hmm...when you meet people for the first time do you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes....sounds like some people didn't do a good job introducing themselves in Chicago? :hmm:

I always introduce myself and hopefully smile!! I nearly always shake hands unless the other person is giving me a weird vibe or is out to lunch or something.

I am seeking counseling to do the first 2 on the list :wink:
Pretty good at the last one - but hey, I am working on it!

DeadMansParty said:
I smile, shake hands, and 30 seconds later I have already forgotten their names.

Ha! Same here. I am very shy though, depending upon who I am meeting. If I've had some "liquid courage" however, I can go up to anyone, and sometimes do!

I usually just lick the side of their face. I learned that from Tommy Lee.:wink:

Actually I do the first two. My father taught me the importance of a good firm handshake.

Nothing worse than shaking a dead fish.

It depends on who I'm meeting and what the circumstances are.

I am EXTREMELY shy but in U2/Interference situations, I force myself to go up and say hello at the very least. If its someone I've been talking to online for a while, I usually hug them if they seem open to it. If its someone I don't know well, I'll just introduce myself and maybe shake their hand. If no conversation develops, I'll repeat that it was nice to meet them and make my exit.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Kindly smile and introduce yourself?
this is what i do. although if it's a work-related thing (or the person extends their hand, obviously) i'll shake hands. i dunno, shaking hands seems a bit too professional for me if i'm meeting someone like in a social setting.

I do the first two in work-related situations, but socially, I wait for the other person to make the first move, or wait to be introduced if I'm with someone

Last edited:
As far as shaking hands goes, it depends on the person I'm meeting-if it's an older person, and it's a business situation or a formal situation or whatever, I shake hands. If it's someone about my age, I don't do that. Kids don't really care if you're formal with them.

But I do always say hello and introduce myself, regardless of the age of the person I meet (unless, of course, someone else has already introduced me to a person, then I just say, "Hello, it's nice to meet you.").

Angela

Last edited:
Smile, sometimes shake hands depending on who the person is, and introduce myself

Pearl said:
I do the first two in work-related situations, but socially, I wait for the other person to make the first move, or wait to be introduced if I'm with someone
i do this too.

i'm currently tutoring and with new students, i always introduce myself with a handshake. little kids really get a kick out of it - i hope it makes them feel important.

Last edited:
I smile, introduce myself, and give a firm handshake. I don't get why people sometimes don't return a firm handshake. It's kind of basic.

But I also have to say that the ability to just walk up and introduce myself is something I've learned to be comfortable with through my work. I have to meet and greet people all the time and I used to hate it but now I don't give it a second thought, it just has to be done.

edited to add that I realize a firm handshake is not necessarily customary within all cultures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom