Here she comes...Ophelia that is!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
The clouds are rolling in and the winds are picking up, and our area is under a hurricane/tropical storm warning. So, if in the next few days I go a long time without posting, don't be surprised because we'll probably lose power here.

My main concern is flooding on the campus, we're just a few blocks from the James river, where it's about 4 miles wide. I'm on a peninsula, with the York River on the other side and the Chesapeake Bay at the end. The campus here is low lying ground, so it'll be interesting.

I'll keep y'all updated!

Bonochick said:
Why on earth would you use ":happy:" to post this? :der:

Hope everything works out all right.

I enjoy severe weather. For the longest time I wanted to be a storm chaser until I realized how much math and science was involved....

I know...:coocoo::shrug:

I was just about to call my Mom who's about an hour south of you. She really went through it with...was it Isabel?

joyfulgirl said:
I was just about to call my Mom who's about an hour south of you. She really went through it with...was it Isabel?

Isabel was two years ago, Gaston was last year. Isabel primarily affected the state with high winds, Gaston was a bastard of a tropical storm who decided to just sit and rotate on top of Richmond and cause devastating floods.

I'm not sure what Ophelia will do but I guess I'll find out!

U2democrat said:

I enjoy severe weather. For the longest time I wanted to be a storm chaser until I realized how much math and science was involved....

I know...:coocoo::shrug:

Tracking severe weather is one thing... but it is never good news when there is devastation, flooding and general inconveniences for the people affected...

So I do not know whether :happy: is an adequate smiley...

:shrug:

Ophelia's a Category 1 that's just supposed to glance the coastline, so I don't imagine there'll be a whole lot of damage.

I went through a Category 1 (borderline Cat 2, actually) and all it did was knock down a few old rickety trees and kill the power. I thought it was actually pretty fun. :shrug:

DaveC said:
Ophelia's a Category 1 that's just supposed to glance the coastline, so I don't imagine there'll be a whole lot of damage.

I went through a Category 1 (borderline Cat 2, actually) and all it did was knock down a few old rickety trees and kill the power. I thought it was actually pretty fun. :shrug:

Yeah, Cat 1s are fun. I know Ophelia shouldn't be too devastating...i just want classes cancelled....*crosses fingers*

U2@NYC said:

Tracking severe weather is one thing... but it is never good news when there is devastation, flooding and general inconveniences for the people affected...

So I do not know whether :happy: is an adequate smiley...

:shrug:

if your :happy: about it then I think its adequate....(happy about bad storms..not devastation) somepeople like em...it can be exciting to watch the fury of mother nature:drool:

We just had a little rain band come through here from Ophelia. The wind got a little gusty too. All the way on the north side of D.C. in Maryland. Now the sun is back out with the clouds.

It started pouring right when I had to go get my son from school, perfect timing. :huh:

Last edited:
All of my family lives in a small town on the Pamlico River in eastern north carolina...I called my grandmothers house and the phone kept ringing and the answering machine never picked up, so I'm assuming she lost power. Hopefully she's taken refuge with one of my aunts there in town whose house isn't right on the river.

Ophelia beat the shit out of all the cars on the road on my way back from work... slow slow commute. :mad:

*Is fascinated by severe weather, too* My interest tends to lean more towards tornadoes, though, as I've mentioned here before. But hey, to each their own :shrug: :). And I can kinda understand the smiley used, too-after all, I'd be that way if we got a snowstorm. Obviously, I don't want anyone to get hurt, but I LOVE snowstorms, so...:).

Anywho, take care, U2democrat and your family, hope that things don't get too nasty for you guys out there. Same goes for everyone else who's experiencing this thing :hug:. Stay safe and be careful, guys.

Angela

The water got really high at my grandmother's house...but I don't think any got in. The only problem is that the storm surge will be going back east and that could affect her...so I guess we'll see.

U2Girl1978 said:
I'm really fascinated with weather. I'm always checking on the weather and if we are about to get a severe thunderstorm I get giddy. I know, odd. :nerd:

I like severe thunderstoms too :nerd:.

Unless the lightning fries the TV/Computer or if the power is knocked out for a couple of hours :reject:. But if everything's still functioning normally in the house (and I'm inside of course), they're kind of cool :).

Not fun to drive in of course.

Back
Top Bottom