Hooker, Oklahoma Superthread - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #781
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I still don't see the point in writing off My Morning Jacket because you don't like the band name, but that's cool.
Because I wouldn't want to be embarrassed simply by mentioning the name of a band I listen to? I actively avoid embarrassing things.

U2 and Porcupine Tree are bad enough for me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-25-2008, 01:34 AM   #782
The Male

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Shock metal? I'm not even seeing the connection to Cannibal Corpse.

Yeah, Spoon's a shocker.
No, not Cannibal Corpse exactly...the mental picture is more akin to this:

Now.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #783
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Quote:
Glad you see it that way. I thought it came across rude but LM put me in a bad mood so I couldn't be arsed phrasing it in a nicer way.
I trust your judgment on the mood/production of music, but not individual taste. Again, no big deal about that. An improvement over the D+?

I understand that, just wondering why you said it is all.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #784
Vocal parasite

... I'm still not seeing the connection there, LM.

Scorched Earth Policy is the one Dunedin Sound/Flying Nun band whose name I think sounds more like a metal band of some description.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-25-2008, 01:36 AM   #785
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Because I wouldn't want to be embarrassed simply by mentioning the name of a band I listen to? I actively avoid embarrassing things.

U2 and Porcupine Tree are bad enough for me.
From the guy that listens to metal often, arguably the most made-fun-of genre of music apart from bubblegum pop, I don't see why you'd worry about that. Not knocking that you like it, just stating a fact.

Death Cab for Cutie's a terrible band name, love their music though.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:36 AM   #786
The Male

Quote:
To be honest, I've had a few conversations with L-Mel, aka Flow-Jo, about flow and such, but really don't think I got too much from him. If anything, I see it as a natural progression from my last list, but it's more diverse and stronger from start-to-finish. The songs, however, aren't as great, but that's due to the fact that I've used a lot of my absolute favorite songs already.
Yeah, you either have flow or you don't. Doesn't come from osmosis, that's for sure. Otherwise we'd all be atmosphere geniuses after these discussions with Axver and Screwy.

Now.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #787
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I trust your judgment on the mood/production of music, but not individual taste. Again, no big deal about that. An improvement over the D+?

I understand that, just wondering why you said it is all.
I'd definitely give this one at least a C/C+. Ignoring the actual quality of the songs and going simply for flow, cohesion, and all that stuff, you're breaking into A territory. If our tastes were more similar, I know I'd love listening to your tracklists because you put them together well.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #788
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'd definitely give this one at least a C/C+. Ignoring the actual quality of the songs and going simply for flow, cohesion, and all that stuff, you're breaking into A territory. If our tastes were more similar, I know I'd love listening to your tracklists because you put them together well.
Awesome, same with yours. I'm glad we see eye-to-eye on this.

At least you take the time to listen. I know for a fact that Soundscape Expert Screwy does not and actively votes against me because it's me, I've got the proof, fellas.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #789
The Male

Quote:
... I'm still not seeing the connection there, LM.

Scorched Earth Policy is the one Dunedin Sound/Flying Nun band whose name I think sounds more like a metal band of some description.
The name is Straitjacket Fits...the guy is in a straitjacket...I dunno.

Scorched Earth Policy sounds like a band name Al Gore would come up with.

Now.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #790
Vocal parasite

Quote:
From the guy that listens to metal often, arguably the most made-fun-of genre of music apart from bubblegum pop, I don't see why you'd worry about that. Not knocking that you like it, just stating a fact.

Death Cab for Cutie's a terrible band name, love their music though.
Yeah, but I tend to join in on making fun of thrash metal, hair metal, NWOBHM, grindcore, metalcore, and the more juvenile side of death and black metal. I think there's quite a difference in band name quality between, say, Cynic and Killswitch Engage.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #791
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

After saying Straitjacket Fits out loud... yeah, it is a lame name. Dire Straits, however, is an awesome name no matter what.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #792
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah, but I tend to join in on making fun of thrash metal, hair metal, NWOBHM, grindcore, metalcore, and the more juvenile side of death and black metal. I think there's quite a difference in band name quality between, say, Cynic and Killswitch Engage.
See, I don't know very many delineations of metal except for Hair Metal and Death Metal, so you lose me a bit there. Sometimes I think you invent the genres as you go.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #793
The Male

Quote:
After saying Straitjacket Fits out loud... yeah, it is a lame name. Dire Straits, however, is an awesome name no matter what.
They're similar in a way, but I agree, Dire Straits is brilliant.

Now.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #794
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Awesome, same with yours. I'm glad we see eye-to-eye on this.

At least you take the time to listen. I know for a fact that Soundscape Expert Screwy does not and actively votes against me because it's me, I've got the proof, fellas.

Really? I expected a little better from him.

I am hopeful you'll enjoy my DI V tracklist a bit more than my past entries. I've just got to get it transferred over to this computer from the one without Internet access so that I can upload it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #795
Vocal parasite

Quote:
You've got the wrong accent, though.

Every vowel should be pronounced something close to a 'u'. Every vowel.

And yeah, Dire Straits is a great name. I just wish all their material were as good as Telegraph Road.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread