Hootie and the Blowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hootie and the Blowfish. Remember 'em?

Cracked Rear View was one of the highest selling albums of all time, but the albums that followed are pretty much anonymous.

In 2003, they released a Greatest Hits compilation. Remember that?

Cracked Rear View was nothing particularly innovational, yet it sure made millions of record buyers feel good. Their music typified the 1990's and the considerable contentment of the period.

This thread is for general discussion of a long forgotten band who wrote what was arguably the most "feel-good" album of the 1990's.

Also, I think it is high time some people began to question what the legacy of Cracked Rear View was on popular music. What bands do you think bear a strong Hootie and the Blowfish influence?

Most critics accepted that the music was very conservative, yet at the same time, few expressed any real dislike towards the album. It seems that it was just too "nice" to not like.

In retrospect, to me personally, it seems pretty special and essential...

Can't think at this time of what other artists would have been influenced by these guys, but I definitely remember hearing Hootie and the Blowfish's songs constantly throughout the mid 90s. Main reason why I'm not a huge fan of their music-just got insanely overplayed (although I didn't mind "Time" and "I Go Blind" (if I understand right, though, I heard something about the latter song being a cover, but...yeah. Still one of the better ones)).

Also, for some reason, every time I heard "Let Her Cry", I kept expecting the lead singer to continue on with the alphabet :huh:.

Angela

Last edited:
Blues Traveler was also a "feel good" type of band of the 90's/2000. Haven't heard anything from them lately. I think a current one (not really a band though) is Rob Thomas. He's got a pretty good voice, but his music material is very shallow I think. He is very, very much overplayed.

There's a good article about Hootie in the latest Details with Matthew Maconaheyheyhey on the cover. It's about how the band makes its living on the convention, etc circuit now.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Can't think at this time of what other artists would have been influenced by these guys, but I definitely remember hearing Hootie and the Blowfish's songs constantly throughout the mid 90s. Main reason why I'm not a huge fan of their music-just got insanely overplayed (although I didn't mind "Time" and "I Go Blind" (if I understand right, though, I heard something about the latter song being a cover, but...yeah. Still one of the better ones)).

Also, for some reason, every time I heard "Let Her Cry", I kept expecting the lead singer to continue on with the alphabet :huh:.

Angela

i go blind is a cover song from a canadian band called 54-40

Hootie was really popular in my area (Wilmington, NC) prior to making it big nationally because they were already regulars in the local bar scene. (Their hometown of Columbia, SC is only about 3hrs from here.) I even imagine that they could still pull a pretty good crowd here, even though they are considered a 'has-been'.

That's sad really, but you see it a lot. Band comes out, makes great music with mass appeal, radio stations play the album into the ground, then the band's next effort doesn't really strike anyone's fancy because of over exposure. Personally, I love Darius Rucker's voice & Cracked Rear View has been one of my favorite albums since the minute I bought it. :shrug:

They're alright. They ALWAYS play down here in Charleston. It kind of pisses me off that they're basically the only band that EVER COMES HERE, but it's cool that they haven't forgotten their roots and all. I'm pretty sure Darius Rucker lives somewhere around here, too. I've seen him in the Piggly Wiggly a couple times.

ANOTHER NIGHT ALONE IN CHARLESTON. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom