Hidden Tracks - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Hidden Tracks

They're annoying if they're appended to the end of a song and more annoying when there's a large silence between them.

The Album Leaf's "In a Safe Place" has an extra annoying hidden track, because not only is it appended to the end of a song, but it is so quiet that you have to boost your volume really high to even hear it. And it's a full song too.

So I said "fuck it" and used an audio editing program to boost the volume of that section by 35 decibels. Now my iTunes and I are happy.

Melon

Old 03-18-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 02:03 AM
couldnt agree more!! hidden tracks like that really piss me off!!!!

Old 03-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
The Tea Party put a short "snippet" at the end of the last track on The Edges Of Twilight, after several minutes of silence... My stereo never played it out that long, I'd never heard it til one night I had the CD in my computer and was up late late late, whole house was dark except where I was.. the last track ended, something like 10 minutes of silence goes by, and then

"....THWACKcrashthud...
*sound of studio playback*sound of singer crying?/singing*..."

I damned near had a coronary.. the first sound, I found out later was the guy throwing something at or hitting a wall in the studio, and instruments falling... basically having a breakdown. But lemme just tell you, middle-of-the-night silence suddenly broken by that "hidden snip" playing, it's a good thing I couldn't sleep anyway because I had all kinds of adrenaline going after that... gah...
Old 03-18-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:03 PM

Though it's not a hidden "song"...and I realize this is U2-related in B&C, but you guys know at the end of "The Wanderer" there's that damn beeping sound after all the silence? When I crashed my dad's car, I had been listening to Zooropa. It continued to play because I hadn't even thought to turn the car off after the crash until the paramedics were preparing to remove me from the car. After Dad got me from the hospital, we went to the garage it had been towed to. Though the car was undriveable, Dad wanted to see if it would start. When he did, the CD cued back up...and after a few seconds of silence, it went into the beeping sound. He thought that some sort of alarm was going off and freaked out.

As for hidden tracks...I mean, it's nice to have another song...but it's an annyong way to get it. I'd rather they just include it as a regular track. One of my favorite hidden tracks is Whiskeytown's "To Be Evil", which can be found after the silence of "Bar Lights" on Pneumonia.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 03-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:03 PM
hidden tracks are SO '90's

shit or get off the pot, i say

Old 03-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
Though it's not a hidden "song"...and I realize this is U2-related in B&C, but you guys know at the end of "The Wanderer" there's that damn beeping sound after all the silence? When I crashed my dad's car, I had been listening to Zooropa. It continued to play because I hadn't even thought to turn the car off after the crash until the paramedics were preparing to remove me from the car. After Dad got me from the hospital, we went to the garage it had been towed to. Though the car was undriveable, Dad wanted to see if it would start. When he did, the CD cued back up...and after a few seconds of silence, it went into the beeping sound. He thought that some sort of alarm was going off and freaked out.
...oh, no! Your poor dad (and you-sorry to hear that about the car ...). What'd he say when you told him what the beeping sound was (seriously, what the hell is with that beeping sound, anyway?)?

As for hidden tracks, I can see where some might find them pointless, especially considering the fact that some people won't know there's a hidden track, so they'll turn off their CD after the last official song has ended (I probably would've done that with U2's "1980-1990" CD had I not heard people talking about the hidden track before I got the CD), and they may not hear the hidden track. And I can see where wolfeden's coming from, too-it'd suck if the hidden track's volume were either too high or too low, especially if there was a silence in between.

Angela
Old 03-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:03 PM
wolfeden. That would have scared me too!

It was months before I knew about the hidden track 'Black Market Blood' on Placebo's Black Market Music album. I always listened to the CD in the car, so I never saw the time length of the last track. Mofo had to tell me, the Placebho, that it was there.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:03 PM
I'm scared of the hidden tracks.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Another exceptionally awful hidden track is in Hybrid's "Morning Sci-Fi" album, which is actually in "negative" time. Yes, it actually occurs from something like -6 minutes to 0 minutes. It screws with some CD/DVD drives, while most will play it starting from the 0 minutes mark.

I ended up ripping the whole CD to MP3 and using a very technical audio ripping program to set the extraction manually and got the "Hidden Track" that way. That was such a fucking pain in the ass.

Melon
Old 03-19-2005, 04:17 AM   #10
Blue Meth Addict

I like hidden songs if they're good. Some bands have actually released some really great tracks as 'hidden' songs. Best example being The Clash, who originally released London Calling with 'Train in Vain' being a 'hidden' song.

Another example is AFI's last album's hidden song 'This Time Imperfect'. This was a favorite of mine from that album, and also a fan favorite, it was even played regularly when they toured for the album. AFI has released hidden songs fairly consistantly, with most all of them being quite enjoyable. They covered 'Man In a Suitcase' by The Police and 'Last Caress' by The Misfits as the hidden tracks on some of their early albums' vinyl versions, and had very enjoyable hidden tracks on their Black Sails in the Sunset and Art of Drowning albums ('Midnight Sun' aka 'Beyond and To All Time' is actually one of my favorites of theirs, it's the hidden track on Black Sails)
Old 03-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
mmm, I was thinking of This Time Imperfect as well..

"...just how much you........"

goes to show, some bands use the possibilities well.. some are a pain in the gnads.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Its alright if its just a next track straight after the last one but I hate it when its attached to the last song with a long silence in between, its just so annoying.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 09:03 PM
At least your hidden tracks didn't have a long assed gap before surfacing. I have Offspring's Smash album and I believe I had to wait about 11 mins before a short instrumental showed up... which if you think about it was sort of a gyp... 11 mins of dead silence for a min or so of instrument.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:11 PM   #14
Refugee

The worst gap between last song and "hidden song" award goes to Oasis-Heathen Chemestry. After the last song there is a 30 min. gap before the hidden song begins. All I had to say was...why?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I happen to like hidden tracks. It's like something else to look forward to.

I am particuarly fond of that song on Alanis Morissete's "Jagged Little Pill" because that's the first one I heard, thus realizing the possiblity of an existance of a song I hadn't prepared to listen to.

I can't believe someone would complain about more music than you paid for.