Holy crap! The Led Zeppelin Reunion thread!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's only one show right now. A full-blown tour has never been confirmed, and if you click on the link to the story that started this thread, you'll see it no longer mentions tour, just the one show.

Full Press Release:

TRIBUTE TO AHMET ERTEGUN
NOVEMBER 26, 2007
O2 ARENA, LONDON

Harvey Goldsmith Announces A Tribute Concert To The Late Ahmet Ertegun In
Aid Of The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund

LONDON — One of the most eagerly awaited concerts of the decade will
celebrate the life and work of Ahmet Ertegun, founder of Atlantic Records
and much missed mentor to some of the greatest names in music.

Profits from this amazing show will go to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund
which provides students with annual scholarships to universities in the UK,
USA and Turkey. In addition, a music scholarship open to all will be
established at Ravensbourne College in the UK.

The incomparable Led Zeppelin will headline the tribute to the man who
founded Atlantic Records in 1947. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul
Jones will be joined by Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John
Bonham.

In addition, Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings, Foreigner and
Paolo Nutini, all touched by Ertegun’s guiding hand over the years, will
play on the night. Paolo was the final British artist that Ahmet mentored.

It will be a tribute from UK artists that Ertegun worked with in a 60 year
career.

Tickets - £125

Due to the anticipated overwhelming demand for this concert, tickets will
be available by ballot only.

Fans should register their names at www.ahmettribute.com

Names will then be chosen at random. There will be seating and standing
tickets and fans will be able to express a preference at the website.

Due the expected unprecedented demand, tickets will be limited to 2 per
successful applicants per household.

Tickets will not be available from any other source. Please do not take
adverts or publicise any company who claims to have tickets. They will not
be given any. Please advise the public not the purchase tickets from any
unscrupulous source.

namkcuR said:
What about the tour?

I don't think there will be a tour but perhaps like Pink Floyd had said, that they wouldn't rule out the possibility of doing other one-offs for charity. We can only hope.

And what's with them doing the O2 with 20k seats and not going all out with a 90k Wembley gig? Surely that would put in more money to the charity. Weather would be the only answer I could come up with.

phanan said:
It's only one show right now. A full-blown tour has never been confirmed, and if you click on the link to the story that started this thread, you'll see it no longer mentions tour, just the one show.

Thank you for repeating that - it's what I said all along as well.

And I was just gonna post what Slipstream did. That's what happens when you sleep in :happy:

JOFO said:
Well, I haven't heard Jason play the drums since 1988, and back then I would agree he lacks what his dad had in spades.
However:
19 years later, maybe he's learned a few things. And if not, that's ok too. I'd rather it be in the family, as John would have wanted, than Dave Grohl or any other of 1000 drummers take the kit.
Then it's about then money, this feels more about the family that is Led Zeppelin.

He plays drums on a Little Steven album called "Born Again Savage." Adam played bass on it as well. It was released in 1999, I'm not sure if it was recorded earlier than that, and just released in 1999, or if it was recorded in 1999. There was a break between Pop and ATYCLB albums. :shrug:

http://www.littlesteven.com/albums.html

A full tour would be killer!

Last edited:
Slipstream said:

I don't think there will be a tour but perhaps like Pink Floyd had said, that they wouldn't rule out the possibility of doing other one-offs for charity. We can only hope.

And what's with them doing the O2 with 20k seats and not going all out with a 90k Wembley gig? Surely that would put in more money to the charity. Weather would be the only answer I could come up with.

Weather shouldnt discount Wembley these days - it has a roof!

I only hope they will still have the energy to do the songs proper justice live. I'd hate to see them reduced to a slowed down version depending on backup singers and musicians. If that's what they're going to do I hope they stay home. If they can still rock, take it on the road!

thatsnotmypuppy said:

Weather shouldnt discount Wembley these days - it has a roof!

I was thinking that too. All the seats are covered with the retractable roof thingy so my logic was that the ambient temperature inside but people watch football matches all the time through winter....I dunno. Perhaps it comes down to financial corporate stuff.

FitzChivalry said:
Dammit, trying to log in to the website to enter the ticket lottery and it's still down!

I heard over 20 million people have signed up so far. :lol:

That's just insane!

yeah i just heard that on the radio.
i think its obvious they need to do a tour for their fans.
but my guitar teacher told me that robert plant cant sing good anymore:|

^ Yeah, I'm sure that's true. But the guy is, what?, in his 60s? Even in the Page/Plant Unledded songs he couldn't really hit the high notes anymore.

It's the same old question everyone has to answer for themselves: they'll never be what they once were again, but would you rather have nothing at all, or a little piece of the thing that used to be?

That sounds like a title for a new U2 album: "A little piece of the thing that used to be."

FitzChivalry said:
Got in! Signed up!

Woo-Hoo! 1 in 20,000,000 chance of being able to buy 2 tickets.

:laugh: So ridiculous!

O2 holds 20,000

so there are 10,000 chances

So your odds are 1 in 20,000

Not too shabby...........

:wink:

Actually, I just read the whole thing and they've only released 14,500 tickets with some extra left over for V.I.P.s and a couple different package deals.

I just entered for fun. I live in Southern California. As much as I LOVE Led Zeppelin, I'm not sure I could make the trek to London just for one show.

We'll see.

toscano said:

O2 holds 20,000

so there are 10,000 chances

So your odds are 1 in 20,000

Not too shabby...........

:wink:

Those are not the odds lol.

1 in 20,000,000 is much better.

vaz02 said:

Those are not the odds lol.

1 in 20,000,000 is much better.

Assuming a 20,000 seat capacity (we know it will be slightly less now, what I posted were the odds.

It's 1 in 20,000,000 if only 1 ticket is available to the general public

So now it's only a one time thing? Bummer. Good to see they're leaving the door open for possible additional shows in the future.

NO LED ZEPPELIN TOUR AFTER LONDON SHOW, ROBERT PLANT SAYS

Friday, 28 September 2007

Statement comes just days after Dave Grohl offered his drumming services for a Zep tour. by Chris Harris, with additional reporting by Jem Aswad Ever since the three living members of Led Zeppelin confirmed earlier this month that they'll be reuniting for a gig at the O2 Arena in London on November 26, the rumor mill has been rife with speculation that the band - frontman Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones, with Jason Bonham filling in on drums for his late father, John - would follow the appearance with a full-blown tour. But that won't be happening, Plant told British music mag Uncut. He told the mag that November's concert - in honor of Ahmet Ertegun, who signed the band to Atlantic Records in 1969 and died last year at the age of 83 (see "Atlantic Records Co-Founder Ahmet Ertegun Dies") - will be a one-time deal: "There'll be one show and that'll be it," he's quoted as saying. The benefit concert will also feature performances by other Atlantic artists past and present, including Who's Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, Paolo Nutini and Foreigner.

"We need to do one last great show because we've done some shows and they've been crap," Plant said. The group disbanded after John Bonham's death from alcohol poisoning in 1980. Plant, Page and Jones performed at Live Aid in 1985 (with Phil Collins and Chic's Tony Thompson tag-teaming on drums) and at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary show in 1988 with Jason Bonham; they also performed at Jason's wedding. Page and Plant joined forces for two albums and a world tour in the mid-'90s and have performed together sporadically over the years. However, Plant asserted that there will be no tour after the forthcoming show. "Not for me," he told the mag. "But I can't speak for anyone else." The singer said he's actually looking forward to bringing his music career to a close. "I know I'm getting on," he said. "When I do come back from touring, I'm shocked to find a lot of my mates tend to be going to bed far too early, and that means I should probably be doing the same. Maybe I should stop having a good time and get old." The singer recently collaborated with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss on an album called Raising Sand, which comes out next month.

Plant's comments came just days after Foo Fighter frontman Dave Grohl apparently volunteered his services for just such a tour. After saying that he plans to sneak his way into the long-sold-out London show, the former Nirvana drummer added that he wouldn't mind manning the kit for Zep if needed. "[I am] at their beck and call," he told British music weekly the New Musical Express, adding that if he were asked to play with the Zeppelin, "What the f--- do you think I'd be saying? I'd say, 'Hey [Foo Fighters bandmates] Chris [Shiflett] and Taylor [Hawkins], let's take a little break for a few days, I'll see ya later!' But I don't expect that to happen." Grohl further acknowledged that Jason Bonham is the perfect choice to replace his father: "Jason should be the one. Everyone knows that. He's a f---ing phenomenal drummer." Grohl's publicist did not confirm the NME quotes specifically, but noted that he's heard the drummer express great enthusiasm at the prospect of playing with Zeppelin.

This report is from MTV News.

my two cents' worth of ambivalence

Lila64 said:
"We need to do one last great show because we've done some shows and they've been crap," Plant said.

It relaxes me a bit to hear him say that. They've already played together without Bonzo, so they can't really be accused of tarnishing his or their legacy by doing it again now. And maybe on the contrary they can actually erase my lingering memories of the Live Aid and Atlantic Records fiascos, which youtubers refuse to let die. It should be illegal to post that '85 version of Stairway. (Have you ever heard Phil Collins' take on that performance? It's a riot. He admits that he didn't show up for rehearsal, and then blames Tony Thompson for everything.)
That said, of course, none of the other reunions were full gigs, or even close. This time around the band will "play all the songs everyone wants to hear," so that means stairway, and dazed, and all that. And it also means that presumably we're going to get a full set of songs, rather than two-and-a-half hours of five songs, which is probably just as well because I can't imagine they could jam together too well without a ton of touring behind them.
If Bonham were alive, all this would be moot. But what people have said in this thread has been right on - Bonham was the greatest rock drummer ever, on a completely different plane even from Moon, and what he brought to Zeppelin was every bit as important as what the other three brought. There are moments in Zep songs when I am moved almost to tears by the drumming - or rather, by the way the drums interact with the bass and guitar and vocals. In the end it doesn't matter how good Jason is, because even if he were Ginger Baker and Keith Moon rolled into one, he wouldn't be Bonzo. It's not all about technical skill.
None of this means that the show can't kick some serious ass. If I had the money to pay ten thousand dollars for a scalped ticket and to fly to London, I'd do it without regret. But it won't really be Zep.

namkcuR said:
Provided it 'works' and they sound good and really into it and everything, I think it has the potential to be an amazing tour. Just look at the catalog they have at their disposal...

Dazed And Confuzed
Communication Breakdown
Whole Lotta Love
What Is And What Should Never Be
Heartbreaker
Livin' Lovin' Made
Ramble On
Moby Dick
Immigrant Song
Friends
Gallow's Pole
Tangerine
That's The Way
Black Dog
Rock And Roll
The Battle Of Evermore
Stairway To Heaven
Misty Mountain Hop
Going To California
The Song Remains The Same
Over The Hills
Dancing Days
D'Yer Mak'er
The Rover
Houses Of The Holy
Kashmir
In The Light
Bron-Yr-Aur
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone
Achilles Last Stand
All My Love

To say that Led Zeppelin was an incredible rock band is an understatement.

Wheere the hell is Since I've been Loving You????? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom