Hip-Hop/Rap vs. Punk - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 06:44 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraVioletMofo
Punk music-the real punk music- was so important for its time. It changed the face of music.

And the Clash killed punk music
And they were responsible for its rebirth. It could only have gone so far.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:49 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bollox

still, i consider ice cube's early solo albums (and to lesser extent, dr. dre's "the chronic") to be punk albums driven by a genuine sense of nihilistic anger born out of social injustice
a much lesser extent...the chronic is basically about crime and other illegal activities. "The Day the n--gz took over" is about the only track about social issues on that, and its not anything deep. Ice Cube was a great example, his early albums like "Predator" were really great. However, he is the epitome of what happened to rap music in general. He and most of his genre became all about the money and marketing....

Old 11-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RademR

a much lesser extent...the chronic is basically about crime and other illegal activities. "The Day the n--gz took over" is about the only track about social issues on that, and its not anything deep. Ice Cube was a great example, his early albums like "Predator" were really great. However, he is the epitome of what happened to rap music in general. He and most of his genre became all about the money and marketing....
yeah, that was the main track on the chronic i was thinking of. that album just feels like punk to me because of the overall sense of nihilism that dominates it. of course the style popularized by dre was easily imitated and was quickly done so to the point of self-parody (as is the case with many genres, punk included)

the predator is an excellent album and one of my favourite hip hop albums, along with the chronic. both dropped in '92, shortly after the la riots, and i think they make interesting counterpoints to each other. while cube portrays the riots as an inevitable social uprising borne out of institutionalized racism, dre depicts it as a way to get a tv/vcr/stereo for free.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 08:15 AM
My vote goes to punk.