homestretch-the next month in the nhl - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2002, 09:13 AM   #16
Kid A

Local Time: 10:14 PM
you don't think the Rangers were desperate to get him? I really think you're over-estimating what teams will give up to get a guy making that much money -- who performs like he should be making a merre fraction of that money

Old 03-19-2002, 11:10 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:14 PM
oh i'm sure the rangers were desperate. but as much as bure doesn't show his greatness on the ice, i don't see much of the rangers desperation in the trade.

all i'm saying is 4 months from now bure would have fetched a higher return than Ulanov, Novak and a draft pick.

watch what anaheim gets for kariya(though they are not similar in skill, imo, they are similarly regarded for the trademark value)

Old 03-19-2002, 05:26 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyGrace:
[begin rant]Clarke King of the Tinker Moves does it once again.
yeah the tibbetts thing was pretty bad from a PR standpoint but we'll have to wait and see if that translates on to the ice and dressing room.

picking up oates was pretty shrewd. giving up oullette(sp?) was probably difficult but i think it is safe to bank that one of boucher or cechmanek is going to develop into a more full tender than they are presently.

plus it is supposedly a fairly weak draft and the flyers do have other picks in the early rounds from what i understand.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:54 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 08:14 PM
It was a intresting day on the market.

Bure, Oates, Neuiendyk, Arnott, Poti, York, Kasper. Some big names traded today.

I think the oilers got the edge in their trade. It was a win win for them. Poti was not going to get any better in edmonton and York is a 70 point man with alot of talent. Murray is expendable.

I To tell you the truth i really dont like the Oates trade. He's a great player but he has top 3 yrs left. They gave up one of the best young goalies and 3 picks. I dont know alot to give up for 3 yrs. But since it seems JR might not make it back this season it was nessasary.

I hate to see Colorado do this again this season. First Fluery, then Bourque, Blake. I hate to see team buy players!!

The NJD/Dallas trade i thought was the best. Joe and Lagenbruner will be a great fit in NJ. And Arnott has always been a good player that doesnt have enough heart.

Also, Kobay, i would like to correct you. You said that this draft isnt supposed to be great. It is looking to be the deepest draft in the last 6-7 yrs.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono
Old 03-19-2002, 09:31 PM   #20
Kid A

I vehemently disagree about the arnott not having heart comment, but whatever, it's a bad trade for NJ, they don't sign their own players and they just traded away a guy who is 27 with many good years still ahead of him for a guy who is 36

the only thing that would redeem this trade is if Langenbruner starts realizing some of his offensive potential (oh, and the Devils also surrendered a #1 draft pick, that can't be overlooked)
Old 03-19-2002, 10:33 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman:
Also, Kobay, i would like to correct you. You said that this draft isnt supposed to be great. It is looking to be the deepest draft in the last 6-7 yrs.

well i'll be the first to admit i am not up on the junior game, this is just what i have been told.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:41 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I vehemently disagree about the arnott not having heart comment, but whatever, it's a bad trade for NJ, they don't sign their own players and they just traded away a guy who is 27 with many good years still ahead of him for a guy who is 36

the only thing that would redeem this trade is if Langenbruner starts realizing some of his offensive potential (oh, and the Devils also surrendered a #1 draft pick, that can't be overlooked)
i think it was, for the most part, 2 teams who have gone through similar processes this season(and in the past) getting together to shake things up. arnott's days were numbered in NJ for some time supposedly.

i would also agree that he definetely has heart but would propose that he plays a somewhat 'relaxed' style. he makes the game look easy and is criticized as such in the same way sundin was before he stepped up his emotions in last years late season and playoffs.

it will definetely be interesting to see if neundyk(sp?) can get gomez and the rest of the devils going. with brodeur in net they really are capable of anything if they can get in.

i really can't see room being made for both the NYC area teams as i don't think the habs can afford to lose their playoff spot and they won't. the rangers have the uphill battle not to mention the sabres who won a huge game tonight over the struggling sens are hot at thier heals(buffalo has a tough 3 games ahead of them as they face the northeast's 'axis of evil' in boston, toronto and then back to the sens).
Old 03-20-2002, 03:05 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 08:14 PM
When Arnott played in Edmonton he was quoted, after a terrible performance, saying he doesnt always play with 100%.

He is a good player but will never become the superstar everyone thinks or wishes he can be.

Joe is one of the best character players in the league. NJ needs a player that will turn the teams confidence around. I guarentee NJ will do much better in the playoffs with Joe then they would have ever done with Arnott.

i would like to know your thoughts on a the possible trade Poti for Gomez?

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono
Old 03-20-2002, 03:44 AM   #24
Refugee

[begin rant]Clarke King of the Tinker Moves does it once again. Kent Manderville perfectly good player traded for a rapist, beater of police, and eluder of police at 120mph most recently from what I understand. That should really help to boost team morale right as its sinking again at this lovely point in the season as it does every year. Boucher is a sieve, a lovely one, but a very good one, and the team can't play in front of him. 3-0 lead, give up three quick goals in the third for a tie against the Lightning. The usual theyre totally mental I quit [end rant]

carry on

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man
Old 03-20-2002, 09:59 PM   #25
Kid A

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman:
When Arnott played in Edmonton...

Joe is one of the best character players in the league. NJ needs a player that will turn the teams confidence around. I guarentee NJ will do much better in the playoffs with Joe then they would have ever done with Arnott.

i would like to know your thoughts on a the possible trade Poti for Gomez?

I realize you got to watch Arnott play a lot in Edmonton, but much has transpired since his days in Edmonton. Are we talking about the same guy who scored the Cup-winning goal in 2000? The same guy who has constantly played with aches and injuries for New Jersey? Jason Arnott was the #1 center on a team that came within 1 win of repeating as Stanley Cup Champions, what more do want from the man?!?! He's not Mario Lemieux, nor is he Eric Lindros (thank God for that), but to say that he has no heart is being blind to the last 3 seasons. And once again, Joe is a nice player, but he's old, how many good years does he really have left in him? It just doesn't make sense for a team that doesn't sign its own free-agents to trade for a player that is 9 years older; if it were a team like Philly, Toronto or Detroit doing it, then it would make sense, but considering NJ's philosophy in this respect, it's suspect, unless they plan on changing their strategy, and if so they should start by signing Bobby Holik.

As for trading Gomez, that would have been absolutely dreadful. Gomez has been the victim of NJ failing to sign Alexander Mogilny, and then failing provide a suitable replacement. The one thing I will say about the Arnott-Nieuwendyk trade is that perhaps it will help Gomez continue to mature as a player and person.