How did you decide on you apartment? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2004, 04:26 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:03 AM
I picked mine because it was the only one I could find that was located in a building that wasn't falling apart or in a really bad neighborhood. It also had tons of storage space which is important to me because I'm a pack rat.

I would be very, very careful about moving into an apartment located in an older building. There's just so much that can go wrong. And make absolutely sure you don't see any cockroaches. I know, it's gross, but I'll never forget the time I agreed on a place that seemed OK at first and I didn't notice until I moved in that it was infested.

Old 09-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
price and location

if I knew better when I was looking for apts for the first time I would make sure not to live next door to neighbors with dogs.

Old 09-28-2004, 04:58 PM   #18
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i just went for price, really.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:41 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Another thing to consider. If its multiple levels try to be on the top floor. There is nothing worse than the sound of clod hopper feet strolling accross the ceiling over you at all hours. My last apartment was like that. I was in the middle floor, had people over and under me. It was a nightmare. The only good thing was that it pushed me to buy a house and get out of there.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Location...I would go to the location day and night, weekdays and weekends to check on the activity; kids drinking by the pool, guys working cars in the driveway; check the laundry room and ask about security features...also recommend call the local PD about the building and see if they've had trouble there before..most stations may run what they call a "Premise History", it kinda gives you an idea of what you're getting into...good luck!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #21
New Yorker

It had more than four walls. Seriously, three years in a studio in Brooklyn drove me nuts. I have rooooooms now. My bedroom has an actual door.

But really, sit down and do a budget. How much is rent, electricity, etc. in an average month and go from there. And check on any fees involved in the rental -- security deposit is the biggest but also broker's fee. I've been told NYC is the only place in this vast country in which the rentee has to pay the finder's fee. It sucked.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #22
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

security deposit is the biggest but also broker's fee. I've been told NYC is the only place in this vast country in which the rentee has to pay the finder's fee. It sucked.

you have to pay a broker fee?

I work for a leasing company (general equipment not apartments). But I deal with brokers and their fee's all day long. I do the work they collect the fee and commission. The worst part about it is they don't even work for our company so some of them are incredibly lazy and no one says anything because they are our "customer."
Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM   #23
New Yorker

Oh yes. 12% of one year's rent for walking us around the neighborhood for an hour.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:34 PM   #24
arw
Blue Crack Addict

12%?!?!?! That's insane! I suppose they charge a seperate processing fee as well.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 07:03 PM
I live in a big airy house that is a friends Mum's investment property, it is a little out of town, but the driving dosnt bother me, i took this house as it is cheap for what it is and it is close to Brisbane and to the Sunshine Coast. I also like being able to rent privately- going through real estate agents SUCKS- they want to do inspections every three months and they continually put your rent up and I knew that at this place I would be able to get a dog- its on half an acre and is fenced

its funny hearing all of you talk about apartment (we call them 'units' here in Australia) living, I have so been there and done that before. I dont think I could ever go back to living in a unit again, houses are heaps better and here in Australia it is virtualy un heard of for anyone to keep a dog in a unit or be allowed to....
Old 09-30-2004, 12:25 AM   #26
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Lots of good advice here including:

1 - go back and look at the apartment on a Friday or Saturday night.
2 - look at the cars people are driving
3 - is the building well maintained
4 - is there a live in landlord?
5 - is parking secure
6 - if you take the cheaper, further away apartment will your transportation costs rise thus defeating the cheaper apartment idea.
7 - don't be fooled by 'everyone living here are seniors...' because elderly neighbours play their tvs and stereos loud too but it's because they can't hear them
8 - ask your local police about crime in the area

Good luck