Hooker, Oklahoma Superthread - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #421
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Ooh, Bono was speaking Greek at the Thessaloniki show.

Would have loved to have heard that.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #422
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Hi Mizza!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #423
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Ah, I was wrongly thinking that they got as much a share most tours as they did during Zoo TV. I stand corrected - as I would regarding any discussion about U2 tours and setlists with you. I thought they played Italy a lot because Bono would say some bullshit about them being kindred spirits with the Irish for some reason.

Still, that's one more concert than Australia for Italy, for that tour. Shits me that they'd rather play some hick town in the States twice than go over to another country.
he says this (kindred with irish) about the us, israel, italy, pretty much wherever it's convenient.

i do hear you about them overplaying the us vs europe and australia, but you have to acknowledge that the us is practically as big as europe, was richer until this decade, and is easier to get to than down under.

but i hear you.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #424
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
hey ya'll!
looks like i missed some great conversation when i left last night. damn shame too, since i didn't fall asleep til hours later.

and...inflatable sex sheep??
go back a few pages
Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #425
Vocal parasite

Odd live U2 stats time: Although U2 played Portugal in 1982, they never got around to Spain until 1987. Since then, Spain has been played on every tour apart from Lovetown, while Portugal was only hit in 1997 and 2005.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #426
Blue Crack Addict

hong kong would be cool
Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #427
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Odd live U2 stats time: Although U2 played Portugal in 1982, they never got around to Spain until 1987. Since then, Spain has been played on every tour apart from Lovetown, while Portugal was only hit in 1997 and 2005.
Droppin' in for a sec.

Hey Ax, what time is it for you right now?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 10:44 AM
1:45am
Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

nearly 2am too much coke !
Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #430
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Italy's really a bizarre case, as U2 seem to sometimes play it decently, like ZooTV, while other times totally neglect it. Popmart was three shows, though one was Reggio Emilia's 150,000. Vertigo was three, they could have easily done five. Probably the most consistently well-played country in Europe in recent years is Germany, despite the fact U2 aren't as popular there as in many other ones.

And yeah, that really pisses me off too. It amazes me how closed their touring has been. I forget the precise number now, but I think they've played a grand total of 31 countries. I know it's around 30-33, but I'm getting very tired. In contrast, BB King has done over 90.

It stuns me that U2 have never played places like Egypt, Russia, India, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Turkey.
Do U2 even study the fanbases in different countries? I'd seriously doubt it. It's enough to make me really angry if it was remotely worth getting angry about.

Over 90!? Come on, U2 - let's see at least 50 before you're all dead. How about they only play one show in the US next tour? I don't think it'd make a huge difference.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'd suggest that on the next tour, U2 should play: Moscow, St Petersburg, at least one Baltic capital, Kiev, Bucharest, Athens, Istanbul, Ljubljana, Zagreb, Budapest, Prague, and at least two Polish cities. Sure, it's a huge break with the past, but they totally could do it.

And while they're at it, why not a return to Israel, and maybe a date in one of the more open Persian Gulf states, or Egypt, or Morocco - or hell, even Anathema's done Tunisia!
I would add Belgrade and maybe Sarajevo. Def. Warsaw.

And Tel Aviv, Cairo, Morocco, and S Africa are all totally viable. As I said in WTAHNN though, I will drop dead when they play Sub Saharan Africa, for all the charity work, there isn't enough money to support a full U2 concert, nor is U2 the type of music that's a hit there. But if they did go anywehre I'd predict Accra, Dar es Salaam, whatever Botswana's capital is, and maybe Namibia which has some comparative wealth. But still there's no way unless they are willing to drastically lower their ticket prices, both for the economies and interest level in their music.

But man if they hit Accra I'd be so jealous, as I coulda been there if things hadn't fallen through, and I bet I'd have gotten a good spot in GA!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #432
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
1:45am
Alrighty.

Just wanna know what time I should be on for the lul-fest Running Diary.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #433
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

It stuns me that U2 have never played places like Egypt, Russia, India, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Turkey.
also wealthy enough, tho i dunno about fanbase: singapore, phillipenes. thailand might support 1 show, i'm not sure.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #434
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
he says this (kindred with irish) about the us, israel, italy, pretty much wherever it's convenient.

i do hear you about them overplaying the us vs europe and australia, but you have to acknowledge that the us is practically as big as europe, was richer until this decade, and is easier to get to than down under.

but i hear you.
It would be one thing if they were selling out stadiums left, right, and centre throughout the US. But they're not. To play places like Louisville, Tampa, Omaha, and whatever, they need to do arenas. A couple of Midwest arena shows on Elevation didn't even sell out.

Meanwhile, all five of the major Aussie cities are a guaranteed stadium sell-out, multi-stadium sell-out in some cases, and I'm sure they could do just as well outside of those centres too.

I do not think this would be an unrealistic Aussie/Kiwi tour:
- Auckland x2
- Wellington or Christchurch
- Brisbane (possibly x2)
- Sydney x2
- Canberra or Newcastle
- Melbourne x2
- Hobart
- Adelaide
- Perth

If they felt really ballsy, do both Wellington and Christchurch and both Canberra and Newcastle (though that could threaten x2 in Sydney), and hit Cairns.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #435
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
nearly 2am too much coke !
You're just excited.

Tags
superthread