Hey Europeans, do you want me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
Hey everyone, I may have the chance to take a trip across Europe in December. I'm not sure if I will go yet but I would like to know more about the climate/average weather at the time. I know Europe is varied in this regard, but if you're from England, France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Italy or Switzerland I'd love to hear any insights or advice you have about traveling or the country in general. Thank you in advance.

I live in Vienna, so if you pass by I would be delighted to show you the city. Its a city with lots of old culture, so you should see the Opera, the Ring, Schönbrunn, St Stephens Cathedral, maybe Karlskirche, Votivkirche is very nice.. don´t know exactly what you are intereted in; you can meet students at a nice campus, party hard in underground music clubs,... really depends on what you want to see and how long youre gonna stay.

Well visiting London is a must, you could easily spend your whole visit there and never get bored! I don't live in the city, but close by. Gotta visit China town for the atmosphere and the scrumptous food. Don't stick to the tourists routes, follow the locals, they know where's best! Well perhaps go to the Hard Rock Cafe. Yes it is very cheesey, but one of my favourite places. They have a leather Bono jacket! Have a few drinks, then go across the road and see my pal Jimmy (who named me a dudette) who runs the vault. He's often very drunk around the Xmas period! You can sit on Freddie Mercurys chair, hold B.B Kings trumpet (i think!?!). John Lennons jacket etc etc.

Use the tube as least as you can, it may seem easy getting from place to place but walking you get to see more of London and soak in the views!

Ok hope I'm not rambling. Hotels are very expensive in London (along with everything else). I suggest the Regent Palace which is right next to Picadilly Circus. It is very basic but you get what you pay for.

Errrm go see WE WILL ROCK YOU the musical! Possibly the best thing on stage in London. I'm an addict and seen it 10 times since it opened in 2002. If you like U2, you'll like this.

Go for a walk in Holland Park, one of the richest parts of London and the park there is beautiful! Although last time I was there some mentalist hippy came up to me singing Bohemian Rhapsody and declaring he was a live entertainer. FRUIT CAKE.

Can't think of anything else about London right now. If your planning to visit elsewhere in England, alot of people go to Oxford and Cambridge for the history. But I don't know what your into....if you like going out and getting giddy I suggest another one of the big cities, they all have good night life (espicially Newcastle and Manchester).

Use Easyjet Airlines for travelling around Europe, it's the cheapest around. If you book far enough in advance flights can cost little as 99p!

England is famous for its dreary weather! December isn't the coldest month but probably alot chillier than your used to! Around 10-15C average as a wild guess?

If I go I'll be there for around a month, so I know I'll feel like everywhere I'd go I should stay there for a long time but I'll be wanting to see what's next at the same time. And yes I love the 'Real' culture anywhere I go, not the pre-packaged tourist sights. If I go to the Hard Rock in London I'll probably be arrested for trying to steal Bono's jacket.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I live in Vienna, so if you pass by I would be delighted to show you the city. Its a city with lots of old culture, so you should see the Opera, the Ring, Schönbrunn, St Stephens Cathedral, maybe Karlskirche, Votivkirche is very nice.. don´t know exactly what you are intereted in; you can meet students at a nice campus, party hard in underground music clubs,... really depends on what you want to see and how long youre gonna stay.

brother hiphop-
i was needing your email address for something.

please email me-
diamondbruno9@aol.com

db9

:)

hiphop, I'll remember to drop you a line next summer if I go to Austria for a few weeks. I'd love to go to Vienna (I lived in Aspern for a while) for a few days. :)

Johnny Swallow said:
Thanks for the offer WHHDTBG, is there a lot of snowfall in Vienna in December?

December it depends. Sometimes we have a white Christmas, sometimes we don´t. Usually, in january it snows more than in December. However, last year´s December started with snow around the tenth. So I would say it´s about 50/50.

I hate snow in the city and I dislike winter.

anitram said:
hiphop, I'll remember to drop you a line next summer if I go to Austria for a few weeks. I'd love to go to Vienna (I lived in Aspern for a while) for a few days. :)

I will be enchanted by your company, and I am looking forward to interesting political, spiritual and ethical discussions. :)

swallow.
loved your timing and that you swallowed before becoming a choke artist.

db9

Last edited:
Dudette said:
Well visiting London is a must, you could easily spend your whole visit there and never get bored! I don't live in the city, but close by. Gotta visit China town for the atmosphere and the scrumptous food. Don't stick to the tourists routes, follow the locals, they know where's best! Well perhaps go to the Hard Rock Cafe. Yes it is very cheesey, but one of my favourite places. They have a leather Bono jacket! Have a few drinks, then go across the road and see my pal Jimmy (who named me a dudette) who runs the vault. He's often very drunk around the Xmas period! You can sit on Freddie Mercurys chair, hold B.B Kings trumpet (i think!?!). John Lennons jacket etc etc.

Use the tube as least as you can, it may seem easy getting from place to place but walking you get to see more of London and soak in the views!

Use Easyjet Airlines for travelling around Europe, it's the cheapest around. If you book far enough in advance flights can cost little as 99p!

England is famous for its dreary weather! December isn't the coldest month but probably alot chillier than your used to! Around 10-15C average as a wild guess?

I live in Northern Ireland and as a tourist in London I can't agree with your statement about using the tueb. We did use the tube when we were there and we never stopped walking. My feet were so swollen at the end of the few days we spent there my shoes were too tight. The tube was great for us getting around and seeing as much as possible. I quite liked Camden Market and doing the touristy things. I think I have written up about it in my journal here although I think it's maybe a bit too negative. I quite enjoyed London.

Decembers here are not bitterly cold like Feb/ March but they are cool enough, sometimes you will get relatively mild Decembers though. It can snow around Christmas. It would be advisable to wear lots of layers and a good coat. When I was in London in Feb I thought it was absolutely freezing, a lot colder than here. I wasn't prepared for it. We bought loads of scarves and gloves on our first day there. I think when you're walking outside all day you feel the cold a LOT more. We spent a lot of time buying coffee.

stay away from oxford street on weekends in december, particularly the nearer to christmas you get. Honest to god, if you go anywhere near there you will regret it.

:crack:

I ended up walking in the gutter, dodging buses, cos 1) there was no room on the pavement and 2) even if there was, it was just hell on earth. far, far too many people going in too many different directions

:crack::crack:

bammo2 said:
stay away from oxford street on weekends in december, particularly the nearer to christmas you get. Honest to god, if you go anywhere near there you will regret it.

:crack:

I ended up walking in the gutter, dodging buses, cos 1) there was no room on the pavement and 2) even if there was, it was just hell on earth. far, far too many people going in too many different directions

:crack::crack:

i found out today oxford street is 1 mile long, in one day, along with walking other places, i walked 2.5 times along that street. tube surfing was particularly bad during rush hour at oxford circus and we couldn't get on a tube for over an hour and still we were all packed into it. :crack:

Back
Top Bottom