Hope of the states....WTF!!!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #16
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Will I like a whole record?
Yes.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Anyway, so I've gone completely ga ga over "Black Dollar Bills", thanks to HeartlandGirl. Will I like a whole record?
I'm going to say 'yes' also. I bought the album after hearing only "Black Dollar Bills," and I love it. I can't remember for sure, but I think that was the only song mofo had heard before buying it, and he really likes the album too. So yes, I think the song is indicative of the sound of the rest of the album. There's some beautiful stuff on it. I think it made my top ten of 2004 list too. It's an album you can really appreciate, if that makes any sense.

Glad you like the song.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

They actually have a copy at my local B&N. I think I have to have it.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:40 AM
I love them as well. I saw them live a couple of years back, and was just totally sold. Great end of the world music, to me... that's meant in a good way!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
I really like how they incorporate the dynamics and guitars of post-rock into their 'rock'. Maybe they are post rock, I dont know. I do know I like them.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Then I think you have to have it too, joyful.

Funny you should say that, jkayet. The sticker on the front of my copy of the album says "If the world does end, this is what you'd want to walk into the fire to." -NME

Ah, good ol' NME.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:28 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl

Funny you should say that, jkayet. The sticker on the front of my copy of the album says "If the world does end, this is what you'd want to walk into the fire to." -NME
I saw that quote, too, and for a moment tried to figure out if it was good or bad. You know how they take quotes out of context and I thought that could actually be a line from a terrible review for all I know. But judging from the one song I know, I think I get it and if that song is representative of the record as a whole I think I'll like it.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Then I think you have to have it too, joyful.

Ah, good ol' NME.
That is pretty funny - I bought my copy in the UK, and they didn't have the quote on there!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ok, I had to listen to "The Lost Riots" after all the talk in this thread. And it really IS terrific end-of-the-world music. I really, really like this album.

Listening to "Black Dollar Bills" while sitting stuck in traffic, looking around at all the other poor drivers on their way to a long day of work too...it was a strange moment. I don't know how to describe it, but I felt such compassion for the whole world. I'd say that's a powerful song.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I think I told you I gave a copy of the mixes you gave me to a friend. So yesterday I called him at work and I heard "Black Dollar Bills" in the background. Before I could say anything he said simply, "This.song." to which I replied, "Yea, I know."

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:26 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Maybe it's just me being a music nerd, but I'm really flattered that you liked the mixes enough to share them with your friend. And I'm glad he's enjoying them.

I know how you guys are feeling. I first heard the song when the video was played on Subterranean on MTV2. I was hypnotized. The video really suits the song, too. There have been times when I've listened to it while driving at night, and...it's perfect.

Think I'll listen to the album again right now. You'll have to let us all know what you think once you've had a chance to listen to it enough.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Maybe it's just me being a music nerd, but I'm really flattered that you liked the mixes enough to share them with your friend. And I'm glad he's enjoying them.
We love all the music I get turned on to through B&C. We lived together for a year and after meegannie sent a couple of mixes he made me print out her photo and put it on our refrigerator door in homage. The other day we cranked it up and were rocking out to List of Demands and I was afraid the neighbors were going to complain. So yeah, we're loving it.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:40 PM
wow, all my favourite bandc people either mocking or making me want to investigate some new music!

more threads like this please!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

^ lol

Okay, so I got this and I've listened to it about 4-5 times now and you know it does make me sad. Some of the songs are eery especially in light of the guitarist's death. I get the apocalyptic thing. I like it, though. I like it a lot but I would not reccommend it to anyone who is depressed.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

First, I'm glad you were able to find the album and that you are enjoying it.

I don't know what it is, but The Lost Riots doesn't depress me so much as it makes me feel compassionate. It makes me feel at peace. And that goes for all the various songs. I find "Enemies/Friends" to be an uplifting track. Maybe this record makes me feel at peace with all that's wrong in the world???

But yeah, when you take it in the context of their guitarist's death, that changes things a bit.