hooking my computer through my stereo receiver - HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I also posted this in the MP3 forum, but thought it would be ok here too.

I am getting a new iMac in a few weeks, and my hope was to replace my stereo system with the computer by downloading all my CD's onto my Mac I could have them at a touch of my fingertips and not have to worry about my messy CD collection.

My problem is that the stock speakers just won't do, even the high end Harmon Kardon Soundsticks aren't really loud enough if you want to play your music for a houseful of people at a party.

I have been told you can hook the mac up to the receiver with a cable that has a 1/8" jack on one end and RCA cables on the other end.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and if it works for them. Is the sound good? Is it as loud as your normal stereo and cd player would be through your receiver?

thanks

i can't give you advice on how to do it, but i know it can be done. senior year @ high school we had a picnic outside, and they had huge speakers like you'd find at a concert hooked up to a laptop. surely someone on here knows how.

good user name!

first, get an adaptor 1/8 to RCA, then get a RCA y-connector. Plug the y-connector into the RCA end of the adaptor and plug the 1/8 into the LINE-OUT port on your sound card.

on the y end, just hook up your left and right plugs into the appropriate ports on your stereo.

Last edited:
make sure you get the correct length of cord, I got a 3 footer that was way too short, had to go back and get a 6 footer that works fine for me.

Re: good user name!

daafish said:
first, get an adaptor 1/8 to RCA, then get a RCA y-connector. Plug the y-connector into the RCA end of the adaptor and plug the 1/8 into the LINE-OUT port on your sound card.

on the y end, just hook up your left and right plugs into the appropriate ports on your stereo.

Hey guys, thanks for your help. I have the new 17 inch, flat screen imac coming in a couple of weeks. one more question for daafish. Why do you need the RCA Y-connector? Can you not just put the RCA plugs directly into the stereo receiver?

thanks again

Re: Re: good user name!

womanfish said:
Why do you need the RCA Y-connector? Can you not just put the RCA plugs directly into the stereo receiver?
i can't tell you why he said you needed them, maybe for some stereos you do. i can tell you though, i didn't need one for mine. :)

U2DMfan said:
the Y connector is the RCA plugs, if you have the RCA plugs, then you have the Y connector:p

this is true...you only have one line out port from your computer. so unless you wanna hear both sides (right and left) coming out of one speaker then you need a y-connector to split the signal.

gppd luck

Back
Top Bottom