Hooker, Oklahoma Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't have a comeback here.

I have been completely owned.

Fuck.

Yeah I have no idea how promo events work. I assume I'd learn about them here but it'd be a risk to take vacation, show up where hte event is, and then not get in. does being a hot chick help?

I think that for the mini-shows for TV programmes, it's for prebooked people on the show's waiting list and it's just your good luck if you get the right week. Irving Plaza - which is US, I know - was competition winners.

Though I'm sure there are ways you could get in ... :wink:

:hmm: an upside to the shitty dollar. maybe they will do a longer europe leg adn then a longer us leg, or vice versa. i need europe first though.

Yeah, it's getting to the point where Europe is more economic to tour, and MORE of Europe is economic to tour - U2 has barely even touched Eastern Europe and it's turning into quite the concert-hungry market these days. Two legs in the US nowadays without a second European leg is starting to look completely ridiculous. I think it says it all that U2 feel they need to do arenas in the US because vast markets are too weak to sustain stadiums, while ANYWHERE they choose to play in Europe would be stadiums, even previously untapped markets.

lol why were you silent for so suspiciously long?

thanks guys :wave:

i'll be back every time endnoteweb slows down

The thread went quiet so I went to make a 1am snack.

Then I came back to find I got owned in my absence. And that my absence compounded the ownage.

I think that for the mini-shows for TV programmes, it's for prebooked people on the show's waiting list and it's just your good luck if you get the right week. Irving Plaza - which is US, I know - was competition winners.

Though I'm sure there are ways you could get in ... :wink:

Yeah, it's getting to the point where Europe is more economic to tour, and MORE of Europe is economic to tour - U2 has barely even touched Eastern Europe and it's turning into quite the concert-hungry market these days. Two legs in the US nowadays without a second European leg is starting to look completely ridiculous. I think it says it all that U2 feel they need to do arenas in the US because vast markets are too weak to sustain stadiums, while ANYWHERE they choose to play in Europe would be stadiums, even previously untapped markets.

what about brooklyn bridge? was that just show up and see it?

it'd be awesome if they toured more of eastern europe, as i like traveling there. especially untapped markets would be eager to see them for the first time. it'll be interesting to see what they do, i feel like they think they have a stronger fan base in the us or something and that's why they keep touring here more, but that isn't true.

I think it's fucking pissweak they play a trillion shows in Italy each tour but they've only played Greece once.

You already knew that, though.

Actually, Italy is woefully underplayed. Sure, it got plenty of gigs on ZooTV - two on the first European leg, eight on the second European leg - but otherwise it has been lucky to get more than three despite being easily one of U2's best live markets (150,000 at Reggio Emilia in 1997!). They played just ONE Italian concert on Elevation. ONE. And Italy actually wasn't played until 1985 - the likes of France, Holland, Germany, Sweden, and Belgium were already hit by 1981.

But yeah, their performance history in Greece is absolutely pathetic.

And how about no shows in Russia or Turkey. WTF!

what about brooklyn bridge? was that just show up and see it?

it'd be awesome if they toured more of eastern europe, as i like traveling there. especially untapped markets would be eager to see them for the first time. it'll be interesting to see what they do, i feel like they think they have a stronger fan base in the us or something and that's why they keep touring here more, but that isn't true.

Yes, Brooklyn Bridge was a free-for-all.

Europe and South America are by far U2's best markets. Bono's just obsessed with the US and Paul McGuinness is living in the 1980s.

In Eastern Europe, U2 have hit Poland twice, the Czech Republic once, Hungary once, Bosnia once, and Greece once. Bulgaria? Romania? The Ukraine? The Baltic states? Russia? You'd think the Iron Curtain's still down.

Hell, bands like Pearl Jam and Anathema are able to play countries like Slovenia ...

Yes, Brooklyn Bridge was a free-for-all.

Europe and South America are by far U2's best markets. Bono's just obsessed with the US and Paul McGuinness is living in the 1980s.

In Eastern Europe, U2 have hit Poland twice, the Czech Republic once, Hungary once, Bosnia once, and Greece once. Bulgaria? Romania? The Ukraine? The Baltic states? Russia? You'd think the Iron Curtain's still down.

Hell, bands like Pearl Jam and Anathema are able to play countries like Slovenia ...

Slovenia's the wealthiest of that bloc - always were kinda austro hungarian more than yugo/soviet, and were the first to get their shit together for the euro.

I think it's fair to give them a decade to adjust to no iron curtain, access to the music, getting up the currency to support u2

But this tour they should definitely play ex USSR, Baltic, Balkans, and Moscow/Petersburg. And they should play all the cities on the Easyjet route from where I'm living!!!

Actually, Italy is woefully underplayed. Sure, it got plenty of gigs on ZooTV - two on the first European leg, eight on the second European leg - but otherwise it has been lucky to get more than three despite being easily one of U2's best live markets (150,000 at Reggio Emilia in 1997!). They played just ONE Italian concert on Elevation. ONE. And Italy actually wasn't played until 1985 - the likes of France, Holland, Germany, Sweden, and Belgium were already hit by 1981.

But yeah, their performance history in Greece is absolutely pathetic.

And how about no shows in Russia or Turkey. WTF!

Ah, I was wrongly thinking that they got as much a share most tours as they did during Zoo TV. I stand corrected - as I would regarding any discussion about U2 tours and setlists with you. :wink: I thought they played Italy a lot because Bono would say some bullshit about them being kindred spirits with the Irish for some reason.

Still, that's one more concert than Australia for Italy, for that tour. Shits me that they'd rather play some hick town in the States twice than go over to another country.

Slovenia's the wealthiest of that bloc - always were kinda austro hungarian more than yugo/soviet, and were the first to get their shit together for the euro.

I think it's fair to give them a decade to adjust to no iron curtain, access to the music, getting up the currency to support u2

But this tour they should definitely play ex USSR, Baltic, Balkans, and Moscow/Petersburg. And they should play all the cities on the Easyjet route from where I'm living!!!

Yes, you and I know that about Slovenia, but U2/McGuinne$$ probably look at it and go "oh, such a small country, we'd never sell out a stadium and it probably hasn't got an arena".

The funny thing is, the post-Iron Curtain shows that have been done, were mostly close after the end of communism. Hungary was 1993 and Poland (first time; second was Vertigo), Czech Republic, and Bosnia were 1997 (as was Greece). Despite the place really having its shit together by Vertigo, U2 all but ignored it.

I'd suggest that on the next tour, U2 should play: Moscow, St Petersburg, at least one Baltic capital, Kiev, Bucharest, Athens, Istanbul, Ljubljana, Zagreb, Budapest, Prague, and at least two Polish cities. Sure, it's a huge break with the past, but they totally could do it.

And while they're at it, why not a return to Israel, and maybe a date in one of the more open Persian Gulf states, or Egypt, or Morocco - or hell, even Anathema's done Tunisia!

Ah, I was wrongly thinking that they got as much a share most tours as they did during Zoo TV. I stand corrected - as I would regarding any discussion about U2 tours and setlists with you. :wink: I thought they played Italy a lot because Bono would say some bullshit about them being kindred spirits with the Irish for some reason.

Still, that's one more concert than Australia for Italy, for that tour. Shits me that they'd rather play some hick town in the States twice than go over to another country.

Italy's really a bizarre case, as U2 seem to sometimes play it decently, like ZooTV, while other times totally neglect it. Popmart was three shows, though one was Reggio Emilia's 150,000. Vertigo was three, they could have easily done five. Probably the most consistently well-played country in Europe in recent years is Germany, despite the fact U2 aren't as popular there as in many other ones.

And yeah, that really pisses me off too. It amazes me how closed their touring has been. I forget the precise number now, but I think they've played a grand total of 31 countries. I know it's around 30-33, but I'm getting very tired. In contrast, BB King has done over 90.

It stuns me that U2 have never played places like Egypt, Russia, India, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom