History of Rock and Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dano

The Fly
For pretty much the past year, my labor of love has been to build a history of rock and roll out of my music collection. I've been using the rock and roll hall of fame as a rough guideline as to who the essential artists are that I should have in my playlist.

Anyone who knows the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can see several flaws with this plan: 1) There is no representation of bands that are younger than 25 years old, and; 2) the voters of the Hall sometimes include questionable bands at the expense of others who are more deserving.

I thought I'd ask you all who are some bands that really deserve to be in the Hall but have been excluded and who are bands that will one day be in. (I'm looking for single artists as well, not just groups.) I appreciate your help!

I think you've got to include some bands that have had a huge influence on mainstream rock, but were never mainstream themselves.

--The Ramones. duh.
--The Clash and The Sex Pistols (who were nominated this year and holy shit being in the hall of fame is soooooooo un-punk rock)
--The Buzzcocks: The original pop-punk
--Wire & Joy Divison: asskicking punk & post-punk. Even U2 have cited these guys as influences.
--Sonic Youth: everyone who was successful in grunge cites these guys as their major influence, including Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder
--Minor Threat and Black Flag: influenced any and all modern punk bands. Ian MacKaye of MT inadvertantly started the whole straitedge movement, Black Flag started LA hardcore and launched Henry Rollins (although he wasn't an original member)

Those are just a few, but there are lots more. A good reference for you is this book called "Our Band Could Be Your Life" which basically chronicles the development of indie rock through the histories of 13 different bands, including some of the ones I named, and also the Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Mudhoney, and a bunch of others.

Good luck with that project!!

Flying FuManchu said:
Why isn't Van Halen in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame? Aerosmith is in but not Van Halen? Just wondering.

yeah....I guess there would be too many lead singers onstage.:scream:

They were? That makes me ill.

Whatever happened to yee olde punk aesthetic??? :rant:
I don't really follow the rock hall that closely (obviously), but I'm sure MRR had a coronary when that happened. Either way, 2 very important bands.

Oh yeah, and I guess the Velvet Underground and New York Dolls should also be included in said history of rock.

Also, Morton Subotnik (see Silver Apples of the Moon) for pioneering electronic music, and Terry Riley and Phil Niblock for minimalism.

~LadyLemon~ said:
The Clash and the Ramones were both inducted already.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Are The Animals in the RNRHOF? :hmm:

Yes, they are.

I actually recently saw Eric Burdon and the Animals play. My friend's band opened for them. It was cool to think about how the guy was a contemporary of the Beatles.

dano said:

Yes, they are.

I actually recently saw Eric Burdon and the Animals play. My friend's band opened for them. It was cool to think about how the guy was a contemporary of the Beatles.

Are they playing together again? :scratch: It must be amazing to open for legends like that. Was the place packed? Do you know if they played Sky Pilot?

Just curious. :)

Its actually a bit of a frustration. We watched my friend's band play and then there was a huge hour and a half delay before the Animals came on stage. By the time they did, everyone else that had ridden with me wanted to leave and weren't interested in staying for a band they didn't know much about no matter how famous they once were. I ended up seeing like 3 songs and then had to leave.

I think it is only Eric Burdon that is left from the 60s band and that everyone else is new. They played "I'm a Man," another song I have forgotten, and a slightly reggaed version of "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood." The man's voice still has a lot of power though. He could really belt it.

Too bad you coulden't watch it. Your friends need a little more culture! :angry:

A reggaed version of Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.... :hmm:

Eric Burden's voice still is in shape, I have his last solo record and it rocks the house dow!! Thanks for the info anyway! :up:

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
Black Sabbath. But the only reason they're not in yet is because Ozzy refuses the nomination.
This isn't entirely true...Ozzy only decided to refuse the nomination after Sabbath had been passed over for induction for a few years...the elitist panel who selects entrants to the RnR HOF has something against hard rock acts, because Sabbath should be a no brainer as should Van Halen, yet they get no love while the following are inducted as performers:
Clyde McPhatter
Big Joe Turner
Hank Ballard
Jimmy Reed
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Ruth Brown
Little Willie John
Lloyd Price
The Moonglows
The Flamingos

And thats just a sampling. Please someone show me how Black Sabbath and Van Halen are less deserving/influential than all of these performers.

Don't forget the early pioneers like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Ricky Nelson, Carl Perkins, Fats Domino, Everyly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly ...

Hewson said:
This isn't entirely true...Ozzy only decided to refuse the nomination after Sabbath had been passed over for induction for a few years...the elitist panel who selects entrants to the RnR HOF has something against hard rock acts, because Sabbath should be a no brainer as should Van Halen, yet they get no love while the following are inducted as performers:
Clyde McPhatter
Big Joe Turner
Hank Ballard
Jimmy Reed
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Ruth Brown
Little Willie John
Lloyd Price
The Moonglows
The Flamingos

And thats just a sampling. Please someone show me how Black Sabbath and Van Halen are less deserving/influential than all of these performers.

This is blasphemy! I don't even know most of those people! Sabbath deserves to be there!!!! :grumpy: They simply invented heavy metal. :der:

TheBrazilianFly said:

This is blasphemy! I don't even know most of those people! Sabbath deserves to be there!!!! :grumpy: They simply invented heavy metal. :der:

I'd say Zeppelin did with their first album, then moved away from it. In fact, Sabbath have said that all they listened to while making their first few records was Zeppelin. They almost canned Paranoid because they thought it was too obvious a rip off of Zeppelin' sound

UnforgettableLemon said:

I'd say Zeppelin did with their first album, then moved away from it. In fact, Sabbath have said that all they listened to while making their first few records was Zeppelin. They almost canned Paranoid because they thought it was too obvious a rip off of Zeppelin' sound

No, just listen to those songs on their first three records, feel the heaviness that is incomparable with any other bands at that time. There simply are NO songs like those. Led Zeppelin is obviously hard rock, it’s very clear to me. I never heard such things, that Sabbath was listening to Led Zeppelin (I’m not saying that they weren’t), Sabbath was also listening to The Beatles while they were doing they're thing, so…... Zeppelin’s early sound is basically harder blues songs. Sabbath’s sound is different, a lot heavier and more “ugly”. Sabbath’s first record is obviously more blues influenced than any other record of theirs but Paranoid (made in the same year as the first one, 1970), is the shit! I mean the beginning of Iron Man (is heavy metal), the riff from Electrical Funeral is heavy, heavy, heavy! Then their third record comes in the picture and it’s even darker and even heavier. The sound evolved to the more heavy side (not in something like 5 years but in less than 1). Listen to the riff from After Forever that’s maybe the most obvious heavy metal riff ever! And can you find it anywhere else at that time? You can listen to it at 0:35. The whole classic thing of the many riffs in one song, that’s in War Pigs (Paranoid) and in the great and amazing Into The Void is right there, does Zeppeling have any songs that are as heavy or dark as Children Of The Grave (oh mama!), Into the Void and War Pigs. They don’t really. They have other amazing and fantastic songs, that are hard but not as heavy as Sabbath. Every other heavy metal band that we have today (at least the good ones) have written their songs based on the way Sabbath wrote their songs on those three first records (specially number 2 and 3). I know it seems I’m biased, but I’m not. :)

Edit: just fixing some words.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom