Honky Tonk Women Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
I heard this Rolling Stones song on a local classic rock station after a long while. I cannot believe, to this day, that it was released in 1969. Before you guys make any references to the Christopher Walken's cowbell joke, I have to say that the ambience on Charlie Watts' drums makes the song sound like it could be published today. This single was WAY ahead of it's time.
If people thought 'Sgt. Pepper' was from outer space, I wonder what they thought when this was released. Truely underrated as far as revolutionary recordings go.

She blew my nose and then she blew my mind
smielephantin7.gif

I love the way they blended country and blues and rock during the late 60s and 70s. The Stones were gold from the late 60s all the way up to Some Girls. Even Tattoo You isn't bad, but it just doesn't compare to albums like Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers. It's been a slow decline since then, though, with the exception of a few songs on Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge. It's a shame.

I never realized that You Can't Always Get What You Want was originally released as a B-side to Honky Tonk Women. Then they re-released it as a single in 1973.

I really enjoy the Pogues cover version as well. Very different feel. I've got a Billy Joel version, too, but it really just sounds like Billy Joel covering the Stones, very straight-laced cover.

Zootlesque said:

I've always wondered what the hell that line meant? Are we supposed to take it literally? :huh:

Probably something to do with cocaine. For the longest time, I thought that he said "she blew my load, and then she blew my mind.":shifty:

UnforgettableLemon said:
I really enjoy the Pogues cover version as well. Very different feel. I've got a Billy Joel version, too, but it really just sounds like Billy Joel covering the Stones, very straight-laced cover.

Elton John's cover from the 11-17-70 album is very good as well.

Great song :up:

Isn't this basically a re-do of their own song Country Honk though?

Actually, I believe that Country Honk followed Honky Tonk Women. The latter came out sometime around Beggar's Banquet, although I might be wrong.

You guys were right, Honky Tonk Women was released as a single on July 5th, 1969 while Country Honk was released December 5th, 1969 on Let It Bleed.

cdisantis83 said:
Probably something to do with cocaine. For the longest time, I thought that he said "she blew my load, and then she blew my mind.":shifty:

Cocaine makes a lot of sense in that context! Your misheard lyric is hilarious though!

Zootlesque said:

Cocaine makes a lot of sense in that context! Your misheard lyric is hilarious though!

With Mick, drugs and ejaculations are frequent topics of discussion, which always made me think that mine must have been correct. For instance, I always thought that I had misheard this line from Let It Bleed, but it turned out that I was correct: "We all need someone we can cream on, and if you want to, you can cream on me." :huh:

Back
Top Bottom