Hey! Let's talk about bed linens!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what the heck is a duvet?

comforters are what keep me from freezing my ass off during the winter. that's all i know.

A duvet is just a thick inner layer of bedding that is usually inserted into a duvet cover. I don't know what a comforter cover is. :shrug: Probably something similar. The word "duvet" doesn't seem to be used as much in North America as it is in the rest of the world. I once asked a Wal-Mart attendant if they had any duvet covers and she looked at me as though I was crazy.

I am looking for a new duvet cover for my down comforter. My very cute little dog keeps chewing holes through my bed linens and comforters, blankets.... Grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

my comforter has a cover (it's got reindeer and snowflakes on it. i've had it since longer than i can remember. it's awesome, flannel, really warm), and yet...still a comforter. none of this duvet stuff, which i'm assuming isn't pronounced "doo-vet," but "doo-vay?"

bed linens = :up:

Don't know a thing about them, except that I'd rather be with them than without them.

I think.

...right?

i think they're the same thing. you put the comforter in the "duvet" so you just have to wash the duvet instead of the comforter, you know what imean? so technically, it is a comforter cover ;] i guess....

mine matches my orange and green stripes walls! =)

GibsonGirl said:
A duvet is just a thick inner layer of bedding that is usually inserted into a duvet cover. I don't know what a comforter cover is. :shrug: Probably something similar. The word "duvet" doesn't seem to be used as much in North America as it is in the rest of the world. I once asked a Wal-Mart attendant if they had any duvet covers and she looked at me as though I was crazy.
That had nothing to do with the words you used... in my experience ALL Wal-Mart employees have that look when asked even the simplest question, i.e. "Where is the restroom?" :crazy:

:lmao:

BluRmGrl said:

That had nothing to do with the words you used... in my experience ALL Wal-Mart employees have that look when asked even the simplest question, i.e. "Where is the restroom?" :crazy:

:lmao:

:lol:

True.

Definitions of Duvet Cover on the Web:

also known as a “doona.” It is a washable cover used to enclose and protect a duvet inner. It is fastened shut with nickel poppers or domes.
www.treehouse.net.nz/glossary

Also known as a comforter cover. A fabric cover for a comforter. Can be created from fabric or two flat sheets.
www.eldridgetextile.com/guide/vocabulary.html

Duvet Covers are used to decorate and protect down filled comforters and blankets. They work like giant pillow cases and usually have a button or tiew enclosure at one end. The Covers can be washed easily and so protect your cozy down comforter, which would be much harder to launder every week! Europeans use Duvet Covers instead of top flat sheets so they prefer a higher thread count so a softer duvet.
www.beachhouselinens.com/catalog/glossary.php

Decorative cover used for protection of down comforters.
www.pioneerlinens.com/index.cfm

:flirt:

bed linens :drool:

It's frigid here so currently on my bed are jersey sheets (like t-shirt material), an electric blanket, a comforter, a wool blanket, a fleece blanet, and then a blanket made of sweatshirt materialfor the top layer (easily washable - cats sit on it all day).

I love flanel, but it's WAAAAAAY too hot for the summer and I'm way too poor to have more than one sheet set.

I do own a duvet cover, but I'm too lazy to stuff my comforter in it, and it makes a great beach blanket.

A duvet is a comforter so there is no difference. It's obviously a French term for it.

Generally speaking, though, what is referred to a duvet in a linen store in North America is something which is stuffed with down (usually goose), or synthetic down (for those with allergies). Duvets are then rated for warmth based on things like their heaviness and the type of down used. They can therefore be VERY expensive if you want something that is very, very high quality. We are talking several hundred dollars for the higher end ones. They don't have patterns on them, they're usually white, off-white or grey and that's why you need a duvet cover over it, usually comes as a set with pillowcases, etc.

Comforters are cheaper, always stuffed with polyester filling and come in different colours and patterns so you don't need a cover unless you really hate the way it looks. A lot of the ones you see in stores like Nautica, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, etc are not meant to be used with covers, because they are designed to be used as-is.

Yes, I have a fetish for linens, can you tell?

Also known as a comforter cover. A fabric cover for a comforter. Can be created from fabric or two flat sheets.

Ah ha! That's my idea! MY room is purple and I don't find many duvet covers that I like that would match my room (but no I am NOT a Martha Stewart).....so I thought maybe find some fabric or sheets I DO like.....and make my own duvet cover! I think that might just be a project for over the holidays! Thanks, Doozer! :wink:

Ah... my weakness has been revealed. I'm ridiculously particular about my sheets. The thread count, the fabric etc...
I just got a great down comforter the other day for my duvet cover for $140. I know, it seems expensive but it's really well made, king size, and most importantly, marked down from $350.00. I'll stop there before I embarass myself.

:hmm: Apparently I have a duvet. I hesitate to spend a shitload of money on a new cover for it due to a variety of four-legged animals depositing a variety of fluids on it.

Maybe I'll just relearn to love my old cover for a while.

She Is Raging said:
Ah... my weakness has been revealed. I'm ridiculously particular about my sheets. The thread count, the fabric etc...
I just got a great down comforter the other day for my duvet cover for $140. I know, it seems expensive but it's really well made, king size, and most importantly, marked down from $350.00. I'll stop there before I embarass myself.

Haha, I have duvets I had imported from Europe, LOL! They flew in the cargo hold. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom