Holy crap! The Led Zeppelin Reunion thread!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:
It's about fucking time.

Now: when is U2 reuniting?

Dik Evans wants back in! More guitar. :rockon:

It's great that the remaining members are playing again. I'd certainly go see them if I could. I have mixed feelings about calling themselves Led Zeppelin, but the father/son replacement thing would come a bit closer to retaining a legacy compared to the approach other classic bands have taken lately. It's a fine line to walk, and I'm not sure bands like Queen, Inxs, and The Who (especially The Who...who are now half-Who) have done it correctly. Pink Floyd certainly moved on without Syd Barrett. With them, however, it seemed more about using him as true inspiration for some of their greatest material...not just continuing on with a brand and greatest hits tour.

I'm already a victim of the hype, however...just loaded Led Zeppelin IV into my mp3 player to fuel my hike. I was instantly inspired after going here: http://www.led-zeppelin.com :drool:

Edit: If you reload the page, different montages appear. :drool: x at least three.

Last edited:
Remember as well that this is not completely alien territory. Page, Plant, and JPJ have reunited for one-off performances on several occasions, generally with Jason Bonham on drums. The only exception, I believe, was at Live Aid, where Phil Collins (I am 90% sure it was him, at least) assumed drumming duties.

cdisantis83 said:
Remember as well that this is not completely alien territory. Page, Plant, and JPJ have reunited for one-off performances on several occasions, generally with Jason Bonham on drums. The only exception, I believe, was at Live Aid, where Phil Collins (I am 90% sure it was him, at least) assumed drumming duties.

Yeah, the first time was at Live Aid 85 with Phil Collins (!) and Tony Thompson both on drums. Also they had a bass player play during Stairway To Heaven whose name I don't know while JPJ played keys. That performance was pretty bad, seeing how Jimmy's guitar was out of tune.
The 2nd time was in 88 at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary thing at MSG. This was the first time with Jason Bonham. Page was a mess at this concert, and completley botched a few solos. The sound feed to the tv was also horrible. Jason Bonham was fine but his drums sound nothing like his dad's, which is a problem to be honest.
The third time was at Jason Bonham's wedding in 91.
Then Page and Plant did their duo thing in the mid 90's that was actually pretty good.
So, it has been 12 years since any Zep reunion thing.
I just hope Jimmy Page remembers how to play the guitar. Those tunes, comparitively speaking, are not easy to play, and he has seemed out of shape in recent years. Also, Plant's voice is not what it used to be.
If they can tune Jason Bonham's drums like his dad's, he and JPJ can really drive the whole thing, just let Page meander and Plant not hit the high notes. I'd be ok with that.

namkcuR said:
I completely understand why people would have a problem with, say, what Queen is doing. Freddie Mercury WAS Queen. No Freddie, no Queen. That really is absolutely true.

that really is absolutely one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. Freddie mercury was Queen the way John Lennon was the Beatles. what i mean by that is - he was an essential member of the band, along with the other members, who were equally essential.

if freddie were alive and playing with Mott the Hoople as his backing band, would THAT be Queen?

no. and if you think so, you're just wrong.

i feel complete ambivalence regarding the Queen reunion, as with most reunions. Never saw Queen, never will. i agree that freddie mercury was a man of unspeakable talent and influence and importance to modern pop music/culture, and so were/are his bandmates.
the lack of respect for Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon really irks me.

sorry to get off subject.
if zep comes to town, i'm gonna go and get loaded and watch it. or have a zep party that night. hope the black crowes can open it...

JOFO said:

If they can tune Jason Bonham's drums like his dad's, he and JPJ can really drive the whole thing, just let Page meander and Plant not hit the high notes. I'd be ok with that.

It'll take more than tuning, Jason has neither the raw power or subtlety (yes, subtlety) that Bonzo had. Better to have Dave Grohl in place of Bonzo.

Has Dave Grohl even played drums on any kind of a regular basis since Nirvana ended? And does he know all of Zeppelin's songs as well as Jason probably does?

Just give the guy a chance before writing him off.

namkcuR said:
Has Dave Grohl even played drums on any kind of a regular basis since Nirvana ended? And does he know all of Zeppelin's songs as well as Jason probably does?

Just give the guy a chance before writing him off.

Yes, and yes.

Bonzo is his hero, even going to the legth of having his name tattooed on his fingers

I'm not writing Jason off, he's just not the beast fit musically, but obviously emotionally is a good fit

Well, I haven't heard Jason play the drums since 1988, and back then I would agree he lacks what his dad had in spades.
However:
19 years later, maybe he's learned a few things. And if not, that's ok too. I'd rather it be in the family, as John would have wanted, than Dave Grohl or any other of 1000 drummers take the kit.
Then it's about then money, this feels more about the family that is Led Zeppelin.

keeping it in the family would be cool, however. i reckon we should give jason a shot. if he's not up to snuff....

Steve Gorman from the Black Crowes did a great job emulating Bonham on those Crowes/Page tours. he can hit hard and play with soul.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Jason should have his shit together by now and understand what's at stake.
If my father was the greatest drummer in rock history and was in one of the greatest bands in rock history, I'd want to honor his legacy by playing my ass off, and taking over the family buisness, so to speak. Yes, it's a huge role to fill, and maybe he might be anxious over that. I can sympathize. But for his dad's memory, he should step up and kick some fucking ass, as his dad would have wanted.

Led Zeppelin is my all time favorite band - yet for some reason I have no interest in seeing this. :shrug:

Jaon Bonham is a pretty good drummer. John Bonham was great, but you don't have to be the greatest drummer to play his stuff - you do, however, have to be great to write drum lines the way he did. No drummer in rock history has added more a bands songwriting than Bonham. He went way beyond keeping the beat - he added a dimension - one of the few drummers that actually understood that the drums can be as important an instrument as the guitar or bass or voice. High Five to John Bonham! :hi5:

UberBeaver said:

John Bonham was great, but you don't have to be the greatest drummer to play his stuff - you do, however, have to be great to write drum lines the way he did. No drummer in rock history has added more a bands songwriting than Bonham. He went way beyond keeping the beat - he added a dimension - one of the few drummers that actually understood that the drums can be as important an instrument as the guitar or bass or voice. High Five to John Bonham! :hi5:

I agree and hope that Jason will play the parts and tune his drums that way too.
BTW, I just watched the Live Aid thing and Atlantic Records; not good.....not good at all.
Good Lord, I hope Jimmy Page has been practicing.

Again, don't be surprised if they reinterpret the material in such a way that Bonham's thunderous drumming is no longer necessary. Plant, Page, and JPJ have all been showing propensities towards more subtle material as of late. Pete did much the same thing with Endless Wire- notice how many of the songs omitted drums and bass altogether, as if to acknowledge that the contributions of Moon and Entwistle could not be replicated.

JOFO said:

I agree and hope that Jason will play the parts and tune his drums that way too.
BTW, I just watched the Live Aid thing and Atlantic Records; not good.....not good at all.
Good Lord, I hope Jimmy Page has been practicing.

The Black Crowes thing had Jimmy playing at a level he hadn't played at in a long time hopefully he'll at least be up to that

Sounds cool. $400 ticket prices and maybe a shitty reunion track that tarnishes their legacy. :|

Then again, what if they made a kickass album to make up for the fact that the last few were kind of meh? (And that includes Grafitti, you know it's 90% shite.)

Physical Graffitti was not only Zep's last great album, but that is one of the best albums in R n' R history. Their legeacy would have been even more respected if they had just stopped after THAT tour.

Also, I saw Page and Plant on their 'No Quarter' tour in '95. Thinking it was going to suck, I was so surprised by just how awesome they were. Although Page needed a back-up guitarist,
(an ex-Cure guitarist at the time) no JPJ, and there was an orchestra which could have ended up sounding like Elvis in Vegas, they sounded VERY good. Robert especially sang his ass off - high notes and all. They even added a Cure cover to the setlist, in aknowledgement to their touring rythem guitarist, that gave things a spontaneous feel.

Last edited:
Provided it 'works' and they sound good and really into it and everything, I think it has the potential to be an amazing tour. Just look at the catalog they have at their disposal...

Dazed And Confuzed
Communication Breakdown
Whole Lotta Love
What Is And What Should Never Be
Heartbreaker
Livin' Lovin' Made
Ramble On
Moby Dick
Immigrant Song
Friends
Gallow's Pole
Tangerine
That's The Way
Black Dog
Rock And Roll
The Battle Of Evermore
Stairway To Heaven
Misty Mountain Hop
Going To California
The Song Remains The Same
Over The Hills
Dancing Days
D'Yer Mak'er
The Rover
Houses Of The Holy
Kashmir
In The Light
Bron-Yr-Aur
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone
Achilles Last Stand
All My Love

To say that Led Zeppelin was an incredible rock band is an understatement.

All of those and you are still neglecting many classics.:wink:

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
When the Levee Breaks
The Rain Song
Trampled Under Foot
In the Evening
Fool in the Rain
Hey Hey What Can I Do

I think if Robert, Jimmy and John Paul got together with Jason that they WOULDN'T call the band Led Zeppelin. Since John's death in 1980, there is no more Led Zeppelin. Robert has stated such since that time.

namkcuR said:
Provided it 'works' and they sound good and really into it and everything, I think it has the potential to be an amazing tour. Just look at the catalog they have at their disposal...

Dazed And Confuzed
Communication Breakdown
Whole Lotta Love
What Is And What Should Never Be
Heartbreaker
Livin' Lovin' Made
Ramble On
Moby Dick
Immigrant Song
Friends
Gallow's Pole
Tangerine
That's The Way
Black Dog
Rock And Roll
The Battle Of Evermore
Stairway To Heaven
Misty Mountain Hop
Going To California
The Song Remains The Same
Over The Hills
Dancing Days
D'Yer Mak'er
The Rover
Houses Of The Holy
Kashmir
In The Light
Bron-Yr-Aur
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone
Achilles Last Stand
All My Love

To say that Led Zeppelin was an incredible rock band is an understatement.

when the levee breaks?!?:sad:

Justin24 said:
http://www.ledzeppelin.com/ If you go to the official site you can only sign up to their email updates but it has a date set 11/13/07 and some designs with the words Zofo?

Available November 13, Atlantic Records/Rhino Entertainment will honor the Rock & Rock Hall of Famers with the release of "Mothership", a 24-track, two-CD comprehensive collection that spans their illustrious career. All eight of the band's classic studio albums are represented here, with the tracks being personally selected by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones. "Mothership" includes landmark songs such as "Whole Lotta Love", "Immigrant Song", "Kashmir", "Rock And Roll", "Dazed And Confused", and "Stairway To Heaven." The set will also include new liner notes by famed rock writer David Fricke.

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/news/2007/09/0205.html

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/31036

It's going to be interesting to see if they do only a 'greatest hits' tour or if they delve into their extensive back catalogue of deep cuts. Can they pull anything out at any moment, or are they like U2, only able to practice, remember and perform a certain group of songs per tour? They may have trouble remembering them all, it's been a long time been a long time been a long lonely lonely lonely time..

Last edited:
So there is definitely a Led Zeppelin press conference tomorrow at 16.00 BST at the O2 Arena. I wish they could tell us if there will be a webcast.

I'm so excited I'm going to burst!!

Official Announcement

Led Zeppelin reunion

Led Zeppelin will reform for a one off show at the O2 arena in London it was confirmed today (September 12).

The band will reunite for the show in November 26, topping a bill that also includes Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings, Foreigner and Paolo Nutini.The show is being held to raise money for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which pays for university scholarships in the UK, US and Turkey.

Tickets for the show cost £125 each and they are limited to two per person. Tickets will be distributed by ballot only and those wishing to go must register on Ahmettribute.com.

Led Zeppelin will also release a new best of compilation 'Mothership' on November 13.

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/31079

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6990704.stm

Tickets are by lottery, you can register at this website:
http://ahmettribute.com

Back
Top Bottom