History of Rock and Roll - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Patti Smith
Television
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Cure
Depeche Mode
The Smiths

Old 12-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
Are The Animals in the RNRHOF?
Yes, they are.

I actually recently saw Eric Burdon and the Animals play. My friend's band opened for them. It was cool to think about how the guy was a contemporary of the Beatles.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dano

Yes, they are.

I actually recently saw Eric Burdon and the Animals play. My friend's band opened for them. It was cool to think about how the guy was a contemporary of the Beatles.
Are they playing together again? It must be amazing to open for legends like that. Was the place packed? Do you know if they played Sky Pilot?

Just curious.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Its actually a bit of a frustration. We watched my friend's band play and then there was a huge hour and a half delay before the Animals came on stage. By the time they did, everyone else that had ridden with me wanted to leave and weren't interested in staying for a band they didn't know much about no matter how famous they once were. I ended up seeing like 3 songs and then had to leave.

I think it is only Eric Burdon that is left from the 60s band and that everyone else is new. They played "I'm a Man," another song I have forgotten, and a slightly reggaed version of "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood." The man's voice still has a lot of power though. He could really belt it.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:23 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Too bad you coulden't watch it. Your friends need a little more culture!

A reggaed version of Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood....

Eric Burden's voice still is in shape, I have his last solo record and it rocks the house dow!! Thanks for the info anyway!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Black Sabbath. But the only reason they're not in yet is because Ozzy refuses the nomination.
This isn't entirely true...Ozzy only decided to refuse the nomination after Sabbath had been passed over for induction for a few years...the elitist panel who selects entrants to the RnR HOF has something against hard rock acts, because Sabbath should be a no brainer as should Van Halen, yet they get no love while the following are inducted as performers:
Clyde McPhatter
Big Joe Turner
Hank Ballard
Jimmy Reed
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Ruth Brown
Little Willie John
Lloyd Price
The Moonglows
The Flamingos

And thats just a sampling. Please someone show me how Black Sabbath and Van Halen are less deserving/influential than all of these performers.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:00 AM
The Talking Heads anyone?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude
The Talking Heads anyone?
They're in
Old 12-13-2004, 01:10 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Don't forget the early pioneers like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Ricky Nelson, Carl Perkins, Fats Domino, Everyly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly ...
Old 12-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
This isn't entirely true...Ozzy only decided to refuse the nomination after Sabbath had been passed over for induction for a few years...the elitist panel who selects entrants to the RnR HOF has something against hard rock acts, because Sabbath should be a no brainer as should Van Halen, yet they get no love while the following are inducted as performers:
Clyde McPhatter
Big Joe Turner
Hank Ballard
Jimmy Reed
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Ruth Brown
Little Willie John
Lloyd Price
The Moonglows
The Flamingos

And thats just a sampling. Please someone show me how Black Sabbath and Van Halen are less deserving/influential than all of these performers.
This is blasphemy! I don't even know most of those people! Sabbath deserves to be there!!!! They simply invented heavy metal.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

This is blasphemy! I don't even know most of those people! Sabbath deserves to be there!!!! They simply invented heavy metal.
I'd say Zeppelin did with their first album, then moved away from it. In fact, Sabbath have said that all they listened to while making their first few records was Zeppelin. They almost canned Paranoid because they thought it was too obvious a rip off of Zeppelin' sound
Old 12-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon

I'd say Zeppelin did with their first album, then moved away from it. In fact, Sabbath have said that all they listened to while making their first few records was Zeppelin. They almost canned Paranoid because they thought it was too obvious a rip off of Zeppelin' sound
No, just listen to those songs on their first three records, feel the heaviness that is incomparable with any other bands at that time. There simply are NO songs like those. Led Zeppelin is obviously hard rock, it’s very clear to me. I never heard such things, that Sabbath was listening to Led Zeppelin (I’m not saying that they weren’t), Sabbath was also listening to The Beatles while they were doing they're thing, so…... Zeppelin’s early sound is basically harder blues songs. Sabbath’s sound is different, a lot heavier and more “ugly”. Sabbath’s first record is obviously more blues influenced than any other record of theirs but Paranoid (made in the same year as the first one, 1970), is the shit! I mean the beginning of Iron Man (is heavy metal), the riff from Electrical Funeral is heavy, heavy, heavy! Then their third record comes in the picture and it’s even darker and even heavier. The sound evolved to the more heavy side (not in something like 5 years but in less than 1). Listen to the riff from After Forever that’s maybe the most obvious heavy metal riff ever! And can you find it anywhere else at that time? You can listen to it at 0:35. The whole classic thing of the many riffs in one song, that’s in War Pigs (Paranoid) and in the great and amazing Into The Void is right there, does Zeppeling have any songs that are as heavy or dark as Children Of The Grave (oh mama!), Into the Void and War Pigs. They don’t really. They have other amazing and fantastic songs, that are hard but not as heavy as Sabbath. Every other heavy metal band that we have today (at least the good ones) have written their songs based on the way Sabbath wrote their songs on those three first records (specially number 2 and 3). I know it seems I’m biased, but I’m not.

Edit: just fixing some words.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:54 PM   #28
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:

....a genre I would prefer to pretend doesn't exist.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by tennispunk

....a genre I would prefer to pretend doesn't exist.

You're probably on the jury of the Rock N' Roll Hal Of Fame.