Hooker Corner, Indiana Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh I understand that. It's so tempting to be here all day everyday . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . but only losers would be here every day:shifty::lmao:

i would be here everday but it's a one computer housdhold :mad:

:madspit: :laugh:

You know you're in trouble when you buy a second computer just so you can post on Interference. :wink:

So, Ian, stupid transport fans.

A heritage locomotive in Victoria has recently had a small amount of paint added to the front of the locomotive to improve its visibility at level crossings, above and beyond the requirements of visibility regulations. It is not like any kind of paint it would have worn during its operational life, though it is currently actually on loan from its heritage organisation to run regular freight trains due to a motive power shortage.

There is a thread on Failpage Australia running to over fifty posts of people ranting about how this tiny bit of paint is an absolute disgrace and destroys its heritage value.

:|

So, Ian, stupid transport fans.

A heritage locomotive in Victoria has recently had a small amount of paint added to the front of the locomotive to improve its visibility at level crossings, above and beyond the requirements of visibility regulations. It is not like any kind of paint it would have worn during its operational life, though it is currently actually on loan from its heritage organisation to run regular freight trains due to a motive power shortage.

There is a thread on Failpage Australia running to over fifty posts of people ranting about how this tiny bit of paint is an absolute disgrace and destroys its heritage value.

:|

That's ridiculous.

About as bad as people complaining about the retro liveries US Airways put on their planes shouldn't have been done because they're now on Airbus A319 planes, and when the liveries were in regular use they were never on any Airbus planes.

About as bad as people complaining about the retro liveries US Airways put on their planes shouldn't have been done because they're now on Airbus A319 planes, and when the liveries were in regular use they were never on any Airbus planes.

Oh for god's sake. Stop being such tightly wound arseholes and enjoy the fucking hobby. At least it's a nod to heritage!

Oh for god's sake. Stop being such tightly wound arseholes and enjoy the fucking hobby. At least it's a nod to heritage!

It's usually from the "If it ain't Boeing i ain't going" frontal lobotomy brigade, and they usually get called out for it.

There was one guy who compared that British Airways crash earlier this year to the Air France one in Toronto a few years ago, claiming it's a testament to the way Boeing build their planes compared to the Airbus that crashed in Toronto because the Boeing didn't break up.

Of course, he didn't mention that the one in Toronto didn't just run off the runway, it also ran down a ravine while the British Airways one just landed hard - really hard - on the grass.

Here we go, here's the subject of the bickering.

2153171660103665438S600x600Q85.jpg

See those white and black stripes at the bottom at the front? It's paint that can be easily removed. Here's some comments about it:

VRfan on Railpage Australia said:
The livery is one of the most visible modifications that can be made to an object. If a heritage loco should be painted as a heritage loco. If you don't treat it as a heritage object (including the livery), then what exactly is the point of "preserving" it?

VBAndy on Railpage Australia said:
I admire that the group is thinking about safety, but its cost this paticular loco some of its historic value. Out of all heritage units wearing a VR livery, T413 looks the least heritage of them all. It looks like "what the VR would have done if they were still around."
[...]
If it was a requirement of running on the mainline that heritage units be painted in high-vis, then its a simple fact of like it or lump it. But at this moment its something we don't need, and shouldn't tarnish the heritage values until theres no other option.

The future looks bleak enough with politics and red tape without some twat on a power trip playing trains, reckoning this would look good if I add some silver here and a wanky logo there.

It just keeps going like this. Good lord! It's such a tiny little bit of paint and they get all worked up over it.

Here we go, here's the subject of the bickering.

2153171660103665438S600x600Q85.jpg

See those white and black stripes at the bottom at the front? It's paint that can be easily removed. Here's some comments about it:

It just keeps going like this. Good lord! It's such a tiny little bit of paint and they get all worked up over it.

Fap fap fap. Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap. Fap. Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap.

Fap fap fap!

It's usually from the "If it ain't Boeing i ain't going" frontal lobotomy brigade, and they usually get called out for it.

There was one guy who compared that British Airways crash earlier this year to the Air France one in Toronto a few years ago, claiming it's a testament to the way Boeing build their planes compared to the Airbus that crashed in Toronto because the Boeing didn't break up.

Of course, he didn't mention that the one in Toronto didn't just run off the runway, it also ran down a ravine while the British Airways one just landed hard - really hard - on the grass.

:laugh: Oh good god. I love ultra-partisan types. Well, as long as it doesn't materially hurt heritage. All around the world, a lot of rail heritage organisations had disputes about whether they were just preserving steam locomotives, or diesels and electrics too. The upshot of it all was that some first generation diesels didn't get preserved because dickheads were too busy prattling on about the superiority of steam and "this is a STEAM RAILWAY!!!" and they didn't want any of that nasty diesel stuff that replaced steam on the main lines. We've effectively lost the original DF class in New Zealand thanks to these twits. There's one still lingering about, but in poor condition and subject to ownership pissing contests and I fear it'll become beyond repair.

Though most of the time, the disputing parties usually just focus on cataloguing and restoring what they like rather than throwing a spanner in the works. Fans of English Electric diesels will maintain them, fans of General Motors diesels will maintain them, the steam guys will do their thing, nobody's in anybody's hair, and everyone's happy.

Fap fap fap. Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap. Fap. Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap.

Fap fap fap!

:lmao:

Exactly!

I can't believe there are fucking essays in this thread about such a tiny, insignificant lick of paint that at a moment's notice could be removed without any harm caused to the locomotive. God, these guys want to fucking freeze time and give a paint scheme more significance than it ever had when it was actually applied.

Also, i'm glad you pointed out the offending part...because i'd not have noticed it otherwise.

Oh, it gets worse. One other guy is bitching about the yellow handrails along the length of the locomotive. Apparently, since the handrails are a modern-day fitting and not heritage, they should be painted in a colour that will most adequately obscure them so that his precious 1970s eyes can't notice that they're there.

Personally, I like the yellow handrails.

Oh, it gets worse. One other guy is bitching about the yellow handrails along the length of the locomotive. Apparently, since the handrails are a modern-day fitting and not heritage, they should be painted in a colour that will most adequately obscure them so that his precious 1970s eyes can't notice that they're there.

Personally, I like the yellow handrails.

For fucks sake!

That would be like people complaining about this livery saying A319. Because they used to have the aircraft type written there, they'd rather it say a type other than what that aircraft is just because it was originally not on an A319.

Frankly i'd say if that was done it would make it a less legitimate heritage livery.

1363086.jpg

For fucks sake!

That would be like people complaining about this livery saying A319. Because they used to have the aircraft type written there, they'd rather it say a type other than what that aircraft is just because it was originally not on an A319.

Frankly i'd say if that was done it would make it a less legitimate heritage livery.

1363086.jpg

Yeah, to me, what they've done is a fantastic example of heritage. Too many people seem to think heritage is about freezing a moment in time. I hate regressive attitudes like that. I mean, how far should you go? If you want your loco or plane or whatever to be true to the 1970s, should everybody who gets on board wear 1970s clothing? Should nobody born after the 1970s be allowed to ride it? Should anybody who doesn't look like they did in the 1970s be banned from it? What about photographing it - do the visible buildings still look 1970s? Are there no post-1970s cars nearby? Are all the trees at their 1970s height? Et cetera, et cetera. It's madness!

But that example you've shown, taking the heritage livery and appropriately adapting it to the A319, keeps the heritage alive. It's progressive and acknowledges time has moved on, but respects and maintains the past as well. :up:

I see you're lurking Rob. I'll just say this - if you are going to contribute something other than "OMG COLDPLAY SUCKS I H8 CHRIS MARTIN THEY SOUND LIKE U2!!!!11111" i'll respond politely in the Viva La Vida thread.

Not that i should, i ought to wash my hands of that entire trainwreck.

Ian, you just wanted an excuse to post plane pics, didn't you? :laugh:

And if we're going to talk retro, here's Z3 185 in the original 1979 livery that died a very swift death.

Z3.185.jpg

(Plus, it's drawing its power with a trolley poll rather than a pantograph!)

hey whores. i want to put my head through a fucking wall.

i dropped my fucking phone at the supermarket and some cunt has it .

i hope that ax, ali cin and danny dont get any unwanted calls, it has a block on it though.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

:angry:

Well....yeah.

I'll stop now, with this extinct beauty.

1184140.jpg

OK, now that's done really well.

I must admit, I really liked Freedom Air's bright yellow liveries. I'm a sucker for yellow, and it just looked so distinctive and colourful.

hey whores. i want to put my head through a fucking wall.

i dropped my fucking phone at the supermarket and some cunt has it .

i hope that ax, ali cin and danny dont get any unwanted calls, it has a block on it though.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

:angry:

Ah fuck!

Makes me tempted to send obnoxious messages to whatever twat has the phone. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom