Hippie Music Appreciation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dr. zooeuss said:

i also take considerable issue with some common hippie values such as neo-luddism, drug use and anarchism.

Well I'm sure living in Austin you know the hippie movement hasn't quite died yet...:wink:

Well these things still exist, especially in the music industry. Just look at hair metal days, excess of drugs and sex were celebrated probably even more so than in the "hippie" era. Anarchism and luddism still exist as well.

I think the "hippie" movement was actually a very important movement that is quite misunderstood by generations of today, and even people at the time, mainly because so many reduced it down to sex and drugs...

The problem with the movement, was the idealology was great, the speaking out was great, but then it never went futher than that. I think Bono really has a grasp on the concept. He realizes you can speak, write the songs, raise the money, do the benefits, but it's not enough, sometimes you have to get your hands dirty I think that's where so many political artists fail is they aren't willing to step outside the music for awhile. Which is fine, I don't blame them... but real change does take real action.

dr. zooeuss said:

hilarious- there's still a strong contingent here as well

:wave: :sexywink:

the world is getting smaller, but still a large enough place that we'll probably nearly always have some section of society, however small, professing allegiance to just about any and every philosophy and idea that's ever been.

well said as far as people during the "hippie era" not grasping what it takes to exact real and lasting change. no doubt people in another generation will say the same about us.

it was an important and necessary step, i'd never deny that, and it deserves to be recognized for that, and improved upon, which it has been.

your observation about hair metal is accurate but i don't give it the credit of being a movement or philosophy as i do with "hippie-ism".

dr. zooeuss said:

your observation about hair metal is accurate but i don't give it the credit of being a movement or philosophy as i do with "hippie-ism".

Well it wasn't my point to make them a movement, my point is that almost every generation of rock music has it's genre or subcultures that celebrate excess, drugs, sex, etc...

I find it laughable that people still equate these things only with hippies.

I suspect the psychadelics of the 60's enhanced that reputation.

Back
Top Bottom