Hole of Horcum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

:lol:

What do you think of the new one on the Gold Coast? Looking from where my mother lives, it looks like a fucking marshmallow or something.

I like it.

Although in a funny way i kind of miss Carrara, which has character. But that's not the fault of the new stadium, given time it will get character too.

coolian2 said:

I like it.

Although in a funny way i kind of miss Carrara, which has character. But that's not the fault of the new stadium, given time it will get character too.

Carrara in many ways had a stigma about it, what with the perception it was just a useless white elephant.

But my stepfather went there back in the days it was the home ground of the Brisbane Bears and he sung its praises. He's said that in that time period, it was probably his favourite stadium.

Also i love the name, Skilled Park.

Which is fucked up, because Geelongs home ground is Skilled Stadium, used to be known as Kardinia Park.

One would think you would called Skilled Park Skilled Stadium so you could give Kardinia some of it's soul back.

:lol: It's stupid. But then, Australia loves doubling up on names. Aussie Stadium and Stadium Australia. Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome. And so on.

Axver said:

Carrara in many ways had a stigma about it, what with the perception it was just a useless white elephant.

But my stepfather went there back in the days it was the home ground of the Brisbane Bears and he sung its praises. He's said that in that time period, it was probably his favourite stadium.

The number of teams that phailed there, it doesn't surprise me it isn't well regarded. I drove past it a few years ago and it looked pretty terrible.

I love the character it has though.

Also, i see that apparently the AFL have a contract with the Gabba that means all games played by a Queensland based team have to be played at the Gabba until 2015 or so.

That's some shit foresight.

Axver said:
:lol: It's stupid. But then, Australia loves doubling up on names. Aussie Stadium and Stadium Australia. Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome. And so on.

At least Aussie Stadium was a naming rights thing, and the two Telstras were in different cities.

At least Telstra Stadium is now ANZ Stadium, which used to be in Brisbane.

Good christ Australia.

coolian2 said:

The number of teams that phailed there, it doesn't surprise me it isn't well regarded. I drove past it a few years ago and it looked pretty terrible.

I love the character it has though.

Also, i see that apparently the AFL have a contract with the Gabba that means all games played by a Queensland based team have to be played at the Gabba until 2015 or so.

That's some shit foresight.

Oh yeah, Carrara's long since stopped looking good. I knew it better as having a handy parking lot than as a sports venue. On occasions when my high school needed plenty of parking and the oval was too wet to be used (or actually in use for the occasion), they actually used Carrara Stadium - it was close enough to walk, though they did use their bus to shuttle the elderly and lazy.

I've heard a bit about that. It's pretty daft, and I wonder if they can terminate the contract? Though let's be honest, Tassie needs an AFL team before QLD gets their second. AFL is pretty much the only sport Tasmanians know besides cricket!

coolian2 said:

At least Aussie Stadium was a naming rights thing, and the two Telstras were in different cities.

At least Telstra Stadium is now ANZ Stadium, which used to be in Brisbane.

Good christ Australia.

I forgot Telstra Stadium's now ANZ Stadium! Ugh, now that's going to make things even more confusing.

Thank non-existent God the 'Gabba is still just the 'Gabba. Though for how long?

And doesn't New Zealand have a shitload of Westpac Whatevers for venues?

Axver said:

I've heard a bit about that. It's pretty daft, and I wonder if they can terminate the contract? Though let's be honest, Tassie needs an AFL team before QLD gets their second. AFL is pretty much the only sport Tasmanians know besides cricket!

$$$

I'll refer you to the Austadiums forum for why that ain't gon' happen.

coolian2 said:
Fuck it, i reckon i can get to 8000 tonight.

Should be easy.

Especially if you do a running diary on a DI tracklist. :wink:

Axver said:

I forgot Telstra Stadium's now ANZ Stadium! Ugh, now that's going to make things even more confusing.

Thank non-existent God the 'Gabba is still just the 'Gabba. Though for how long?

And doesn't New Zealand have a shitload of Westpac Whatevers for venues?

I know of

Westpac Stadium (Wellington)
Westpac Park (i think - Hamilton)
Westpac Arena (Christchurch)

Is it sad i've been to all three?

coolian2 said:

$$$

I'll refer you to the Austadiums forum for why that ain't gon' happen.

Bah!

I must admit that I have a hard time believing a second AFL team in a non-AFL state where one highly successful team has already cornered the market will do better than the first AFL team in an AFL-obsessed state.

coolian2 said:

I know of

Westpac Stadium (Wellington)
Westpac Park (i think - Hamilton)
Westpac Arena (Christchurch)

Is it sad i've been to all three?

I thought there was some indoor Wellington venue sponsored by Westpac too?

Actually at Addington, Christchurch has a really good bunch of stadiums in close proximity. Addington Raceway, Westpac Arena and Rugby League Park.

I don't know why, because it's a tip, but i LOVE Rugby League Park. Probably because it reminds me of an English stadium.

coolian2 said:
I don't know why, because it's a tip, but i LOVE Rugby League Park. Probably because it's a rugby league park.

Fixed.

coolian2 said:

I'm not sure, i know there is the TSB Arena right on the Waterfront. There probably is, actually.

Oh, TSB Arena, that's probably what I'm thinking of.

coolian2 said:

:laugh:

As soon as i walked in i felt as though i was at a lower-league english soccer ground.

It was brilliant, it fits in perfectly with Christchurch.

EDIT: I posted photos of it when we were picspamming too.

:lol: Yeah, that sounds ideal for Christchurch.

I remember photos of Carlaw Park and ... some cricket ground in Christchurch whose name I forget, but not Rugby League Park.

Axver said:

:lol: Yeah, that sounds ideal for Christchurch.

I remember photos of Carlaw Park and ... some cricket ground in Christchurch whose name I forget, but not Rugby League Park.

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

I have more but can't be bothered uploading right now.

But it's a funny ground, when i upload the pictures i'll explain more.

coolian2 said:
STOP GOING TO THE VIDEO REFEREE YOU PRICK.

Mmm, lazy referees.

I hate how often cricket umpires go upstairs for things that obviously are NOT run-outs.

Axver said:

You just like the avatar. :wink:

But that's a fucking shame it wouldn't be financially feasible. But is a second Queensland one going to work? It's not as if the Lions are selling out every home game.

:laugh:

I've stopped noticing the avatar

But yeah, i also question the feasibility of a second Queensland team.

coolian2 said:

[pic snip]

I have more but can't be bothered uploading right now.

But it's a funny ground, when i upload the pictures i'll explain more.

Ah yes, I remember that one now.

Certainly I see what you mean with its Englishness. But that can be said about just about everything in all of Canterbury.

Then go to Dunedin and you might as well be in Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom