How about Minnesota and Montreal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxxern

Refugee
In first place in their respective divisions. I know it's still early, but how incredible would it be if these two teams targeted for contraction were to finish in first place this season? I'll be cheering for them (unless they're playing someone I like better
wink.gif
).

It'd be a nice middle finger to Mr. Selig, wouldn't it?

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Where's the relevance Craig?!?

Looks like someone wants the Expos to move to Washington, DC. Which is a great idea considering that baseball has failed not once but twice there. You'd be moving the Expos from old, decrepid Olympic Stadium, to old, decrepid RFK Stadium.

It wasn't that long ago that the Expos were regularly drawing 30,000 fans. People only stopped going after the team started selling off everyone in sight. If they could find some decent owners, they would thrive the way they did in the early 90's.

------------------

thrived?!?! haha!!!

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but if you can prove to me that the Expos ever in their existence averaged that many fans in a season I will, I will... I don't know what, but it doesnt really matter because it never happened

how is it relevant julie??? because it makes no sense to have a team that averages 5,000 fans per game in Montreal, when they could average 30,000 or more a game in the Washington DC area

oh it would be sweet Foxxern
biggrin.gif
Montreal has enough young talent, bring them to DC, with the owner of the Redskins wanting to bring them here, he would pay the young players once they became stars instead of dumping them for prospects, it's an never-ending cycle in Montreal -- develop players, can't pay star salaries so trade them for prospects... they become good... then trade them again...

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
thrived?!?! haha!!!

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but if you can prove to me that the Expos ever in their existence averaged that many fans in a season I will, I will... I don't know what, but it doesnt really matter because it never happened

I never said they averaged 30,000 per night, but that they could regularly draw that many to the games during the weekends. If you want raw numbers, here are some:
From 1992 through 1996, the Expos averaged about 20,200 fans per home game (baseball-reference.com). While not huge, its certainly enough fans to support a major league team. Keep in mind that attendance was also down greatly in 1995 due to the strike the previous year, and most fans in Montreal were still bitter about the fact that the team likely would have gone to the playoffs if not for the strike.

So Daniel Snyder wants to bring a baseball team to Washington? Well thats nice. Now in addition to a mediocre football team full of overpaid, aging veterans, he can have a long-neglected baseball team in a market where baseball was never able to sustain itself.

If anything, the Expos should move to a place like Nashville or North Carolina. Those growing markets should have their chances to support a baseball team. The Senators never made it in DC, and there is little evidence to suggest that anything has changed. Besides, I doubt the hour and a half drive from northern VA to Baltimore to see the Orioles is going to kill anyone.

------------------

yes, Carolina certainly has done a splendid job with their NBA and NHL franchises
rolleyes.gif

and times have changed, you're basing your assessment of the DC area on 30 year old numbers, they have in fact done the research to support the notion that baseball would now thrive in the DC area

hour and a half drive??? ok, stop and think about that for a second Foxxern, most people get out of work at 5:00 or 5:30 pm, this leaves time to go get the kids and get dinner and get... yeah, thought so; and the Northern Virginia/ DC market has twice the growth and size of these other markets you speak of, but nice try!

say what you will about Snyder, the man has made some mistakes, but it took George Steinbrenner nearly a decade to figure out how to make things work, and he's got a nice team headed into next year (signing Jeremy Trotter and Jesse Armstead doesn't hurt a bit!)

drive the hour and a half... haha, you have obviously never spent much time driving in the DC/Baltimore area during rush hour (rated worst in the country)

oh yeah, and old decrepid RFK would only be a short home for the team, there are numerous plans on the table to build new state-of-the-art facilities just waiting for the go-ahead

but it's all academic, because I don't plan on living in Northern Virginia forever, and I'll always be a NY Mets fan, I still, however, think it's a good idea to have a team in the DC metro area

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 04-22-2002).]

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
yes, Carolina certainly has done a splendid job with their NBA and NHL franchises
rolleyes.gif

and times have changed, you're basing your assessment of the DC area on 30 year old numbers, they have in fact done the research to support the notion that baseball would now thrive in the DC area

drive the hour and a half... haha, you have obviously never spent much time driving in the DC/Baltimore area during rush hour (rated worst in the country)

Let's compare to the rest of the DC-area teams. Redskins haven't made the playoffs since the 1999 season, and prior to that it hadn't been since 1992. The Wizards have made the playoffs one time in 14 years. I hardly think you can criticize Carolina sports compared to DC sports.

The Charlotte Hornets have had problems in the past couple of years, mainly stemming from the inability to get a new stadium. But maybe you haven't noticed the Carolina Hurricanes seeded 3rd in the NHL playoffs? The Carolina Panthers also had several good years in the NFL, and look like they're on the upswing again.

Nothing against you or DC. I just don't think that the team moving there will instantly turn them into winners. Poor management is what really killed the Expos. People will point to the fact that they are a baseball team in a hockey town, but I fail to believe that the two sports can not coexist in a city with a metro population of 3.5 million. I think they will have a harder time trying to compete with the Orioles if the move to DC.

By the way, I've made two drives from Fairfax county to Baltimore during early evening. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was a shade over 90 minutes each time.

------------------

Twins are doing well! There are plans in the State Legislature for a stadium. That is if the Twins agree (I hate Major League owners and especially that creepy used car salesman Bud Selig).

If they can keep healthy and stop losing to the damn Devil Rays, they might find themselves in the playoffs.

I remember when there was a campaign in the 80's to bring back the Senators in Washington. I would love to see the Expos move there and change their name to the Senators.

And, like others have said - NC is one of America's basketball headquarters (ie. home of Jordan, NCState, UNC, Duke, etc. etc. etc.) and the Hornets can't draw. that is crappy. Sometimes, too many Major League Teams in one market doesn't work (potentially like Minnesota).

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned how hard Bud Selig's Brewers continue to suck.

Originally posted by speedracer:
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned how hard Bud Selig's Brewers continue to suck.

Yeah but that's nothing new.

------------------

the point i was trying to make was that Carolina teams have poor attendence (and the hockey team sells playoff tickets at half the league's average price and still struggle to sell-out)

comparing winning percentages here is pointless, the Hornets have had playoff teams and still they struggle for fans (let's face it, North Carolina is all about UNC and Duke basketball, not Hornets)

and btw, people from Northern Virginia/DC comprise only about 20% of Baltimore Oriole fans, it's virtually an untapped market of about 5 million (if you consider the people in Northern Virginia who would be within a distance similar to that of the one you're talking about with the immediate DC area to Baltimore)

Back
Top Bottom