Hope of the states....WTF!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boystupidboy

Refugee
I've just listened to hope of the states 'Black dollar bill'(i think thats what its called).Oh my lordy.....it was fuckin' ace!!!
Who are this band?I assume they are american.Have they been going long?How many albums have they had?Is black dollar bill a fair reflection of their sound?
Too many questions i know but i'm curious and need more information:| Thanks:| :|

They're British, that song is a good reflection of their sound, their album is quite enjoyalbe, you really should have used the band index.

u2popmofo said:
They're British, that song is a good reflection of their sound, their album is quite enjoyalbe, you really should have used the band index.

I think the concept of the band index is wasted on a lot of people :|

Lara Mullen said:

I think the concept of the band index is wasted on a lot of people :|

it just goes to show...

what's that saying we have? i believe it's phrased as a question in a thread about 44 pages at the moment. ;)

IWasBored said:

it just goes to show...

what's that saying we have? i believe it's phrased as a question in a thread about 44 pages at the moment. ;)

I don't know if I could repeat it here. That would be wasted too. :wink:

yertle-the-turtle said:
they're Brits I think

ask HeartlandGirl

*proud to be considered a Hope of the States officianado*

With that having been said, people need to use the damn band index! :scream:

Here's an excerpt I posted in the 2354366th Killers thread:
At the top of this forum, there is a very nice thread called: B&C Band Index. It's even marked important, so it must mean something I think. It even says PLEASE READ between brackets (and in proper capitalisation, which I only changed for emphasis purposes)
If you can't find it, here's the link: http://forum.interference.com/t115814.html

In it you find links to the most recent threads about a certain band.

boystupidboy said:
I assume they are american.

This isn't a personal jab at you, don't worry. :)

Has anyone noticed recently a lot of British bands mistaken for being American? I've met lots of Americans [online] who all thought Zeppelin, Floyd, Radiohead, Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand were all American...but I honestly have to say there is a great difference in style between US and UK groups and haven't actually seen a US group/artist that I thought was English beforehand, except Scissor Sisters who don't seem to be having quite the same impact over in the states.

Okay, I used the damn band index but this thread is actually more about the band index than the band I want to talk about. :mad:

Anyway, so I've gone completely ga ga over "Black Dollar Bills", thanks to HeartlandGirl. Will I like a whole record?

joyfulgirl said:
Anyway, so I've gone completely ga ga over "Black Dollar Bills", thanks to HeartlandGirl. Will I like a whole record?

I'm going to say 'yes' also. I bought the album after hearing only "Black Dollar Bills," and I love it. I can't remember for sure, but I think that was the only song mofo had heard before buying it, and he really likes the album too. So yes, I think the song is indicative of the sound of the rest of the album. There's some beautiful stuff on it. I think it made my top ten of 2004 list too. It's an album you can really appreciate, if that makes any sense.

Glad you like the song. :)

They actually have a copy at my local B&N. I think I have to have it.

I love them as well. I saw them live a couple of years back, and was just totally sold. Great end of the world music, to me... that's meant in a good way!

I really like how they incorporate the dynamics and guitars of post-rock into their 'rock'. Maybe they are post rock, I dont know. I do know I like them. :up:

Then I think you have to have it too, joyful. :D

Funny you should say that, jkayet. The sticker on the front of my copy of the album says "If the world does end, this is what you'd want to walk into the fire to." -NME

Ah, good ol' NME. :wink:

HeartlandGirl said:

Funny you should say that, jkayet. The sticker on the front of my copy of the album says "If the world does end, this is what you'd want to walk into the fire to." -NME

I saw that quote, too, and for a moment tried to figure out if it was good or bad. You know how they take quotes out of context and I thought that could actually be a line from a terrible review for all I know. But judging from the one song I know, I think I get it and if that song is representative of the record as a whole I think I'll like it.

HeartlandGirl said:
Then I think you have to have it too, joyful. :D

Ah, good ol' NME. :wink:
That is pretty funny - I bought my copy in the UK, and they didn't have the quote on there! :)

Ok, I had to listen to "The Lost Riots" after all the talk in this thread. And it really IS terrific end-of-the-world music. I really, really like this album.

Listening to "Black Dollar Bills" while sitting stuck in traffic, looking around at all the other poor drivers on their way to a long day of work too...it was a strange moment. I don't know how to describe it, but I felt such compassion for the whole world. I'd say that's a powerful song.

I think I told you I gave a copy of the mixes you gave me to a friend. So yesterday I called him at work and I heard "Black Dollar Bills" in the background. Before I could say anything he said simply, "This.song." to which I replied, "Yea, I know."

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Maybe it's just me being a music nerd, but I'm really flattered that you liked the mixes enough to share them with your friend. And I'm glad he's enjoying them.

I know how you guys are feeling. I first heard the song when the video was played on Subterranean on MTV2. I was hypnotized. The video really suits the song, too. There have been times when I've listened to it while driving at night, and...it's perfect.

Think I'll listen to the album again right now. You'll have to let us all know what you think once you've had a chance to listen to it enough.

HeartlandGirl said:
Maybe it's just me being a music nerd, but I'm really flattered that you liked the mixes enough to share them with your friend. And I'm glad he's enjoying them.

We love all the music I get turned on to through B&C. We lived together for a year and after meegannie sent a couple of mixes he made me print out her photo and put it on our refrigerator door in homage. :lol: The other day we cranked it up and were rocking out to List of Demands and I was afraid the neighbors were going to complain. So yeah, we're loving it. :)

^ lol

Okay, so I got this and I've listened to it about 4-5 times now and you know it does make me sad. Some of the songs are eery especially in light of the guitarist's death. I get the apocalyptic thing. I like it, though. I like it a lot but I would not reccommend it to anyone who is depressed.

First, I'm glad you were able to find the album and that you are enjoying it.

I don't know what it is, but The Lost Riots doesn't depress me so much as it makes me feel compassionate. It makes me feel at peace. And that goes for all the various songs. I find "Enemies/Friends" to be an uplifting track. Maybe this record makes me feel at peace with all that's wrong in the world???

But yeah, when you take it in the context of their guitarist's death, that changes things a bit.

Back
Top Bottom