Hockey is back!!! 2006-2007: GO OILERS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ladywithspinninghead said:
Anyone catch the Pittsburgh-Montreal game last night? Wowza! :shocked:

What a thriller - looked like a playoff game with all that intensity!

They're playing again today in Montreal at 2 EST. It's on TEEVEEEE :drool: I just might get a pizza or a giant poutine. Or maybe a giant pizza with gravy on it.

I initially thought Sydney Crosby was a bit of a whiner, but he's seriously one of the best players I've ever seen. An amazing stat that I heard yesterday: he's actually matching Gretzky's early career numbers point-for-point.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Beauty save.

If the Penguins can keep their team together for a couple of years we may see the newest dynasty. They have really come together over the past couple of months. A real fun team to watch. Just sucks (for me) that they're in the same division as the Isles.

UberBeaver said:

If the Penguins can keep their team together for a couple of years we may see the newest dynasty. They have really come together over the past couple of months. A real fun team to watch. Just sucks (for me) that they're in the same division as the Isles.

In the salary cap era I don't know how you can, realistically, keep the entire nucleus of the team together. Eventually hard decisions will have to be made as to who stays and who goes.

After this year the Pens have at least 5 years left with Crosby and at least 6 with Malkin and Staal. I believe they have as many as 4 with Marc-André Fleury.

But I agree. They are a fun team to watch and I'm sure as they mature many comparisons will be made of the Edmonton Oilers of the early 1980s.

Cripes, Habs drop to 10th place. Glad I didn't go out to watch the game tonight. Huet is out with a hamstring injury so they've called up some AHL goalie who apparently is amazing. Let's hope he's Huet #2.

BonoManiac said:

In the salary cap era I don't know how you can, realistically, keep the entire nucleus of the team together. Eventually hard decisions will have to be made as to who stays and who goes.

After this year the Pens have at least 5 years left with Crosby and at least 6 with Malkin and Staal. I believe they have as many as 4 with Marc-André Fleury.

But I agree. They are a fun team to watch and I'm sure as they mature many comparisons will be made of the Edmonton Oilers of the early 1980s.

Yeah, I know. It's hard to keep a bunch of real good players together for the long haul, especially nowadays. It's nice to think those guys would be willing to accept less pay for the sake of the team, but...riiiiight. I can't blame them. But still - if they continue to grow at the pace they are, in 5 years I wouldn't be surprised to see them with at least two cups down already. I'm excited, actually.

Their game against the Islanders yesterday was excellent. Felt like a playoff game, especially when Sillinger scored the game winner with 20 some odd seconds left. :drool:

Nice little tussle in the Sabres/Sens game last night...

Well Chizip what do you think about the Blues trading both Tkachuk and Guerin away? I think they're following the Penguins model and stockpiling draft picks. Used correctly and they should be alright in a few years.

The Canucks re-acquire Brent Sopel from LA for an '07 or '08 2nd-round draft pick, and a 2008 4th-round pick.

It will be great to have him on the team again. :up:

As an Oiler fan, I feel completely down in the dumps about Ryan Smyth getting dealt. Being an Oiler fan is very difficult. From the highs of last year, to the lows of the Pronger fiasco and poor performance this season. Now Oiler fans have to deal with our beloved Smyth getting dealt for marginal prospects. On a night that Oilers fans should be celebrating our heritage by recognizing Mark Messier, it makes the trade all the more difficult to swallow.

But I refuse to burn my jersey although I have been tempted many times this year.

boosterjuice said:
As an Oiler fan, I feel completely down in the dumps about Ryan Smyth getting dealt. Being an Oiler fan is very difficult. From the highs of last year, to the lows of the Pronger fiasco and poor performance this season. Now Oiler fans have to deal with our beloved Smyth getting dealt for marginal prospects. On a night that Oilers fans should be celebrating our heritage by recognizing Mark Messier, it makes the trade all the more difficult to swallow.

But I refuse to burn my jersey although I have been tempted many times this year.

As an Islander fan, I'm sorry you lost him, but I'm glad we got him. Beauty trade.

Nilsson is actually read good. He's a little full of himself, but he's young yet. He's quick and has a nice shot. He'll be real good in the coming years. O'Mara - I never saw him play, but I know when they signed him it was big news.

BonoManiac said:
Well Chizip what do you think about the Blues trading both Tkachuk and Guerin away? I think they're following the Penguins model and stockpiling draft picks. Used correctly and they should be alright in a few years.

I really like all the deals we made. Tkachuk and Guerin are old guys who are unrestricted free agents, not really part of our future, and we got plenty in return for them. We fleeced Atlanta on the Tkachuk trade.

With Jarmo Kekalainen running the Blues drafts I think the future is very bright. He's the guy that built up Ottawa's crop of young talent a few years back.

I'm very excited about the future of the Blues.

boosterjuice said:

It must seriously suck to be an Oiler fan right now. Smyth was an institution there. He might get more money with the Islanders, but he'll be hard-pressed to duplicate the kind of bond he had with Edmonton and their fans.

As far as other teams' moves, I really think Pittsburgh will really benefit from Gary Roberts. I think they're the team to watch in the playoffs, with a few potential upsets in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom