Hide Mr Parker-Bowles, Quick, Hide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Charles and Parker Bowles are marrying in a civil ceremony because the Church of England - of which Charles will become supreme governor when he takes the throne - traditionally frowns on church marriages for divorcees whose spouses are still alive.

Charles, 56, divorced Diana in 1996. She died in a car accident the next year. Parker Bowles, 57, also is divorced, and her ex-husband is still alive.

:uhoh:

the Queen isn't going to the wedding now

they're saying its for security cos the wedding is happening in Windsor town hall, but I reckon it's cos she doesn't approve of charles getting married in a civil ceremony (which, by the way, is illegal for members of the royal family)

:laugh:

this wedding is a (illegal) farce :D

ps apparantly Princess Anne isn't going to the wedding either.

The story is, apparantly, that originally she was going out with Andrew Parker Bowles and Charles was going out with camilla

Then Anne wasn't allowed to marry Andrew cos he's a catholic, and Charles and Camilla broke up (Charles wasn't allowed to marry Camilla cos she wasn't a virgin) and Camilla married Andrew. So Anne hates Camilla cos she got the man Anne wanted

So Anne ended up with Captain Mark Phillips. Another reason Anne probably won't go to the wedding is that it falls on the same day as the horse trials which Anne orgainises

:laugh: it's all just a hotbed of scandal and intrigue :laugh:

bammo2 said:

The story is, apparantly, that originally she was going out with Andrew Parker Bowles and Charles was going out with camilla

Then Anne wasn't allowed to marry Andrew cos he's a catholic, and Charles and Camilla broke up (Charles wasn't allowed to marry Camilla cos she wasn't a virgin) and Camilla married Andrew. So Anne hates Camilla cos she got the man Anne wanted

So Anne ended up with Captain Mark Phillips. Another reason Anne probably won't go to the wedding is that it falls on the same day as the horse trials which Anne orgainises

:laugh: it's all just a hotbed of scandal and intrigue :laugh:

Bloody hell :lol:

The mind boggles.

I reckon they should invite Koo Stark :|

bammo2 said:
Another reason Anne probably won't go to the wedding is that it falls on the same day as the horse trials which Anne orgainises

Hey! That's important stuff! :D

bammo2 said:

not for the royal family. They're only allowed (supposedly) to marry in church

Yes Royals aren't allowed to have civil ceremonies but they also arent allowed to get married in a church unless both former spouses are dead. If Mr Parker-Bowles should happen to somehow die :uhoh: then C&C could get married in a church, legally. :shifty:

bammo2 said:
There is already talk of a legal challenge to the wedding

:laugh:

:lol: Why? Who cares? People who are into pomp? Shes not going to be the Queen anyway. Shes going to be the Duchess of Cornwall, ie one of Dianas titles.

I reckon Anne should be King. :D

it's probably people with too much time on their hands :D

and there are still quite a lot of people who are trying to hang on to tradition.

I can kind of see where they're coming from. Tradition is the whole point of the royal family, really, nowadays. That's what's interesting about them (to me)

:lol:

my mum knows everything there is to know about the royal family, going back to richard I. Funnily enough, she isn't a ardent royalist though. She just finds it intresting.

It is from her that I learn all my funny little titbits of information :up: :D

Oh Beli you are overdosing on this wedding post (you started).:sexywink:

Hey, with so many empty seats at the wedding, you could have a peek-a-boo. :giggle:

lol. I'm stuck under the baby at the moment.

I dont know that I would want to peek a boo at this wedding. When/if Willie and Harry marry those weddings will beworth watching but this one?

Actually I will watch it to see Princess Marys frock, and that new Spanish princess, and the Dutch ones, and....

beli said:
Actually I will watch it to see Princess Marys frock, and that new Spanish princess, and the Dutch ones, and....

…………and the drunken family fights you get at an Aussie (piss up:drunk: ) wedding :yikes:

Last edited:
Princess Mary - an Australian who has become a princess and is going to show the rest of them how it is done:applaud: :applaud:

beli said:

I dont know that I would want to peek a boo at this wedding. When/if Willie and Harry marry those weddings will beworth watching but this one?

I will watch Wills and Harry's weddings. I will also watch Charles and Camilla's.

[q]Originally posted by bammo2

it's all just a hotbed of scandal and intrigue[/q]

:laugh: DAMN!

Millionaires on welfare. Sorry, inbred millionaires on welfare. The whole lot of them.

beli said:
Yes Royals aren't allowed to have civil ceremonies but they also arent allowed to get married in a church unless both former spouses are dead. If Mr Parker-Bowles should happen to somehow die :uhoh: then C&C could get married in a church, legally. :shifty:

Kind of silly, considering the Church of England was founded solely so Henry VIII could divorce Catherine of Aragon.

Melon

I have never liked the Queen so much ever!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I hope the two of them get all that they deserve: No wedding allowed!!!! HAHA!!

nbcrusader said:
I got this by email:

Hey! Thatb pic is s an insult to the poor horse!:lol:

What amazes me is how pious the Anglican Church can be. I went to a Church Of England school as a youngster and chose to be christened at the age of 7. That was before I realised the ulterior motives of the Church's founder.

First - apologies to all who know the history of this subject, but I feel the need to outline it:

A dispensation from Pope Julius II was necessary in order to allow Henry VIII to marry his brother's widow Catherine of Aragon, and this was obtained on the basis of non-consummation. They contracted a marriage on June 11, 1509. Following difficulties with Rome over his divorce from Catherine (which was not sanctioned by the Pope, who was under pressure from Catherine's nephew, Charles V at the time), Henry split from the Roman Catholic Church, seized many of the Church's assets, and formed the Church of England. This became final with the passing of the Act of Supremacy 1536.

This is why I find it utterly daft that the C of E take such a high moral ground about divorcees remarrying: Henry VIII set it up purely so he could remarry!

I find certain aspects of the British monarchy interesting because of my historical interests, but this story is nothing but a damn soap opera if you ask me.

sallycinnamon78 said:

This is why I find it utterly daft that the C of E take such a high moral ground about divorcees remarrying: Henry VIII set it up purely so he could remarry!

I've never understood that either! I'd like the Church of England to explain it to me.

One of my Episcopalian friends threw me when he said "You know, our church was founded on sex." "It was?" I wasn't thinking Anglican church, I was thinking Anabaptists or something really kinky. "Oh yes. All because Henry wanted a divorce so he could sleep with Anne Bolyen." "Oh. Oh, that..."

I think it's odd the Church still labels Charles a divorcee when he is, by their reckoning, a widower.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I find certain aspects of the British monarchy interesting because of my historical interests, but this story is nothing but a damn soap opera if you ask me.

But verte - it's not a bit of drama - it's a fact, and is accepted by the majprity of historians in this country.

Scarily enough, this was something I learned at church school. Having been educated at Church of England schools for many years, I know a fair bit about this particular subject.

But out of interest - what do you believe wereHenry VIII's motives for establishing the C of E ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom