Hippie Music Appreciation... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:16 AM
The biggest problem with this thread of mine is that we don't have an agreed definition of 'hippie music'. We're all evaluating each other's song additions and answering each other's questions using our own definitions of 'hippie music'.

For me, 'hippie music' simply means music that hippies listened to on a regular or at least a semi-regular basis.

You can't tell me that hippies never listened to Freebird or Janis Joplin or Led Zeppelin or Bob Dylan.

The point, however, is that your definiton of 'hippie' music might well be different from mine.

Oh, and dr.zooeuss still hasn't explained why he's glad we've 'moved on' from the 'hippie phase' or what exactly we've 'moved on' to.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #32
The Male

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
She was a blues and folk singer more so than "hippie music", though.
She played at Monterey Pop though, so she's in the running by default.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
The biggest problem with this thread of mine is that we don't have an agreed definition of 'hippie music'.

Oh, and dr.zooeuss still hasn't explained why he's glad we've 'moved on' from the 'hippie phase' or what exactly we've 'moved on' to.
To me, 'hippie music' is music that's deeply connected to the natural world. It's also a kind of folk music that strongly questions our relationship with technology, consumerism, and politics. It's a pretty open definition, but that's how I see it. In the youtube clip I posted earlier, I think Kermit nails it down pretty well.

I don't really get the 'moved on' comment...I personally think we need more of that kind of ethos in music, and in society, overall.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Regarding Neil Young, I'm only going based off what I've heard by him, which isn't a whole lot, but what I love about his music is how it always has this sort of spooky, fall-ish, late night feel to it all. It's sorta haunting, or something, and I really like it when music sounds that way. Like BonosSaint said, a mood-yeah, he's definitely good at that.

(It's not from the 60s, but seriously, "Harvest Moon".... I love that song so much)
That's an awesome definition, as BonosSaint points out.

It's true about Neil having that fall-ish/night feel--maybe those are the times that really mirror his stark contrasts. I love that kind of music, as well. To me, Radiohead are the only other current-day band that can match his level of melancholy, thoughtfulness, and raw beauty.

Also, seeing how you are "Moonlit_Angel," it's worth noting that Neil's work probably has more mentions of 'moon' than just about any artist in recorded history.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 PM
I used to be crazy about Woodstock 69, peace, love, music and all that stuff. And then 90s grunge and alternative rock happened...
Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

Also, seeing how you are "Moonlit_Angel," it's worth noting that Neil's work probably has more mentions of 'moon' than just about any artist in recorded history.
He pays attention to the moon phases when he writes, our pagan boy. (Or so he says)
Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

While I could go on and on about Neil Young....

There was something infinitely trippy about 60's, early 70's music. By namkcur's definition, which is fine with me, you'd have to include Ravi Shankar. Arlo Guthrie. I love "White Rabbit." I can't live on a steady diet of that period, but it's predominent in my music collection.

PS A "friend' pointed out to me that Neil sounds like Kermit in some songs. Damned if she wasn't right. I had to do a lot of drinking that night to get that image out of my system. But both Neil and I survived the comparison. So the Rainbow Connection freaked me out a little.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:16 AM
Quote:
To me, 'hippie music' is music that's deeply connected to the natural world. It's also a kind of folk music that strongly questions our relationship with technology, consumerism, and politics. It's a pretty open definition, but that's how I see it. In the youtube clip I posted earlier, I think Kermit nails it down pretty well.

I don't really get the 'moved on' comment...I personally think we need more of that kind of ethos in music, and in society, overall.
I totally agree, I wish that that sort of mentality wouldn't just be laughed off and dismissed so easily-it's kinda sad that it is. And I like your description of hippie music, too-there's a definite "connection with nature" belief that hippies tend to support from what I've observed, so I think you're spot on there. I'd also say that it tends to deal strongly with pacifist ideals as well-the whole "peace and love" thing that I referred to earlier.

Quote:
That's an awesome definition, as BonosSaint points out.

It's true about Neil having that fall-ish/night feel--maybe those are the times that really mirror his stark contrasts. I love that kind of music, as well. To me, Radiohead are the only other current-day band that can match his level of melancholy, thoughtfulness, and raw beauty.
Thanks to you and BonosSaint, I'm glad to see others notice that in his music, too . That's interesting to see Radiohead be compared to Neil Young-I never thought of it that way, but I can see where you're getting that. I only know a handful of Radiohead songs (I still have yet to hear an album of theirs in its entirety-I know, I'm horrendously behind ... I have every intention of fixing that down the line, though, trust me), but based off of what I've heard, you're right, those words definitely can describe their music, too, which is why I like the songs I've heard by them as well. I just love music that has a real atmosphere, that allows me to paint vivid mental images when I listen to it, that can make your hair stand on end. And Radiohead can certainly do that, as can Neil Young. Just never thought to compare the two before.

Quote:
LOL! Ah, well, the whole "moon" thing came from a misheard U2 lyric, but now that you mention it, and now that I think about it, I do seem to like bands that reference the moon, or nightfall, or have that sort of feel to them. I'm a night owl as it is, maybe that's the reason why I find myself attracted to music that deals with the night. So knowing that about Neil Young certainly doesn't hurt .

Angela
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
PS A "friend' pointed out to me that Neil sounds like Kermit in some songs. Damned if she wasn't right. I had to do a lot of drinking that night to get that image out of my system. But both Neil and I survived the comparison. So the Rainbow Connection freaked me out a little.
This is hilarious! I swear, about an hour ago I was doing 'research' on Google to see if there was indeed a Neil/Kermit connection! I was thinking he may have inspired Jim Henson (Kermit's creator), but I had no such luck. Definite similarities in their voices. I still think The Rainbow Connection is the best damn song ever performed by a puppet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I just love music that has a real atmosphere, that allows me to paint vivid mental images when I listen to it, that can make your hair stand on end. And Radiohead can certainly do that, as can Neil Young. Just never thought to compare the two before.
From what I've heard (and seen), Thom Yorke's a big fan of Neil. Radiohead occasionally play a cover of Cinnamon Girl, as well as After the Gold Rush. This is from a concert a few years back, where that song leads into their own song, Everything In It's Right Place: Catch the "moon" mention!

By the way, if you're looking to get into a Radiohead album as an experience, I'd go with either Kid A (my favourite), or OK Computer (which is generally regarded as their masterpiece). In Rainbows, the new album, will probably be in that same realm of greatness, once it settles in a bit.

Quote:
While I could go on and on about Neil Young....
He could derail many a good thread.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:16 AM
Quote:
From what I've heard (and seen), Thom Yorke's a big fan of Neil. Radiohead occasionally play a cover of Cinnamon Girl, as well as After the Gold Rush. This is from a concert a few years back, where that song leads into their own song, Everything In It's Right Place: Catch the "moon" mention!
I did not know that. That's pretty cool-nice song choices, too. I'll check out that link, as well as the Neil one, too, thanks for sharing them (and I'll keep an ear out for the "moon" stuff, too ).

Quote:
By the way, if you're looking to get into a Radiohead album as an experience, I'd go with either Kid A (my favourite), or OK Computer (which is generally regarded as their masterpiece). In Rainbows, the new album, will probably be in that same realm of greatness, once it settles in a bit.
I've seen those two albums get recommended a lot, and heard quite a few good things about both of them (and have heard a few songs here and there from both, so I've already had a taste of each of them, which is nice). I'll definitely check them out. And I'm really curious about In Rainbows, too, especially given their marketing strategy for it. Thanks for the recommendations .

Angela
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I love "White Rabbit."
Sorry, we just listened to that song for a music class I'm taking, and I can't stand it. The singer, I forget her name, has a really interesting voice, but that's the only thing I sort of liked about it.

Though, we did just listen to Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You," which was very enjoyable. She has a fabulous voice. I also am liking James Taylor currently...and Simon & Garfunkel is always a good choice.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Grace Slick.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Grace Slick.
That's it.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:16 AM
I take "hippie music" literally - music from the big time o' the hippie, the late 60s, starting with 1967, the summer of love. That's why when you brought up Zeppelin, my mind immediately rejected it, because chronologically, it wasn't the right time period.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #44
War Child

You should have included Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

I was listening to Suite: Judy Blue Eyes earlier today. Good stuff.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:47 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I take "hippie music" literally - music from the big time o' the hippie, the late 60s, starting with 1967, the summer of love. That's why when you brought up Zeppelin, my mind immediately rejected it, because chronologically, it wasn't the right time period.
But...Zeppelin's first four records(I, II, III, and ZOSO) were released between 1969 and 1971.

1969 is right in the thick of hippie times.