Hooker, Oklahoma Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, My Morning Jacket. Some people here rave about them. I haven't heard anything by them, partly because I can't be bothered listening to a band with such a stupid name. Let's see how this goes.

So, the My Morning Jacket song wasn't so bad.

I might be more interested in hearing more of their stuff if their name weren't so appallingly terrible.

:yawn:

Try harder.

Split Enz - "History Never Repeats" - Waiata (2:57)

Agalloch - "Kneel To The Cross" - Of Stone, Wind, And Pillor EP (5:54)

Anathema - "Deep" - Judgement (4:53)

Apocalyptica - "Life Burns!" (feat. Lauri Yl?nen) - Apocalyptica (3:06)

Straitjacket Fits - "Sparkle That Shines" - Hail (3:57)

The Sea, Like Lead - "Anticline/Syncline" - EP Split with Belegost (7:00)

:camera:

WTF?

Straitjacket Fits is frankly the best band name I've ever heard.

Not listening to a band because of the name is dumb. If you like the music, than go for it.

I'll agree with Split Enz because of the Z, but it's not too bad. Straitjacket Fits isn't bad.

I knew that response was coming. :yawn:

I knew the Pearl Jam comment was coming, so what?

What? Sometimes, you're a real fucking idiot, I hope you know that. And don't make any bloody sense. I mean, it's a funny band name. It sounds funny, and if you think about it, it's even funnier, and it's just good all-round.

Compare:

Good band names: Really great band names - Rate Your Music
Bad band names: Really stupid band names - Rate Your Music

Chill. You claim you could never listen to a band with a terrible name, though you listen to Apocalyptica. Come on. :giggle:

Fun fact: just because you like a band, doesn't mean they have a good name. U2 is not a good band name. Porcupine Tree is.

So, the tracklist's done. LMP, as usual it's constructed well. In fact, it's probably the best you've made in terms of flow and cohesion. Pretty much everything fits together and makes sense.

As for the music, on the whole, last time was bad, while this time was boring. Getting better.

Sounds impolite but blame LM for that.

Chill. You claim you could never listen to a band with a terrible name, though you listen to Apocalyptica. Come on. :giggle:

Fun fact: just because you like a band, doesn't mean they have a good name. U2 is not a good band name. Porcupine Tree is.

I haven't listened to Apocalyptica in about two years.

And I never said all the bands I like have good names. In fact, the majority of bands don't. But ragging on Straitjacket Fits just strikes me as lacking a sense of humour or any cleverness. It's a damn good name.

And there's a difference between not having a good name, like The Chills, The Clean, Dream Theater, Pure Reason Revolution (though as a railfan I love their abbreviation), Ride, or U2, and having a name that is completely embarrassing and you'd never want to claim you listen to anybody with such a daft name, like My Morning Jacket or Cat Power.

So, the tracklist's done. LMP, as usual it's constructed well. In fact, it's probably the best you've made in terms of flow and cohesion. Pretty much everything fits together and makes sense.

As for the music, on the whole, last time was bad, while this time was boring. Getting better.

Sounds impolite but blame LM for that.

Bad to boring's a good transition in Axverworld for me, cool beans. If you approve of the flow/cohesion, and people like the songs, I'll do okay I guess.

Why blame him for that?

I haven't listened to Apocalyptica in about two years.

And I never said all the bands I like have good names. In fact, the majority of bands don't. But ragging on Straitjacket Fits just strikes me as lacking a sense of humour or any cleverness. It's a damn good name.

And there's a difference between not having a good name, like The Chills, The Clean, Dream Theater, Pure Reason Revolution (though as a railfan I love their abbreviation), Ride, or U2, and having a name that is completely embarrassing and you'd never want to claim you listen to anybody with such a daft name, like My Morning Jacket or Cat Power.

I still have no idea what's so clever about Straitjacket Fits. Even if I'm missing something important, it still gives me the impression that they make embarrassing shock-metal. Not a good thing.

I will agree with one thing: My Morning Jacket is a terrible name. Spoon is bad too, BTW.

Bad to boring's a good transition in Axverworld for me, cool beans. If you approve of the flow/cohesion, and people like the songs, I'll do okay I guess.

Why blame him for that?

Yeah, is he trying to insult me, backhandedly compliment me or what? He put the "blame LM for that" after a positive comment.

I still don't see the point in writing off My Morning Jacket because you don't like the band name, but that's cool.

I still have no idea what's so clever about Straitjacket Fits. Even if I'm missing something important, it still gives me the impression that they make embarrassing shock-metal. Not a good thing.

I will agree with one thing: My Morning Jacket is a terrible name. Spoon is bad too, BTW.

Shock metal? I'm not even seeing the connection to Cannibal Corpse.

Yeah, Spoon's a shocker.

I still don't see the point in writing off My Morning Jacket because you don't like the band name, but that's cool.

Or saying that I have no right to comment on band names because Weezer was on my last list. Especially since I couldn't care less about band names if I tried. Most of them are bad/uninteresting.

Why blame him for that?

:laugh: Glad you see it that way. I thought it came across rude but LM put me in a bad mood so I couldn't be arsed phrasing it in a nicer way.

To be honest, I've had a few conversations with L-Mel, aka Flow-Jo, about flow and such, but really don't think I got too much from him. If anything, I see it as a natural progression from my last list, but it's more diverse and stronger from start-to-finish. The songs, however, aren't as great, but that's due to the fact that I've used a lot of my absolute favorite songs already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom