Hockey is back!!! 2006-2007: GO OILERS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trevster2k said:
NHL Signs Broadcast Deal With Food Network

March 8, 2007 | Onion Sports

NHL Signs Broadcast Deal With Food Network
The Onion

NEW YORK—Flanked by Food Network president Brooke Johnson and cooking-show host Rachael Ray, Commissioner Gary Bettman announced yesterday that the NHL has opted out of its contract with the Versus cable channel (formerly the Outdoor Life Network) and has reached a long-term broadcasting deal with the Food Network starting in the 2007-08 season.
Enlarge Image NHL And Food Network

"In all my years as commissioner, I have learned that our diverse group of fans and players all enjoy food of some sort. Italian, French, barbecue, quick-and-easy 30-minute meals—you name it, one or more of them eat it," said Bettman, adding that Iron Chef French host Hiroyuki Sakai will join play-by-play announcer Mike "Doc" Emrick and analyst Brian Engblom to form a new lead announcing team for all Food Network games. "This partnership has been a long time coming. If the Food Network would have been around in 1991, we would have left ESPN in a heartbeat."

“It’s great to know we will be on television next year,” Bettman added, smiling as the NHL’s new studio team, consisting of Rachael Ray as head hockey anchor and Bill Clement as game analyst, collaborated in an attempt to equate the offsides penalty to “zesting up” a pan-seared T-bone steak. “Thanks, Food Network.”

Though Bettman maintained that the Food Network was always the league's first choice, sources close to the commissioner confirmed that the NHL also considered broadcasting games on E!, the Golf Channel, and Cartoon Network before eventually deciding to go with the network offering the best combination of financial incentives and airtime.

"We also thought the lead-in programs on Versus, especially those that focused on bull-riding, bass fishing, and violent contact sports, were not entirely compatible with the image of the league," Bettman said. "Now, hockey games will follow Emeril Live, Feasting On Asphalt, and The Hungry Detective, which, as you can plainly see, are a better fit. Also, we are paying the Food Network much less money to broadcast our games."

According to terms of the deal, the Food Network will schedule broadcasts of over 50 full-length hockey games and will carry both the Eastern and Western Conference Semi-Finals, as well as Games 4 through 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The only exception, Bettman said, would be made for Rachael Ray, who appears on television roughly three times more than the NHL. In the case of Ray experiencing a scheduling conflict, hockey games will be postponed and rescheduled at Ray's convenience.

"We liked the idea of having hockey because it has two halftimes," said Food Network president Johnson, adding that the first game on the channel will feature the ceremonial dropping of an inaugural homemade Italian meatball at center ice by honorary referee Mario Batali. "Our debut coverage will include a halftime show hosted by Giada De Laurentiis, who will recap the game's events while guiding you through the preparation of Sicilian penne with swordfish and eggplant. Or, if you are in the mood for something more immediate, on-ice reporter Paula Deen will spend timeouts showing you certain tactics to enhance the flavor of your traditional southwestern dip."

Though she stated that she didn't want to give anything away, Johnson said that the network's first hockey-related profile will focus on Sidney Crosby eating veal and creamed spinach prepared by Roker On The Road host Al Roker. Other hockey players now contractually obligated to make appearances on shows include Chris Drury on Food 911, Martin Brodeur on Calorie Commando, and Alexander Ovechkin on Dinner: Impossible.

The new broadcasting deal has some sportswriters saying the move will make hockey even more irrelevant, while others believe this is a clear step up for the league.

"I watch the Food Network far more than I watch hockey, and I think most sports fans feel the same way," said Boston Globe sports columnist Bob Ryan. "My favorite program is Food Nation With Bobby Flay. So I'll definitely watch that, and then maybe stick around to watch part of a period if the Bruins are playing. Everybody wins here.":lol:

Wow..... Is this some kind of joke?? Seriously.... Wow.

Elevated, last month the Onion fooled me too with one of their "stories" about MLB.

I'm an Islander fan, but Simon's slash was a bad move. The Isles need him to be an enforcer, but they don't need for him to be suspended.

I'm gonna say he's definitely done for the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out for the playoffs as wel. It' not like laid a McSorely or Bertuzzi hit, but I feel the NHL is going to be tough on him. Plus he's got like 7 other suspensions. We'll see I guess. Either way, stupid move. Totally unneccassary.

I agree, I think he'll be done for the regular season. I'm not sure about the playoffs, though. I hope not, but it's possible. Either way, a bad move bad Simon who has a history of goonery.

UberBeaver said:
Thanks. I guess on the first day the tix are available I'll just see what I can do and take it from there. :(

I guess I'll try to get Leafs tix first, and then see if I can get Habs tix for the same week. If they keep the scheduling system like they did this year should have scheduled games close together. That would be awesome. :drool:

ETA: Actually, I just checked the 2006 schedule and that does not appear to be the case. Doesn't look like they play back to back home/away at all this year.

Yes, Toronto is notorious when it comes to unavailability of hockey tickets. Montreal isn't half as bad - sure they sell out every game but there's always scalpers selling at a *decent* rate. My friend and her husband got two Club tickets (drinks and food inluded!) for the Montreal game vs Carolina in the playoffs (turned out to be their last game of the season) last year for $100 each! That's pretty good!

My bf and I went to see a Habs-Leafs game in November and paid $55.00 each for a ticket. People advertise quite a bit on Craigslist so you should check that out...

Good luck!

The NHL ruled today that NY Islander, Chris Simon has been suspended for at least 25 games. He's banned from the remaining 15 regular season games and all of the playoffs. If the Isles don't make it to the playoffs or are eliminated early, Simon will have to make up the difference next season. If the Isles make it alll the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, Simon's ban will exceed 25 games, but he still won't be permitted to play.
That's got to suck for Simon. He'll give up almost 80,000 US dollars and he's only signed to a 1 year deal with the Isles, meaning next season he'll more than likely be somewhere else.

As long as Nolan is coach of the Islanders, Simon will likely have a home there. The 2 are very close. Guys like Simon play less of a role come the post-season anyway.

I feel the punisment fits the crime, and I'm an Islander fan.

I love Hockey and hate how this is the thing that grabs headlines. Such a great sport, especially come playoff time.

Crosby is already at 200 career points. I believe he's the youngest ever to reach that milestone. He had a great goal last night...was hanging around in front of the net when a pass came through the crease, but in the air....he gloved it, tossed it in front of himself and slammed it home, all in like .5 of a second. He's awesome. I hope he and Malkin are able to play for the Pens for a long time.

I know Simon and Nolan are close (their relationship was even featured in a recent episode of HBO's Real Sports) but Simon does have a long rap sheet. Because of this, I think that's why the Isles only signed him to a 1 year deal. If Nolan had more stroke with Isles' management, Simon might've been signed to a multi-year deal.
It's funny, but I haven't heard too many people defending Simon's actions. He did get thumped pretty hard before he crosschecked Hollweg. Maybe, just maybe now, Simon didn't intend to crosscheck the guy in the throat. Maybe (because he was a little out of it himself) he intended to crosscheck the guy in the chest instead, but missed his target. Until we hear from Simon himself, I guess we won't know. Either way, he did what he did and now he's gotten his proper punishment for it. Thankfully, Hollweg was not badly hurt from Simon's crosscheck. I think the Isles will miss Simon because he was good at protecting the Isles' skill players from other team's enforcers.

Well, again, in the playoffs, there is less need for protection from enforcers. The game changes, you know that. I watch Real Sports religiously, saw that episode too. I enjoyed the Piniella piece, too.

MrPryck2U said:
He did get thumped pretty hard before he crosschecked Hollweg. Maybe, just maybe now, Simon didn't intend to crosscheck the guy in the throat. Maybe (because he was a little out of it himself) he intended to crosscheck the guy in the chest instead, but missed his target. Until we hear from Simon himself, I guess we won't know.

Whatever Simon intended to do it was still a dangerous manouevre. Face or chest the intent to injury was still there. Moreover, there have been some documented cases, most recently in Italy a few years back I believe, of a player receiving a stick to the chest and dying of a heart attack. All it takes is to hit the "sweet" spot at just the right moment and it could be fatal. Luckily, Hollweg was not injured but that's besides the point. This type of behaviour has no place in professional(or any type of) hockey and Simon got what he deserved.

You're right. Simon got the punishment he deserved. Sadly, these types of hits will continue. It's just the nature of the sport. Simon shouldn't have crosschecked anyone period.

Yeah and to add injury to insult, Simon got a concussion from Hollweg's hit on him. Simon snapped as a result and now he's gone.

BonoManiac said:

Whatever Simon intended to do it was still a dangerous manouevre. Face or chest the intent to injury was still there. Moreover, there have been some documented cases, most recently in Italy a few years back I believe, of a player receiving a stick to the chest and dying of a heart attack. All it takes is to hit the "sweet" spot at just the right moment and it could be fatal. Luckily, Hollweg was not injured but that's besides the point. This type of behaviour has no place in professional(or any type of) hockey and Simon got what he deserved.

Yeah, isn't there some sweet spot in the neck/throat area where if you hit it right, the person can't breath and dies? Yes, he is getting what he deserves.

Though, this is mild compared to the Todd Bertuzzi incident. Let's look in on how Moore is doing...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070309/steve_moore_070309/20070309?hub=Canada

Sorry to bring this up again...I'll never post here again. :D

The City of Pittsburgh and the Penguins have come to an agreement on a new arena for the team. The Penguins will be staying in Pittsburgh.

Governor:penguins reach deal on arena

TSN.ca Staff with Pittsburgh Post Gazette files
3/13/2007 11:42:02 AM

In the words of the late great coach Bob Johnson, "It's a great day for hockey."

The Penguins reached a deal on financing for a new arena that will keep the NHL team in Pittsburgh.

The agreement - with city, county and state officials - was announced by Gov. Ed Rendell on Tuesday at the Pennsylvania Gaming Congress. He said money from the state's new slot machine parlors would help fund the arena.

"This afternoon I am traveling to Pittsburgh, where we will announce that all three government entities (state, county, city) have agreed to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh for the next 30 years," Rendell said Tuesday.

"We will build a beautiful new arena."

"Make no mistake about it - without expanded gaming in Pennsylvania, the Penguins would be gone. The first puck would have been dropped next year in Kansas City."

Rendell said he would fly to Pittsburgh later Tuesday to meet with Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato, the team owners and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

The Penguins had threatened to leave Pittsburgh if they couldn't secure a new rink. Their lease at 46-year-old Mellon Arena, the oldest facility in the league, expires June 30 and the team is free to leave after that.

Team officials visited Kansas City, Mo., and Las Vegas to discuss a possible move. The Penguins were offered free rent and half of all revenues if they agreed to play in Kansas City's soon-to-be-completed $262 million Sprint Center.

The Penguins began playing in Pittsburgh in 1967, and won Stanley Cup titles in 1991 and 1992. Their home attendance and local TV ratings are among the strongest of the NHL's 24 U.S. franchises.

According to multiple reports, the sides have reached agreement on terms for a new arena that will be ready for operation for the 2009-10 season. The Penguins would reportedly contribute $3.8 million per year toward construction of the $290 million arena and another $400,000 yearly for capital improvements.

Sources also said that the price tag for the project will exceed the $290 million originally discussed. The station reports that a meeting between all sides will be held on Wednesday to formalize the agreement.

Files from The Pittsburgh Post Gazette were used in this report.

Wow, the Leafs have actually won two games in a row... It's like all of a sudden they care or something.

I'm totally looking forward to the inevitable:

Total break down in the last few games and not getting into the playoffs.

OR

My personal favorite; getting eliminated in the first round.

Go Leafs Go :|

my canucks are in tough against edmonton tonight. not because edmonton's any good, but vcr always seems to be great at breaking other team's losing streaks. a dubious distinction indeed.

Zoomerang96 said:
my canucks are in tough against edmonton tonight. not because edmonton's any good, but vcr always seems to be great at breaking other team's losing streaks. a dubious distinction indeed.

That is a dubious distinction :hmm:

This is the stupid-observation-of-the-day, but the playoffs should be truly incredible this year. It really hit me today, after looking at the standings and the close races just to get in the playoffs.

well, they didn't lose... and they tightened their grip atop the NW division. no complaints.

Zoomerang96 said:

I was never worried :shifty:

Canuck hockey :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom