hey is there a genuine nurse or doctor here? I gots a question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
Sorry, but Im hopin someone out there can tell me........Im thick when it comes to lots of tings and one is understanding blood pressure.........can someone tell me what like 100 over 80 etc means??

pleasey?

smile.gif

Well, look, if anyone does pop back in here, I will tell ya what is concerning us........mums been up and down past four weeks gettin her pressure taken, now the 188 on the top has gone down to 100 but for some reason the bottom still says 90 or 90+ - so this is whats confusin everyone......why wont it shift? what does it all mean anyway?????

Maddie, I'm just gonna paste what I found on Yahoo Health.

Blood pressure readings are usually given as two numbers: for example, 110 over 70 (written as 110/70). The first number is called the "systolic blood pressure" reading, and it represents the maximum pressure exerted when the heart contracts. The second number (the lower number) is called the "diastolic blood pressure" reading, and it represents the pressure in the arteries when the heart is at rest.

Several women in my family are on BP medication, and from what I've heard them say, the Doctor may have to change the dosage until he/she gets it just right.

maddie, I'm no doc either, but I do read the brochures when I'm waiting for the doctor, so I'll tell you what I know.

The top number (in your mum's case, 100) is called the systolic pressure. This is the pressure of blood against the artery walls as the heart contracts (beats). The bottom number is called the diastolic pressure. This is the pressure of blood against the artery walls when the heart is relaxing between beats. Normal blood pressure is considered less than 130 systolic and less than 85 diastolic. In other words, it sounds like your mum's bp has improved quite a bit. He systolic is ideal, and her diastolic is a little high, but not bad.
Do they have her on Lipitor or some other med?

As for why one number drops while the other doesn't...I don't know. The brochure didn't go that in-depth!

EDIT: Looks like someone already covered all this!

[This message has been edited by Spiral_Staircase (edited 04-22-2002).]

hi maddie,

blood pressure is reported as 2 numbers. the first is the systolic reading which measures the pressure of the blood on arteries when the heart is contracting. the lower number is the diastolic, this is taken when the heart relaxes, eg in between beats.

for most adults you want your systolic reading to be 120 and diastolic to be 80 i think. of course it varies with all sorts of different factors. it looks as if your mothers pressure has fallen significantly but it isn't that far below the normal.

hope this helps and everyone gets better
smile.gif

110/80 is considered "perfect" but you can be slightly higher or lower and be normal...100/90 sounds like they have things under control. How is your mum doing by the way?

**sorry, I just noticed that I typed 110/80...that should be 120/80.

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 04-22-2002).]

Well I'm a nurse, but my field is neonatal, where BP is much different than in adults. Looks like you're mom has done a great job so far in lowering her diastolic pressure! As for the bottom number, it's still a little high... i'm not sure exactly why, other than maybe she has perhaps some build up somewhere in her arteries?? Is she on medication or anything?

------------------

What in God's name have you done?
Stick your arm for some real fun...
Rest in peace Layne.

Hi everyone, tanks to all those above who responded...
smile.gif
I tink I just about understands now.......but...........still it is a worry for both mum and doctor......See, she was given 3 weeks sick leave, then another 2, (which will be up next Tues), and has relaxed, taken it easy..........................we even had fun for a couple of Saturdays, we went to Titanic exhibition then shopping, and the following weekend as a birthday prezzie I wanted to buy her a tree, so we went driving and got one, and Im glad cause its something she will enjoy tending to and watching grow.........
smile.gif

(damn postin twice again......
frown.gif

anyway she even went to the Royal Hospital where they did loads of tests and found absolutely nothing wrong with her heart.......!!!!!
So its all still a mystery why last Friday she goes and only the number underneath stays the same............and to make things a lot bloody worse, shes supposed to be going on holiday next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cornwall, for 12 days, and to see the Eden Centre......................we are all concerned she'll not be allowed even though its a boat trip over.......
frown.gif
this is awful.........
frown.gif
and last night we got the biggest scare of our lives, mummy was in brushing her hair up, and above he right ear......there was a small baldy patch...........
eek.gif
we tink its connected to the tyroid prob, but are prayin its nuttin like Alopeca starting..........................

Im waiting now for her to call me and let me know how she is, shes up at surgery this mornin.........................

shes only on medi for the thryoid and hernia.........................

this sucks..............very much for my mum........................(love u mum.....smile...
smile.gif
keep ur chin up xxx..)

Hiya, sorry called back to say mummy did call me.....and the patch of hair missing, apparantly is all down to the tyroid, we wont know if she will lose anymore at the moment....
frown.gif

erm, the doccie has now put her on blood pressure tabs................she was put on a water tablet for a while, called Bendrosluazide 2.5mg, to see if that would help reduce it, but very little success, so they have given her Adenolol 50mg to try...................shes to take both once a day now...........

anyone know anything about these?
or whats happenin next?

*maddie very glad of any info to help make her and mummy wiser*

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 04-23-2002).]

Hey Maddie
smile.gif

My mother also has high blood pressure... she's on medication (acupril) as well as a water pill, same as your mom. It makes a complete and total difference... I'm sure this will help!

Another thing to consider is the whole "white coat syndrome". When my mother gets hers checked at the docs, her BP is always higher than when I check it for her at home, because the docs make her nervous... or they weigh her and she gets upset before the take her BP measurement...lol That honestly could have an effect on your mom as well.

As for her vacation... I highly doubt they would make her stay home. As long as it's a relaxing vacation she has planned, then that would be something they would want her to do!
wink.gif

Hang in there, this stuff is never easy to deal with! Feel free to email me too if you want - ultraviolet_baby@hotmail.com
biggrin.gif

------------------

What in God's name have you done?
Stick your arm for some real fun...
Rest in peace Layne.

Heya mad1
It's worrying when one of our family is ill, and it's very easy to think the worst, but if you have a positive and supportive attitude things should work out okay.

The above explanantions of blood pressure are all excellent, and I couldn't really add to them in any way. The one thing I would say is not to go looking up treatments on the internet for a long period of time. There's a lot of information out there, and quite a lot of it is not true. Your best source of information is your local friendly GP who should be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

When a patient comes to their doctor with symptoms of high blood pressure (hypertension), readings are usually made over a three month period or longer, so that it's not down to chance alone. Usually, depending on the age of the person, their diastolic blood pressure (the lower value)should ideally be less than 90mmHg. Their systolic value should be less than 160mmHg, but unless it is extremely high, treatment on the basis of it alone is rarely commenced. Above that, it's recommended that some form of treatment should begin. There are several causes of hypertension, some more understood than others. You said your mum has thyroid disease - this can contribute to high blood pressure. Sometimes people can get high blood pressure for no reason whatsoever (called "essential hypertension"). Thyroid disease can also make hairs very fine and brittle, so it's common for people to find that brushing their hair can damage it.

Okay now, so what can be done about high blood pressure? The most important thing for people to do is to take an active role in their control - to not rely upon medicines alone to deal with it. Some of the practical ways a person can actively help to reduce their BP include:
Weight loss through reduced fat and calorie intake (ie healthy eating - no Ulster fries!)
Regular dynamic physical exercise (eg brisk walking for 20 minutes per day)
Reduced use of salt in food preparation and elimination of excessively salty food (max 5g per day)
Increased intake of fruit and vegetables (7 portions per day)
Limit alcohol consumption (<3 units a day for men and <2 units a day for women)
Of course, as with all things, it's best for your mum to talk to her GP or Practice Nurse to see if all of these are okay (particularly if she's diabetic or on a special diet) before she sets off on any 10 mile hikes!
The medication that she's on at the minute sound like (i)Bendrofluazide, which is a diuretic drug ie it makes you pee more often. It's like plumbing, if you try to force water into pipes the pressure will rise, so by reducing the total fluid volume within the circulation, it is hoped that the pressure of that volume will decrease also. One problem with them is that your mum may be running to the toilet at all hours. The second drug, which I think you mean Atenolol, is a Beta-Blocker. These are highly effective drugs which work in a number of ways - they can slow you heart down a little so it's not pumping as hard; they can decrease your body's reaction to a lower blood pressure and so set its natural limits a little lower. Again your mum will have to be careful because they can make a person's pressure drop a little too low and they can feel light headed or dizzy if they stand up too quickly. She may also find herself getting a little more tired when she is on them, as well as her hands and feet feeling a little colder. Sometimes people also say that they get nightmares when using beta blockers.

The two together are a recommended treatment for high blood pressure.

Most of all, I would say to try and stop your mum from worrying too much - it can raise her blood pressure up even more. It would even be better for her to go away on a holiday - if she were to stay at home she might worry even more; at least when she is away she can take her mind off things which can only help the situation.

I hope this of a little help.

Back
Top Bottom