Hey, marrieds and long-term relationships....how do YOU keep it interesting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrs. Edge said:
I want to preface this by saying that my husband is the sweetest kindest man, and there is no doubt that he loves me. BUT, I think in all the 12 years we have been together, I could count on 2 hands the number of times he has said I am beautiful, or sexy, or look great in my outfit...I don't think he's ever said WOW even on our wedding day.

I feel really spoiled now after reading this.

:hug:

nbcrusader said:

I found the most appreciated Valentine's gift, for example, was when I purchased a box of kids Valentines cards (the kind intended for distribution in a classroom). I wrote a little message on each card and hid them throughout the house. My wife still remembers the joy she had running around looking for the cards.

:up: :cute: Sam and I are having an Easter egg hunt when he's here in April. :laugh: :hyper:

Hola Mrs Edge....in my case also it has to be "more than words", my husband is very non-verbal...very. You're not alone mate.But as bonosloveslave and Angela said, it's up to you to live your life as you want it to be. I realised at one stage I was not expressing myself because he didn't. And then I realised how old I was getting and how sad and wasteful that was.( as my mother says.."you're dead a long time") So now, even though there is not much chance of the behaviour being reciprocated, I do the things I want to do for my own satisfaction and need to express. He once told a counsellor he reluctantly spoke with, that he expresses his love for me, by not having affairs with other women. She agreed, I nearly fainted. I suppose that is the ultimate honour really. Opportunity abounds. So that's why I blurted out the "WOW" thing here. It was such a shock. But sheesh I have worked hard this past year, the biggie being giving up smoking at his request, so I think I deserved some tidbit and I gushed about it here.Woops...again.

About the brown chook. You have given me an excuse to write a topic one day when time allows. Someone in the chatroom once said, I knew you were Australian because you used the word "chook". As it turns out it is a gaelic word, as are a lot of common-usage Aussie slang words....I'll get back to you on that one.

but just so you don't feel too concerned in the mean time, chook=egg-laying hen.

There have been so many nice posts.

We are going on year ten this August 21 of Marriage. Year 15 since our first date.

I would say we have periods of contentment and periods of burning passion. I do not wish to ever be single again.

To combat relationship boredom I shave my back.........HEHE

In all seriousness, I have never thought about boredom. There is no time around here. The one thing I asked for last summer was a set of bikes for the family. We got matching his and hers. My son rides on the back of hers, and my daughter rides on a trai-a-bike behind me. We spent sooooo much time together, enjoying family time. Riding the Cape Cod Canal, and the trails in the forests and the Board Walk in Ocean City, NJ. One evening in the forest we saw a herd of deer. These things, this time, is not replaceable for all the gold in the world.

I have also done romantic things, for her. Surprised her when she came home from work with a candle enhanced bubble bath and Harry Connik playing, while I made eggplant parmisian for her. Breakfast in bed....and flowers at work on the anniversary of our first date. Her favorite may be the day at the Spa that I set up for her without telling her, topped off with an unexpected night out set up without the kids.

I just asked her and she says laughing. I still make her laugh and that is what she remembers when we were dating oh so long ago. She and I still flirt and when the kids are not looking.....well....I will let ya immagine (hairy back and all).

As for money.........We DO not go nuts on gifts at holidays, or birthdays. It is just not what makes us tick.

nbcrusader said:

I found the most appreciated Valentine's gift, for example, was when I purchased a box of kids Valentines cards (the kind intended for distribution in a classroom). I wrote a little message on each card and hid them throughout the house. My wife still remembers the joy she had running around looking for the cards.

that is an AWESOME idea!!!

and I'm using it the valentines day.

grazi.:sexywink:

Dreadsox said:
I would say we have periods of contentment and periods of burning passion. I do not wish to ever be single again.

To combat relationship boredom I shave my back.........HEHE

This is an idea for my husband, he's a hairy guy :laugh:

We're the same as a lot of you have said - we have periods of contentment and burning passion, as well as rocky periods, but the bad parts don't last for long. Just as circumstances change and events happen we roll with it and make it through.

It's true that relationships require a lot of hard work. It's not at all like the fairy tales where you get married and "live happily ever after." At least it's not for us. We have to work at it constantly to keep the romantic feelings going. That was one of my problems was I had an unrealistic expectation of marriage. In actuality it's hard work!!

One of the things I also had to learn is the importance of other support systems like family and friends. For example my husband hates U2!!! :ohmy: For years I was angry at him for not sharing my musical interest but finally I was able to see that we didn't have to like everything 100% of the time. It's healthy to have relationships with other people and interests outside the relationship as well. I don't have to go to car shows with him, and he doesn't have to go shopping with me :D

For us, it helps to get out for "dates" once in awhile, or have a dance in the livingroom, or just go out to eat, to kind of bring back the "good old days" when we were dating. Before we had all the extra stress and responsiblities and could focus on each other!

We've been married 7 years, and together 3 years before that.

Back
Top Bottom