Hewitt rips ATP over mindless ruling to fine him 100K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
http://espn.go.com/tennis/news/2002/0817/1419321.html

you've really got to wonder where these guys head's are, to infuriate the best player in the game, the guy you hope and pray to carry the torch of fading stars like Sampras and Agassi... so you fine him $100,000 for doing an interview after a match instead of before it? guys are bypassing each other to make agreements and rulings... he's right, if it smells like elephant dung, there must be a circus nearby

--

SYDNEY -- Lleyton Hewitt has launched another attack against the ATP, saying he does not care about holding on to his world number one ranking because of the organization's stubborn attitude, Australian media reported.

Branding the governing body of men's tennis as a badly run "circus," the Wimbledon champion told Sydney's Sunday Telegraph newspaper: "Next year I couldn't give two hoots about the No. 1 ranking.

"There are times when you feel like (walking away). It's a great sport if the ATP would just get out of the way.

"You have to ask why men's tennis is struggling and you have to start by looking at the top.

"I'll change my schedule next year if the ATP keep up with this garbage."

Hewitt is embroiled in a dispute with the ATP over a television interview during last week's Cincinnati Masters.

Although Hewitt's appearance in the final, which he lost to Spaniard Carlos Moya, earned him $206,000, the Australian was fined half of his prize money by the ATP.

The fine followed the 21-year-old's fracas with the ATP over his refusal to conduct an interview with ESPN before his first round match in Cincinnati.

"When things happen like in Cincinnati, when you think about the way everything has been run, it's just not much fun," added Hewitt, who is appealing against the fine.

Hewitt said he was annoyed by the ATP's attitude over the incident because he had already agreed with the broadcaster to do the interview after the match.

"ESPN was satisfied with that," said Hewitt.

"(ATP chief executive) Mark Miles was satisfied with that and the tournament director was satisfied with that but there was one guy, the PR manager (Matt Rapp), who wasn't."

The ATP declined to comment on Hewitt's remarks.

btw, my new favotire female tennis player needs medical attention, it's really a shame for her is she's seriously injured, she's playing the best tennis of her young life, hope she's ok for New York

Attachments

• jdokic.jpg
    jdokic.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 12
A sad state of affairs when the top player in the game says from next year hes got no interest in maintaining his ranking and has actually thought about quitting and playing fooball again.

he'll be even more pleased now that the US Open has stuck him with Greg Rusedski for a 2nd round matchup, the same Rusedski who is fresh off a tournament win over the weekend, and then if that's not ridiculous enough for the #1 seed's draw, he faces James Blake in the 3rd round, Blake too is fresh off his first ATP tournament victory in DC over the weekend

dokic will never get anywhere unless her daddy takes a few chill pills

she's actually ranked at like #5 in the world now, but like everyone else, she isnt good enough to beat the Williams sisters; but yes, her father is a notorious psycho-dad on the tour, it's a common theme with these tennis dads, I guess after a certain point sons just tell their parents to piss off because it's a problem exclusive to ladies tennis, primarily all these young phenoms

I think Hewitt is very likely to win the tournament anyway, especially cos he's had the chance to build up some anger at the world in recent weeks...

Back
Top Bottom