Housing codes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I'm getting REALLY pissed off at my apartment building.

First the kitchen sink backed up and overflowed and when they installed the overflow valve (which had been missing to begin with), they installed it improperly again so my kitchen flooded yet again. The carpet outside the kitchen was stained from this and I was told that it would be cleaned, but it never was.

Then the pipes upstairs leaked and the paint on the ceiling and walls in one of the bathrooms is completely ruined. Again, I was told this would be repainted soon, but to this day, it's still yellow and gross.

Next, I came home last Wednesday to find that when they were replacing the pipes in the hallways, they accidentally knocked a hole into my the wall of my bathtub, so the tub had pieces of broken tile and drywall in it. I have been calling management since Thursday morning, and still nothing has been done, so I can only take baths and had to tape a piece of cardboard over the hole.

I've looked at Maryland housing websites, but can't find ANY relevant information as to what my rights are in this, what an acceptable time frame for repairs is, and what can be reported and to whom. All I've found is information for people in low-income housing and legal aid for people with a low income.

Has anyone else here dealt with something like this? I have no idea what to do, and I'm moving in two and a half months, but I don't want them to try to use my deposit to cover the costs of repainting and recarpeting when I didn't cause any of the damages.

I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'll try to look into Maryland law on this later tonight. In CA, you have the right to make repairs and then deduct the amount from your rent (certain notice requirements apply).

call the city.

they should be able to point you to the proper documents and even tribunals should that become neccessary.

Take pictures and make sure you document every single phone call, conversation and letter with regard to these repairs. Dates and times are very important. I hope you find the right agency to help you with this.

This is terrible.

I am a landlord and I have no tolerance for slumlords.

I have plumbing problems repaired completely the same day.

You could have your boss write them on company stationary.
I think that would get their attention.

Here is a site concerning tenant/ landlord law in maryland.here

nbcrusader said:
I'll try to look into Maryland law on this later tonight. In CA, you have the right to make repairs and then deduct the amount from your rent (certain notice requirements apply).
This may be true in some states. However, what I have been able to find out about Maryland is some stupid law called escrow rent account. It states that the tenant must go to court and file an action to open an escrow rent account. The tenant pays all their rent and the owner does not get it until repairs are made.

This is a poor deal for the tenant and a good deal for the landlord. Tenant must pay, when owner makes repairs, owner gets rent.

In liberal CA tenants have much better consumer protection laws. As a landlord I support fair laws for tenants.

That's all I could find too. And it has to be serious repairs like the ceiling caving in or no heat or water.

Stupid laws. :mad:

:scream:

You should call Silver Spring municipal offices and/ or Montgomery County offices.
Local codes may have more teeth than this poor state law.

Seriously, don't you work for a U. S. Congressman. A tactful letter on office stationary stating concerns about the repairs/ or lack of in your apartment would probably get their attention in a hurry. It is my understanding that constituent letters are a common practice. (I have Chris Cox on speed dial)

can I just come and have a little cry in your thread

I am in the midst of painting my bathroom ( between coats, waiting for it to dry) The colour is awful, gross , gross , gross, I don't wanna go back in there.......:scream: :scream: :sad: :sad:
I hope you get some satisfaction megganie, It seems like most things, you'll have to fight for it and prove it.
Good luck in your move.:wave:

deep said:
You should call Silver Spring municipal offices and/ or Montgomery County offices.
Local codes may have more teeth than this poor state law.

Seriously, don't you work for a U. S. Congressman. A tactful letter on office stationary stating concerns about the repairs/ or lack of in your apartment would probably get their attention in a hurry. It is my understanding that constituent letters are a common practice. (I have Chris Cox on speed dial)

The problem is that I'm not a constituent anymore. I don't have a KY address, and I'm not registered to vote in Maryland. :reject:

The kid from What About Bob? works in Chris Cox's office. I used to see him on the elevator a lot. He looks EXACTLY the same has he did in the movie, just taller. :lol:

Much happier now :):):)

:yes: :wave:much happier now
:yes: :wave: it's kind of a cross between these two colours, a bit confronting.I like my restful blues, but we have ended up with yellow. But it looks much much better after the second coat, much much much :):):)
Just thought I'd tell you that.

I went to the management office in person this morning to report all of this stuff for the fifth time and said that the hole in my wall needs to be repaired immediately. Nothing has been fixed. The tub faucet in one of the bathrooms won't stop running, and the other one is tripping non-stop. :scream: :sad:

Put everything in writing and get the name of the person you give it to. Be nice, and polite.
It is my experience one gets a better result with a paper trail.

This is turning into a nightmare. It's been 8 days and I've called every day, gone to the office in person, written a letter, and had a coworker who's notorious for getting things done call on my behalf. They hung up on him. I am SO angry about all of this, because I KNOW they will try to take it out of my deposit when I leave and because I have NO privacy with a fucking HOLE in my shower wall. :mad: :scream: :sad:

I don't have duct tape. I've had to use Scotch tape and a piece of cardboard, so I can't take showers, just baths. :sad:

Meggy you should move into my building. My toilet started leaking tonite at 6:30 and I told my landlord and she had roto rooter out here by 8:00pm. :| :heart:

Back
Top Bottom