Hockey is back!!! 2006-2007: GO OILERS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
angelordevil said:
As far as other teams' moves, I really think Pittsburgh will really benefit from Gary Roberts. I think they're the team to watch in the playoffs, with a few potential upsets in the making.

:yes: Same goes for Nashville and Detroit if Foresberg stays healthy and Bertuzzi comes back....

As for the Leafs... :uhoh: Yanic Perreault?? :banghead:

fah said:

Translation please :eyebrow:
:lol: I thought that ppv was a kind of bad word,....:reject: And after the great victory off the dallas stars over the canucks,.....

I know now what ppv means,.....pathetic players victory. :hmm:
Sorry :wink:

i don't understand how come dave lewis is still here , with B's , he got the players , he's a terrible coach , worse then mike sullivan

we need darius kasparaitis
we need PJ Stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Fucking great Pittsburgh / NYR game tonight - Crosby with the shootout winner. He's a pleasure to watch play.

The Isles just blew a 2-0 lead and lost 3-2 in OT against the Blues. It was Ryan Smyth's debut as an Islander. The Isles had a 2-0 with 2:38 left in the game. Ugh.

elevated_u2_fan said:
As for the Leafs... :uhoh: Yanic Perreault?? :banghead:

He could be their saviour! :wink:

I actually heard someone on TSN the other day mention how Perreault just may be the best face-off guy in the history of the league. Pretty high praise. He's definitely not a game-breaker, however.

Man if the Blues had fired Kitchen at the beginning of the season they would probably have made the playoffs this year

I really like the Blues, one of my favorite teams. But last night, I did not like them at all. They were good the first 57 minutes, but after that, I dunno, I just really felt annoyed with them.

ive got glass seats for the Ducks-Sharks game tonight, should be a good time

will be sad to see Pronger though.. talk about trading away the heart and soul of your team for nothing

blah

Chizip said:
ive got glass seats for the Ducks-Sharks game tonight, should be a good time

will be sad to see Pronger though.. talk about trading away the heart and soul of your team for nothing

blah
Glass seats are the best. Especially when two guys crash into it right in front of you and you're like, "OH shit!!!"

Or like when someone next to you flinches when a puck ricochets off the glass during warm up.

Isles/Rangers tonight. :drool:

Montreal/Toronto people: How hard is it to get tix to Montreal vs Toronto games in their respective arenas? My friends and I want to see them play each other, but from what we gather, tix are nigh impossible to come by. Is that true?

I'm not a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but I'm a hockey fan and if the Penguins left Pittsburgh that would really suck. The Mellon Arena has been attracting good crowds this season for the Pens, so clearly the fans are the biggest losers if the Pens leave. I know, no shit the fans are the biggest losers, but it still sucks for them. They've definitely shown their support for them this season, plus it helps when you've got some young stars on the team.
Stay tuned.

UberBeaver said:
Montreal/Toronto people: How hard is it to get tix to Montreal vs Toronto games in their respective arenas? My friends and I want to see them play each other, but from what we gather, tix are nigh impossible to come by. Is that true?

As I understand it's hard to get Leafs tickets for any game.... I'm not sure why but even when they suck people still come out in droves to see them.

I would suggest buying tickets well in advance, other than that I don't go to too many games so I can't be much more help, sorry. :shrug:

UberBeaver said:

It's just about near impossible. Good luck!

Thanks. I guess on the first day the tix are available I'll just see what I can do and take it from there. :(

I guess I'll try to get Leafs tix first, and then see if I can get Habs tix for the same week. If they keep the scheduling system like they did this year should have scheduled games close together. That would be awesome. :drool:

ETA: Actually, I just checked the 2006 schedule and that does not appear to be the case. Doesn't look like they play back to back home/away at all this year.

Last edited:
Can't believe the Penns might move. One of the biggest US markets for hockey, and the city administration is stupid enough to let the team slide away.

I say they go to Las Vegas in the end.

Excellent game last night. Canucks win it 5-1 over Tampa Bay. :rockon:

The crowd was going nuts for a while at the end. It would have been a fantastic game to be at.

NHL Signs Broadcast Deal With Food Network

March 8, 2007 | Onion Sports

NHL Signs Broadcast Deal With Food Network
The Onion

NEW YORK—Flanked by Food Network president Brooke Johnson and cooking-show host Rachael Ray, Commissioner Gary Bettman announced yesterday that the NHL has opted out of its contract with the Versus cable channel (formerly the Outdoor Life Network) and has reached a long-term broadcasting deal with the Food Network starting in the 2007-08 season.
Enlarge Image NHL And Food Network

"In all my years as commissioner, I have learned that our diverse group of fans and players all enjoy food of some sort. Italian, French, barbecue, quick-and-easy 30-minute meals—you name it, one or more of them eat it," said Bettman, adding that Iron Chef French host Hiroyuki Sakai will join play-by-play announcer Mike "Doc" Emrick and analyst Brian Engblom to form a new lead announcing team for all Food Network games. "This partnership has been a long time coming. If the Food Network would have been around in 1991, we would have left ESPN in a heartbeat."

“It’s great to know we will be on television next year,” Bettman added, smiling as the NHL’s new studio team, consisting of Rachael Ray as head hockey anchor and Bill Clement as game analyst, collaborated in an attempt to equate the offsides penalty to “zesting up” a pan-seared T-bone steak. “Thanks, Food Network.”

Though Bettman maintained that the Food Network was always the league's first choice, sources close to the commissioner confirmed that the NHL also considered broadcasting games on E!, the Golf Channel, and Cartoon Network before eventually deciding to go with the network offering the best combination of financial incentives and airtime.

"We also thought the lead-in programs on Versus, especially those that focused on bull-riding, bass fishing, and violent contact sports, were not entirely compatible with the image of the league," Bettman said. "Now, hockey games will follow Emeril Live, Feasting On Asphalt, and The Hungry Detective, which, as you can plainly see, are a better fit. Also, we are paying the Food Network much less money to broadcast our games."

According to terms of the deal, the Food Network will schedule broadcasts of over 50 full-length hockey games and will carry both the Eastern and Western Conference Semi-Finals, as well as Games 4 through 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The only exception, Bettman said, would be made for Rachael Ray, who appears on television roughly three times more than the NHL. In the case of Ray experiencing a scheduling conflict, hockey games will be postponed and rescheduled at Ray's convenience.

"We liked the idea of having hockey because it has two halftimes," said Food Network president Johnson, adding that the first game on the channel will feature the ceremonial dropping of an inaugural homemade Italian meatball at center ice by honorary referee Mario Batali. "Our debut coverage will include a halftime show hosted by Giada De Laurentiis, who will recap the game's events while guiding you through the preparation of Sicilian penne with swordfish and eggplant. Or, if you are in the mood for something more immediate, on-ice reporter Paula Deen will spend timeouts showing you certain tactics to enhance the flavor of your traditional southwestern dip."

Though she stated that she didn't want to give anything away, Johnson said that the network's first hockey-related profile will focus on Sidney Crosby eating veal and creamed spinach prepared by Roker On The Road host Al Roker. Other hockey players now contractually obligated to make appearances on shows include Chris Drury on Food 911, Martin Brodeur on Calorie Commando, and Alexander Ovechkin on Dinner: Impossible.

The new broadcasting deal has some sportswriters saying the move will make hockey even more irrelevant, while others believe this is a clear step up for the league.

"I watch the Food Network far more than I watch hockey, and I think most sports fans feel the same way," said Boston Globe sports columnist Bob Ryan. "My favorite program is Food Nation With Bobby Flay. So I'll definitely watch that, and then maybe stick around to watch part of a period if the Bruins are playing. Everybody wins here.":lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom