Hip Hop albums you'd recommend - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive

Old 05-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Hip Hop albums you'd recommend

If I'm looking for some good hip hop with creativity and intelligence and without explicit lyrics, where should I look? Surely the videos on MTV are not representative of the entire genre. I know I'd hate for anyone to judge rock by the videos they see on MTV/VH1.

What about Lauryn Hill and A Tribe Called Quest? Do either of these fit the bill?

Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Please find the enclosed list:

Old 05-29-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 PM
I don't really know the difference between hip hop and rap, but Outkast is brilliant. Any of their albums are worth checking out, I think my personal favourite is Stankonia, but Aquemini and Speakerboxx/The Love Below are also great.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
The Fly

if you can drop your bit about non explicit lyrics then the first 3 Public Enemy albums are some of the best ever
Old 05-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
Old 05-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

And to really answer the question, I'd recommend the first or second album by De La Soul. No parental advisories, really fun music. The first album is called 'Three Feet High and Rising' and the second is 'De La Soul Is Dead.' De La Soul are closely related musically to A Tribe Called Quest. I never listened to ATCQ all that much, but I'd guess they'd be what you are looking for too. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #7
The Fly

Rap and Hip-Hop are the worst things to happen to the music industry. It makes me sick that people get rich off singing about drugs, sex, murder and having hot women in their videos. I'd rather shoot myself then listen to those losers.

Sorry, just my opinion, I recommend any U2 album btw! Especially October for you!
Old 05-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
War Child

Umm... I already have every U2 cd and love ALL of them.

When listening to today's rap/hip hop, I'm not very impressed. Explicit lyrics are tolerable in small doses, but too much of it shows a lack of vocabulary and/or too much anger for my tastes. It seems to me that the majority of rock cd's do not have the 'Explicit Lyrics' sticker while the majority of rap cd's do have it. All I'm wanting is some quality music that is not sexist and isn't saturated with ghetto attitude.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've heard of De La Soul and might just check them out. I used to really like rap in the late '80s, early '90s and Public Enemy just isn't what I'm looking for at this point in my life. I know they're highly regarded and have some good songs though.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
She's the One

Local Time: 10:11 AM
The College Dropout by Kanye West is an amazing record.

It's got a few dirty words on it, but the lyrics, the music, and the production are great. I like it better than my Outkast records even.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
The Fly

yeah i knew PE wasnt what you were looking, but i just couldnt help plugging them
Old 05-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
The Fly

I guess I'm the only one here who likes the nasty shit. The 50 Cent album is to rap what HTDAAB is to rock: every song is catchy as hell. Wall to wall hooks and great production. Highly recommended if you don't mind the content.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #12
The Fly

Oh yeah, and The Game's album is a great soul record. This guy really put his heart into it, but it's not as fun to listen as "The Massacre".

I saw The Game at the Vault 350 in Long Beach in March and what a show. He's got massive presence. He came out of nowhere but had it down like he's been doing forever. After the show, 200 riot cops were outside, and 2 ghetto birds flying overhead, just in case a riot broke out. Pretty hilarious.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
War Child

Some of 50 Cent's stuff does sound great, I'll give him that. But the problem is that catchiness is only half the equation for me. When I bought HTDAAB, I didn't just get a bunch of great melodies. I also got some well written (COBL/Crumbs), sentimental (Sometimes), and flat out gorgeous (MD/OOTS) lyrics. There are a number of other rock CDs that have these qualities (even if they don't do it as good as U2) . I just don't understand why there can't be more rap lyrics along these lines.

Kayne West. I was very impressed with Jesus Walks (who wasn't), but he just doesn't seem all that different than the rest. I'll look into College Dropout a little further though.

I guess there just aren't a lot of people out there that object to nasty lyrics (judging by the sales charts).
Old 05-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #14
The Fly

Fiddy's rhymes are amazing and paint a sinister picture of where he's from. If there is anything objectionable its the complete absence of morality from his behavior.

I still haven't picked up the Kanye album. I always meant to after hearing his production skills on "Dreams" from The Game album.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:11 PM
I don't think there's a genre of music that suffers from what is played on the radio more than hip-hop. If all you know of hip-hop is lyrics about guns/cars/women/drugs and video clips that only feature the same, you are only hearing the bottom 5%.

Are you actually going to go and by an album based on a recommendation, or are you going to do a spot of downloading first to check some stuff out?