment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
I want to find a place to move to by Nov 1st. So far I've looked at 4 apartments in person, a ton of them online, and I've also talked to a lot of landlord's on the phone. At this point I don't know what's the most important things I need to look for when deciding on where to live. I've never in my life lived in an apartment so I don't know how to do this. I only want to be there a year and then buy a townhouse but for now I just want to move out of the parents basement and be able to continue to travel so the townhouse needs to wait.

Two out of the 4 places I've looked at are ok. One is a little smaller than I'd want but it's literally 2 minutes from where I work. The other is huge and alot cheaper but the building is older and in need of a remodel. Plus the laundry is in the basement and it was kind of spooky down there. The smaller one keeps lowering the price but I just don't know if the layout is right....but then again I only want to be there a year :huh: I don't really care about a pool, workout room, animals, garage.....it would all be nice but not neccessary right now.

What made you decide on your apartment?

Maybe you should look again if it is evening. most people are at home so you can look if there is a lot of noise ect. from neighbours. I know, it would be only a impression about the neighbourhood but loud neighbours can be a real problem.after a hard day of work.

If you're only going to be there a year and its just you by yourself, I'd consider finding a cheap one, and also close to work is nice.

Location, Rental price, Size of appartment and how new it is. We got really lucky and found new appartment complex by the Chesapeake Bay for not too expensive.

Rono said:
Maybe you should look again if it is evening. most people are at home so you can look if there is a lot of noise ect. from neighbours. I know, it would be only a impression about the neighbourhood but loud neighbours can be a real problem.after a hard day of work.

Something I got from my dad when looking for a place to live. Look at the kind of cars that are parked in the direct neighbourhood. They can tell a lot about the kind of people living there.

:shrug:

Marty (lives in the Netherlands though)

I live in half of a duplex, not exactly an appartment, but same idea. I chose first based on location (three blocks from school and work, walking distance to the mall, grocery store, my bank, grandparents), then price, then quality of the neighborhood, then how the rooms are divided up and if there'd be enough people to fill them, and lastly, things like wash machines, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and appliances like that. I got my cat after I moved in and amended the lease with the landlord.

Popmartijn said:

Something I got from my dad when looking for a place to live. Look at the kind of cars that are parked in the direct neighbourhood. They can tell a lot about the kind of people living there.

:shrug:

Marty (lives in the Netherlands though)

That's a really good point. You should pay a lot of attention to what is around the area, as well. But also, if you find something you like, try and go visit it at different times of the day. You know, if you going during the day, chances are it's going to be quiet and peaceful, but if you come back when people are home from work, you could find something entirely different.

Good luck arw!

I would not live anywhere animals were not welcome, but that's me. Also, I get claustrophobic if the apts. are too close together and you are always running face to face into someone else. My mom recently sold our family home and moved to a small place where her door opens into a well with another person right across the hall and a weird guy who sits on the steps. I also would consider parking. At my mom's place I can never find a place to park, it's worse than shopping.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm moving into my first apartment in November, and my criteria was price first, if they accepted pets, and how close it was to my mom and to my work.

Really!? Congrats girl!!

Are you taking Mia with you? :cute: Let me know and I'll give you some good pointers on moving with cats :hug:

:eek: I have a typo in the title.......

I don't know what to do now. I do know the area I work in is expensive to live in but that's where I want to be because Minnesota winters are a nasty mother and I refuse to drive in all of that snow. :madspit: snow :madspit:

Anyways.....I've got one to look at tomorrow night. Two months free and a free trip to Vegas :up: but I think it'll cut into my U2 fun if I live there :sad: It's still way more than I should spend right now for an apartment.

This sucks. :mad:

I picked mine because it was the only one I could find that was located in a building that wasn't falling apart or in a really bad neighborhood. It also had tons of storage space which is important to me because I'm a pack rat.

I would be very, very careful about moving into an apartment located in an older building. There's just so much that can go wrong. And make absolutely sure you don't see any cockroaches. I know, it's gross, but I'll never forget the time I agreed on a place that seemed OK at first and I didn't notice until I moved in that it was infested. :ohmy:

Last edited:
price and location

if I knew better when I was looking for apts for the first time I would make sure not to live next door to neighbors with dogs.

Another thing to consider. If its multiple levels try to be on the top floor. There is nothing worse than the sound of clod hopper feet strolling accross the ceiling over you at all hours. My last apartment was like that. I was in the middle floor, had people over and under me. It was a nightmare. The only good thing was that it pushed me to buy a house and get out of there.

Good luck! :)

Location...I would go to the location day and night, weekdays and weekends to check on the activity; kids drinking by the pool, guys working cars in the driveway; check the laundry room and ask about security features...also recommend call the local PD about the building and see if they've had trouble there before..most stations may run what they call a "Premise History", it kinda gives you an idea of what you're getting into...good luck!

It had more than four walls. Seriously, three years in a studio in Brooklyn drove me nuts. I have rooooooms now. My bedroom has an actual door.

But really, sit down and do a budget. How much is rent, electricity, etc. in an average month and go from there. And check on any fees involved in the rental -- security deposit is the biggest but also broker's fee. I've been told NYC is the only place in this vast country in which the rentee has to pay the finder's fee. It sucked.

sharky said:

security deposit is the biggest but also broker's fee. I've been told NYC is the only place in this vast country in which the rentee has to pay the finder's fee. It sucked.

:| you have to pay a broker fee? :tsk:

I work for a leasing company (general equipment not apartments). But I deal with brokers and their fee's all day long. I do the work they collect the fee and commission. :madspit: The worst part about it is they don't even work for our company so some of them are incredibly lazy and no one says anything because they are our "customer." :mad:

I live in a big airy house that is a friends Mum's investment property, it is a little out of town, but the driving dosnt bother me, i took this house as it is cheap for what it is and it is close to Brisbane and to the Sunshine Coast. I also like being able to rent privately- going through real estate agents SUCKS- they want to do inspections every three months and they continually put your rent up and I knew that at this place I would be able to get a dog- its on half an acre and is fenced:wink:

its funny hearing all of you talk about apartment (we call them 'units' here in Australia) living, I have so been there and done that before. I dont think I could ever go back to living in a unit again, houses are heaps better and here in Australia it is virtualy un heard of for anyone to keep a dog in a unit or be allowed to....

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here including:

1 - go back and look at the apartment on a Friday or Saturday night.
2 - look at the cars people are driving
3 - is the building well maintained
4 - is there a live in landlord?
5 - is parking secure
6 - if you take the cheaper, further away apartment will your transportation costs rise thus defeating the cheaper apartment idea.
7 - don't be fooled by 'everyone living here are seniors...' because elderly neighbours play their tvs and stereos loud too but it's because they can't hear them
8 - ask your local police about crime in the area

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom