hmm...when you meet people for the first time do you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm very shy at first, in personal settings. I'm very comfortable and outgoing with friends and family, though. Once the ice is broken, I go from shy to wise-ass immediately. :)

Professionally, no shyness at all, shake hands, make eye contact, remember names, etc.

When I'm on the GA line at Meadowlands II, I'll likely sit there trying to figure out who is from interference, but will not introduce myself to anyone. That's just my way, for better or for worse. If someone said "Are you No Spoken Words?" or even "Are you an interference user?", I'd definitely reply, though. Not like I'm expecting that to occur, though, as I'm a new user and some of these people have known each other for years. One of my dork friends will be with me, and I'll be like "Dude, do you think that's Ruffian?", and he'll say "Who in the hell is Ruffian???".

:)

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I try to shake every hand of anyone I meet. If I don't feel a vibe that seems welcoming, I will just pat you on the back and say "well it is nice to meet you" or just simply ignore you and give you a go to hell smile. :wink:

:lol:

I usually shake hands and say something like "nice to meet you"...unless it's an attractive guy...then there's more conversation....in the form of an interview for a possible date...Just kidding :) :)

It depends on so many things with me. If I'm introduced to someone, or someone walks up to me and introduces him/herself I generally respond in a similar fashion (shake hands, smile and say hi -- whatever fits the situation).

However, I often have a much, much harder time doing the initial introductions. I have gone out to shows, clubs, etc., and been there all night and not uttered a single word -- there have been times I haven't even gotten a drink as that would mean I would have to speak to someone, and I just couldn't do that at the time. I know there have been people I've offended because I didn't meet up with them (from another board), but at the time we were supposed to meet I just couldn't face meeting them.

I've also forced myself to walk up to people and introduce myself, even though I was sure I would either puke or pass out (or with my luck puke and then pass out and land in the vomit :rolleyes: ). It's never been as bad as I thought it would be, and sometimes is really very nice, but knowing that doesn't make it much easier the next time.

But I am getting better with certain phone calls. :D

Last edited:
yes, but i just had to confirm it. you know how these things are.

it's nice to meat you mr. se7en. :sexywink:

it's nice to meet you too, ms. lmjhitman. is there another name with which you prefer to be addressed? ms. lmjhitman is a little to formal for my taste, although i do understand you enjoy the titles.

:heart:

fair enough MVD. after our mighty attempts to derail this thread, i'll *try* to get this back on track. it's a bit of a tangent to the original topic though.

so i sign in to MSN Messenger tonight and i get a pop-up that tells me that someone has added me as a contact. the only place i've posted my hotmail address is here, so i checked the Intereference Messenger Exchange thread and the person's address doesn't seem to match any of the ones posted there either.

my question is this: how do introductions work online?

wouldn't it have made more sense for this person to shoot me an actual e-mail saying, "hi i'm (blank) from (blank). i got your address from (blank), and was hoping i could add you as a contact" - or something to that effect?

i mean i'm all about making new friends, and if i'd known they were from interference i'd add them in a heartbeat. but what this person did, to equate it to a real-life situation, is like walking up to a complete stranger and expecting them to start talking to you! and my mom told me NEVER to talk to strangers. :shame:

so yeah, what's the ettiquette for introducing yourself online?

and for se7en
is there another name with which you prefer to be addressed?
anything with "supreme sex goddess of the universe' should be fine. :sexywink:

lmjhitman said:

so i sign in to MSN Messenger tonight and i get a pop-up that tells me that someone has added me as a contact. the only place i've posted my hotmail address is here, so i checked the Intereference Messenger Exchange thread and the person's address doesn't seem to match any of the ones posted there either.

my question is this: how do introductions work online?

a simple "And I know you from where?" is usually a nice ice breaker. :wink:

Last edited:
but is that my responsibility? i know it's the internet and it's not that big of a deal, but shouldn't this person be the one to tell me where he/she knows me from? isn't that just manners? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom