Hockey is back!!! 2006-2007: GO OILERS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2@NYC said:

You still have not recovered, have you?

:wink:

Yeah, it still smarts.

But at least the new season is less than a month away and I can forget about it.

He's a Newfie. He doesn't stuff around. :wink: He just picks a spot, shoots, scores! I wish I was living in Canada when Michael Ryder was still in high school, because I could have seen him in action. One of my old teachers was telling me about how the Bonavista team used to travel here and kick our school's collective ass. Michael used to average about five goals a game. Once got something ridiculous like nine goals against our school.

Haven't been to a hockey game in ages, but I got a pair of free tix for Wednesday's Kings game vs. the Minnesota Wild. And they are good tix too - our friend has season seats :happy:

Lila64 said:
Haven't been to a hockey game in ages, but I got a pair of free tix for Wednesday's Kings game vs. the Minnesota Wild. And they are good tix too - our friend has season seats :happy:
Hockey games live are the best. :drool:

No kidding. My last game live was when Gretzky was a King, and my friend had seats slightly to the left of the goal post and about 10 rows up :drool:

Free tix & parking pass, AND behind the bench :drool:

Lila64 said:
No kidding. My last game live was when Gretzky was a King, and my friend had seats slightly to the left of the goal post and about 10 rows up :drool:

Free tix & parking pass, AND behind the bench :drool:
What year was that? Wayne was my favourite player. Did he do anything special that night?

I remember watching a Kings home game against the Canadiens in 1992. Gretzky had 4 points, and could have had 5 if he hadn't tripped over the red line on a breakaway. It was the weirdest thing to see. Gretzky all by himself on a breakaway (at the red line no less!), no one in sight, the crowd going totally crazy, and then................he trips on what seemed to be the red line. On his butt.

Still a great game. Gretzky vs. Patrick Roy. The Kings won 5-3, I think.

Well... I moved to my current location in '92, so it had to be before that. And I think we saw a few games, not just one. Love watching the play coming towards us. And they were either playing for the cup in 92 or possibly 93 at the latest, but my memory isn't all that good when it comes to hockey. Haven't watched in a while, as there are not enough hours in the day to work & play...

I knew it was within a year of me moving here. It was the same month that our washing machine decided to leak or overflow. I remember mopping that up during one of the games, LOL (it wasn't funny though!).

Game ends in a 1-1 tie. We go to overtime. Within about 10 seconds, the Minnesota Wild just happen to have a puck roll into the net :mad:

fah said:
Free hockey tickets :hyper:

A friend used to have season tickets (many years ago) and I went to a lot of games. I saw Gretzky (as an Oiler) many times :yes:
Okay, now I'm green with envy! You saw Wayne as an Oiler? Please tell me you remember watching him! Was he amazing, or was he just another player out there? I've often heard that the amazing thing about him was it never looked like he was really doing anything. Some say his molecules just sort of vibrated at exactly the same speed as a hockey game....and he would disappear. You wouldn't even notice him. Until he had the puck on a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 2....or behind the net....and by then it was all too late. Back to center ice. He would do this once, twice, three times a game -- consistenly. And quietly (or not so quietly, as history will tell you) amassed twice the points as everyone else. It just seemed all too easy.

I think Gretzky must be an alien.

helllllllllllllo slow-loris! :D:D:D:D

gretzky is an alien.

The wild are 6-0.

and, oddly, as I was watching Broken Social Scene this evening in my U.S. midwestern town...you came across my mind!

zoney! said:
helllllllllllllo slow-loris! :D:D:D:D

gretzky is an alien.

The wild are 6-0.

and, oddly, as I was watching Broken Social Scene this evening in my U.S. midwestern town...you came across my mind!
Por que?!

RE: The Wild.... I can't believe it. They switched places with the Canucks. Now it's Vancouver who plays boring trap hockey, while the Wild are running and gunning. Who would have thought? Gotta admit it, I miss Bertuzzi. And Jovo.

I like Luongo, though.

UberBeaver said:
So I saw the Penguins play the Islanders tonight, and Sidney Crosby is like ridiculously good. Like, WOW HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT good. And he didn't even score.
Maybe he actually is the Next One this time. I think he'll be an amazing player.... but he's already 19 and he still hasn't won an MVP! Gretz already had two by that age! I believe he was 20 when he scored 92 goals and 212 points.

Crosby will be his own player. A great player, I'm sure.

Well, I think if Crosby continues to dive everytime someone comes near him, MVP and title, not to mention respect. might be harder to come by. He was diving like a fish on a ships deck, and the refs kept calling penalties which really didn't need to be called. Trent Hunter (I think) got so fed up with it he just knocked him down. And I think it was justified. "If you're gonna fall, I'll give you a reason to."

Watching the Canucks game tonight made me realize just how far the Sedin twins have come. When they first started with Vancouver, they were the butt of all jokes ("Sedin Sisters," etc), but watching them tonight was awe inspiring. On the 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 they just dominated. Magical, magical stuff. It was like the puck had eyes. Twisting and turning away, toward each other, dizzying the opponets. The puck dropping through their legs, to open spaces where a Sedin would be just in time to retrieve it....great stuff. It was also a great game. The Canucks were down 2-0 in the 3rd period, and Naslund ended up tying the game on a slapshot (the first one I think I've ever seen him take) with seconds left in the game.... and then, in overtime, he dishes off to Salo with time running out, and Salo just holds it, holds it........and holds it, and finally lets go a perfect wrist shot with less than a second left! That had to be the most dramatic early season win I've ever seen!

^ Yep, it was a fantastic game! Very impressive - the best I've seen the Canucks perform so far this year.

Naslund's slap shot was incredible! Like you said, he rarely will make that kind of shot. It's the first one I can remember seeing from him as well.

Taylor Pyatt was also very impressive - his third period goal was a beauty. I'd never heard of him before this season, but it looks like he's been a good addition to the team so far.

Watching Salo get the winning goal with seven tenths of a second remaining in OT was like watching a playoff game! I was at the edge of my seat, and all of us screamed like crazy once the puck got in the net. Fantastic hockey!

Jose Theodore's first game in Montreal since he was sent packing. Let's see what kind of reaciton he gets :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom