Hole of Horcum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the tourist said:

Lots of people in Seattle love Band of Horses.

Oh, not a big crowd here in Central Florida.

I still don't know how I feel about that "running diary," that I'm taking it too seriously or not. Last night it was now, now I'm reading it again and I'm getting pissed.

the tourist said:

They remind me of the (also overrated) Arcade Fire.

I don't hear the comparison, but British Sea Power and Arcade Fire do sound alike.

I'm a big fan of Arcade Fire, but it's cool if you don't like them.

LemonMelon said:

If you keep it within three, you get a point. Where have you been?

I thought that points were awarded by votes. I admit, I haven't paid too close attention--especially since my internet's been weird lately and hasn't enjoyed being friends with interference, sporadically.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I don't hear the comparison, but British Sea Power and Arcade Fire do sound alike.

I'm a big fan of Arcade Fire, but it's cool if you don't like them.

I don't mind Arcade Fire... I just think their songs end up being a lot less grandiose than they should. And the singer's voices can get on my mind sometimes. But I do have the Funeral album. I was disappointed at the final 2 minutes of Wake Up, though, and that's characterized my whole experience with them.

the tourist said:

I thought that points were awarded by votes. I admit, I haven't paid too close attention--especially since my internet's been weird lately and hasn't enjoyed being friends with interference, sporadically.

Well, there you go. If I get another vote, I'll move ahead of LMP.

the tourist said:

I don't mind Arcade Fire... I just think their songs end up being a lot less grandiose than they should. And the singer's voices can get on my mind sometimes. But I do have the Funeral album. I was disappointed at the final 2 minutes of Wake Up, though, and that's characterized my whole experience with them.

I have the same problem with that song, they didn't know how to end their "epic" songs on that album, except for Rebellion.

I prefer Neon Bible.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I have the same problem with that song, they didn't know how to end their "epic" songs on that album, except for Rebellion.

I prefer Neon Bible.

Bite your tongue, sir! Funeral is an emotional rollercoaster. Neon Bible just sounds like Arcade Fire trying to make an Arcade Fire record. But it's still pretty good.

LemonMelon said:
BTW, what I have heard from British Sea Power has been very enjoyable.

Same here. They're coming to town soon, but it's the same night as prom, I think.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I prefer Neon Bible.

I have not heard that one. It's on the very long list of "Albums the lead singer of my band is going to put on my computer for me." That list is about 150 cds long, though, so it will be awhile (as I insist on listening to them, 5 at a time, over 2 weeks).

LemonMelon said:

Bite your tongue, sir! Funeral is an emotional rollercoaster. Neon Bible just sounds like Arcade Fire trying to make an Arcade Fire record. But it's still pretty good.

I think it's more of a natural progression from the darker tracks on Funeral. The Springsteen/Talking Heads influences are definitely heavier on Neon Bible as well.

the tourist said:

I have not heard that one. It's on the very long list of "Albums the lead singer of my band is going to put on my computer for me." That list is about 150 cds long, though, so it will be awhile (as I insist on listening to them, 5 at a time, over 2 weeks).

I could send it to you if you like.

LemonMelon said:

Well, there you go. If I get another vote, I'll move ahead of LMP.

That vote won't be from me, though. I'm not finished with Phanan's list and I've gotta shower and get ready for work and vacuum my room. The girlfriend's coming over after work and I don't want a messy room.

the tourist said:

That vote won't be from me, though. I'm not finished with Phanan's list and I've gotta shower and get ready for work and vacuum my room. The girlfriend's coming over after work and I don't want a messy room.

YLB :madwife:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I think it's more of a natural progression from the darker tracks on Funeral. The Springsteen/Talking Heads influences are definitely heavier on Neon Bible as well.

OK, yeah, it's a good progression. I would say that the Springsteen influences are heightened, and the Talking Heads influences are muted. At least vocally.

Neon Bible's about a 7.5 or 8 for me, while Funeral's probably a 9.

Although, LM, be glad. Why? you might ask? Because at this point, I might be enjoying Phanan's list more than I enjoyed yours.

the tourist said:
Although, LM, be glad. Why? you might ask? Because at this point, I might be enjoying Phanan's list more than I enjoyed yours.

:lol: Perhaps I just met my match this round.

Time to cut my losses and get ready for...whoever I face next. Not sure.

LemonMelon said:

OK, yeah, it's a good progression. I would say that the Springsteen influences are heightened, and the Talking Heads influences are muted. At least vocally.

That's fair.

I love both albums though, and I'll listen to both when in different moods, but NB's a stronger effort overall, methinks.

I'm close to having a bitchout... :|

LemonMelon said:

So if Funeral's a 6 for me, that would make Neon Bible a 4.5 of 5. This makes me look forward to it less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom