Hole of Horcum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:

:laugh:

I've stopped noticing the avatar

But yeah, i also question the feasibility of a second Queensland team.

What I have never understood is why Australian sport seems to not even contemplate having multiple national divisions like the English soccer or the NPC rugby pre-butcherjob. Not the half-arsed lower level competitions they have now. Both the AFL and NRL would, I think, quite clearly benefit from it. Many of the propositions for new teams that are marginal cases would thrive if they entered a second division, and in time could build up enough skill and a financial base to make it in the top flight.

coolian2 said:
Eight times he's gone to the video ref, there have been nine tries scored in the game.

The video ref has given maybe three of them.

I'd be throwing things at the telly by now.

And I think it's about time I made dinner. Pizza for the win.

Axver said:

What I have never understood is why Australian sport seems to not even contemplate having multiple national divisions like the English soccer or the NPC rugby pre-butcherjob. Not the half-arsed lower level competitions they have now. Both the AFL and NRL would, I think, quite clearly benefit from it. Many of the propositions for new teams that are marginal cases would thrive if they entered a second division, and in time could build up enough skill and a financial base to make it in the top flight.

I'm so not down with promotion/relegation in the NRL. For example, in 2005 Newcastle finished last and were in the running to win the comp in 2006.

The lack of stability just fucks everything when it isn't an established set up

Axver said:

I'd be throwing things at the telly by now.

And I think it's about time I made dinner. Pizza for the win.

I would but i think enough televisions have been destroyed by annoyed Dragons fans tonight.

30-18, that chip and chase disaster on halftime really must hurt now.

I hate how cliche SBS's sport reports have become with their lame puns. "Something-or-other allowed the Sea Eagles to swoop." :|

coolian2 said:

I'm so not down with promotion/relegation in the NRL. For example, in 2005 Newcastle finished last and were in the running to win the comp in 2006.

The lack of stability just fucks everything when it isn't an established set up

See, I don't see it as a negative. You play like shit, you deserve to go down. The system seems to work very well in England. Give it time to establish here and I think it'd be brilliant.

Though I do think it's more of an imperative for the AFL than the NRL. It would give some of the dying Victorian clubs another chance at life, and reduce the disparity between states by allowing more interstate teams in.

coolian2 said:

It's not just SBS.

Dragons slay xxx
Eels slip away from yyy
Cats maul zzz
Once were Warriors etc etc

Damn lazy media.

Oh yeah, I see it everywhere else, but I tend to expect SBS to be a bit of a higher class of journalism. They've seemed to be slipping in the last year or so though. :sigh:

Axver said:

See, I don't see it as a negative. You play like shit, you deserve to go down. The system seems to work very well in England. Give it time to establish here and I think it'd be brilliant.

Though I do think it's more of an imperative for the AFL than the NRL. It would give some of the dying Victorian clubs another chance at life, and reduce the disparity between states by allowing more interstate teams in.

I think the AFL could support it, but league supporters are quite fickle. The team goes down the fans will be on to another team in no time. Plus league doesn't have the money to help the bigger clubs that go down, some clubs are struggling to stay afloat now.

And again i point the example of 2005 Newcastle out, they were the best wooden-spooners ever. Would it have been fair to relegate a club that, even today, is financially fucked but not too bad on field?

:lmao: SBS is now showing some piece on how there's controversy in France about how the French entry to the next edition of the Eurovision Song Contest is mostly sung in English and some people - including parliamentarians - think it's an insult to the French culture and language!

They've got their priorities in order, huh!

Axver said:
:lmao: SBS is now showing some piece on how there's controversy in France about how the French entry to the next edition of the Eurovision Song Contest is mostly sung in English and some people - including parliamentarians - think it's an insult to the French culture and language!

They've got their priorities in order, huh!

:laugh:

That's like a congressional hearing into steroids in baseball, except...less ridiculous.

My lovely horse running through the
field
Where are you going
With your fetlocks flowing in the
wind

I want to shower you with sugar lumps
And ride you over
fences
I want to polish your hooves every single day
And bring you to the horse
dentist

My lovely horse you're a pony no
More
Running around with a man on your back
Like a train in the night
Like a train in the....hold on, i can do this...

Niiiiiiiiiiiight.

That's so going in my DI playlist.

coolian2 said:

I think the AFL could support it, but league supporters are quite fickle. The team goes down the fans will be on to another team in no time. Plus league doesn't have the money to help the bigger clubs that go down, some clubs are struggling to stay afloat now.

And again i point the example of 2005 Newcastle out, they were the best wooden-spooners ever. Would it have been fair to relegate a club that, even today, is financially fucked but not too bad on field?

League fans are fickle? The Rabbitohs example seems to contradict that statement. But I can't say I know much about league fans really. Certainly just from living around them, I can tell AFL fans take this thing to be just about a religion and teams would survive relegation - as long as their supporters choose life over suicide in any case.

And since Newcastle didn't perform, I'd say it would've been fair to relegate them. Spend some time rebuilding their core base and financial bottom line in the lower league and use the skill they have to get back to the top.

coolian2 said:
My lovely horse running through the
field
Where are you going
With your fetlocks flowing in the
wind

I want to shower you with sugar lumps
And ride you over
fences
I want to polish your hooves every single day
And bring you to the horse
dentist

My lovely horse you're a pony no
More
Running around with a man on your back
Like a train in the night
Like a train in the....hold on, i can do this...

Niiiiiiiiiiiight.

That's so going in my DI playlist.

:lmao:

Axver said:

League fans are fickle? The Rabbitohs example seems to contradict that statement. But I can't say I know much about league fans really. Certainly just from living around them, I can tell AFL fans take this thing to be just about a religion and teams would survive relegation - as long as their supporters choose life over suicide in any case.

And since Newcastle didn't perform, I'd say it would've been fair to relegate them. Spend some time rebuilding their core base and financial bottom line in the lower league and use the skill they have to get back to the top.

Maybe not the Rabbitohs as much, but most teams, especially around Sydney have pretty fickle fanbases.

:drool: :drool: THE COWBOYS JERSEY
:drool: :drool:

Heritage rounds are a cool idea, that's for sure.

Hope the Super 14/16/291 introduces it at some point down the track.

300_NQC08910.jpg

300_NQC08915.jpg

The heritage jersey pwns the Cowboys current jersey.

History lesson: It's a North Queensland Representative strip, from when North Queensland beat the touring Great Britain side in the 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom