Hey! Twenty-Somethings! Over here! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2003, 08:51 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:30 AM
As much as I want to scoff at this, I just can't. When I was 25 I found myself hating the job I had been so happy to get after graduating from college. I was constantly fighting with my supervisors and my co-workers. One day I would have a big chip on my shoulder and tell myself I was the one who was right and they were all a bunch of idiots, and the next day I would wonder if I was the one who was the idiot. (Looking back I think it was a little bit of both). I also remember how I would get together with my best friend from high school and realize we no longer had anything in common. Actually, that started happening long before I turned 25, but it was right around the time I hit 25 that we began to drift apart for good.

I can't say everything is perfect 10 years down the road, but I'm far more stable emotionally now than I was then. So there is hope!

Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 PM   #17

Quote:
You look at your job... and it is not even close to what you thought you would be doing, or maybe you are looking for a job and realizing that you are going to have to start at the bottom and that scares you.
Yep, this sounds like me.
I'm a junior in college with one more year to go, and the fact that by next year, I'll be looking for a job (a real job, not part-time, pocket money job) and finding my way in the world, is beginning to freak me out. I don't think I am ready to do this, but it's going to happen soon, and semesters go by really fast, so I'll be job hunting before I know it. But I know I am not ready to do this. I'm seriously considering going to grad school to avoid this. Like I'll be avoiding the real world as much as possible.

I'm also thinking about spending up to a year travelling around the world, because I'm afraid I won't have to time to be free and have fun anymore. It's like once you get a full-time job, play ends, and work consumes your life.

And more thing, I am also having doubts about the major I chose. I'm wondering if its right for me, or did I make a mistake, or is this something I really want to do. But I think that's because I don't know exactly what I specifically want to do with that degree. You know, how you'll do the job you spent four years studying for.

Yeah, this is like a second adolescence, right? You're being forced to grow up and give up some of your identity you've been spending a couple years getting to know. And then, graduation hits and you're forced out of that cocoon you've grown accustomed to before you even think you are ready...and I am rambling right now. But I just wanted to get this off my chest.

But yeah, this is frightening for me. I know I'm being dramatic about this, but that's how it feels for me. It's becoming more of a reality as this semester ends, and the new one begins soon, then Spring comes...and Boom, everything's over.

Good luck everybody!
Perle

Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I went through all of those things a couple years ago. That spring/summer seemed like sheer torture but it really forced me to take a look at myself and pull everything together. I think back to that time and cringe but at the same time I am kind of thankful that I went through it. It's true that I realized what true friendship was and really help find out my true character.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:31 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

i remember exactly when my quarterlife crisis began... i was sitting in class the week after i turned 21, the prof was going on about how the average age of marrige in the united states was 25... and i started thinking to myself gee that's not that far off, i best get crackin'... and then i realized that for the first time in my life i'm closer to 30 than i am to 10... and that freaked the shit out of me... i had to get up and leave the class for some fresh air
Old 04-08-2003, 10:21 PM   #20
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

im 22 and graduating coming up, its a little scary
Yeah, I am in May and have been having panic attacks about it since last fall. I hate all of this, and am so sick of feeling this way.
Goddamn, I hope 30 comes quick.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:59 PM   #21
Refugee

WOW, really makes you think....
Old 04-09-2003, 06:26 AM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Except for the whole bit about loving someone and loving someone else, one night stands and getting wasted, I can relate to all of that. Never had a one night stand, and it's been a loooong time since I've been wasted. But I definitely identify with the rest of that.

I think I hit my quarter-life crisis around 22 1/2.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:01 AM   #23
MacPhisto's serving wench

Yikes....!

While it's sad that we've all felt this, it's also somewhat comforting to know we're not alone...

It seems most of you have had the 'crisis' after college....from what it looks like above.

I'm 20 now, and I think I've hit my mid-life crisis. I'm wondering how long it'll last... Anxiety stinks.

When you think about how much is supposed to happen in your twenties, it's no wonder we all feel the way we do. In their twenties, so many of us are getting married, graduating, finding jobs/careers that are potentially supposed to last us until retirement...it's like, the beginning of the rest of your life. NO WONDER we're stressed!
Old 04-09-2003, 11:43 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:30 AM
Wow, that really hit the nail on the head. I don't think I've quite arrived at my quarter-life crisis yet (I'm 20), but I get the feeling that I'm on my way. With my junior year of college almost over I'm starting to get a little freaked out.

At least it's comforting to know that everyone goes through this- I guess it's just a part of life.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:12 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i remember exactly when my quarterlife crisis began... i was sitting in class the week after i turned 21, the prof was going on about how the average age of marrige in the united states was 25... and i started thinking to myself gee that's not that far off, i best get crackin'... and then i realized that for the first time in my life i'm closer to 30 than i am to 10... and that freaked the shit out of me... i had to get up and leave the class for some fresh air

I do this kind of math ALL THE TIME!!
At 25.. I'm as close to 10 as I am to 40.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #26
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing
Getting wasted and acting ike an idiot starts to look pathetic.
wow, I wonder when over the next two years this will kick in
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #27
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Re: Hey! Twenty-Somethings! Over here!

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing
You look at your job... and it is not even close to what you thought you would be doing, or maybe you are looking for a job and realizing that you are going to have to start at the bottom and that scares you.
Ain't that the truth...
Old 04-09-2003, 12:58 PM   #28
Elvis' Naughty Angel

You know what... You think College graduation is hard... wait until you are 28. That's all I am saying.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
amen angel!

28 = a major bitch to deal with!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:53 PM   #30
New Yorker

I identify with almost all of this.

I guess it is good for you in the long run, but damn if it does not suck arse in the present. If i knew 7 years ago as much about myself as I do today i would have gone a very different route in school and career that is for sure.

27, single and all your friends getting hitched is a bit odd.