Help with a friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia612

Refugee
Alright. I've got a friend whose taste in music is pretty much awful. Her two favorite bands are Evanescence and Nickelback. She refuses to date any guy that doesn't like Maroon 5. I want to get her into better music, but I'm not sure what she'd like. I was thinking of the Pixies, but I don't know if they'd appeal to her. What do I do? Bombard her with notes and instant messages saying "YOUR TASTE IN MUSIC IS SHIT" or give her a mix CD for Christmas?

haha
well I'm never afraid to tell anyone that their musical taste sucks balls. so I would do both. give her a mix CD with bands that do not make you want to wretch. perhaps with some U2 and some Pearl Jam and some REM.....start out easy and then go with the Pixies and some more indie stuff.

first, show her "easy" music... but good

like Franz Ferdinand, Pearl Jam or something "light", Pixies... wouldn't be my choice, maybe later

Personally, I don't agree with telling people their musical tastes suck, 'cause that's just your opinion that it sucks (and hey, I like Maroon 5. Evanescence is okay...not a big fan of them or anything, but I don't hate them, either. Nickelback I don't care for at all, however). People should just be able to listen to whatever they want.

But regardless, I'll agree with some of the mentions of bands that were suggested thus far.

Angela

Go with things that are accepted in both mainstream and critical circles, try to keep it relatively upbeat. Don't use songs that are too obscure if you use an artist with big hits, but don't make the most obvious choices, either.

Oasis- Live Forever
Pearl Jam- Better Man
U2- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar remix)
REM- Man on the Moon
Radiohead- Fake Plastic Trees
The Clash- Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ben Folds Five- Army (this is always good for a laugh)
The Pogues- Fairytale of New York (Sad, sweet, and it is Christmas)
Bruce Springsteen- Hungry Heart
Wilco- Heavy Metal Drummer
Morrissey- First of the Gang to Die
INXS- Never Tear Us Apart or Elegantly Wasted
PJ Harvey- Good Fortune
Franz Ferdinand- This Fire
Beck- Where it's At

Yeah, thanks for all your suggestions! She always goes on about how she loves "really heavy music", so my original intention was to expose her to "Tame", etc. [e.g. something heavier than Evanescence] but I'm rethinking that. Thanks for the help!

i'm sorry, but I really, REALLY hate Maroon 5. that guys voice is just so terribly bad, I can't believe it. I mean I seriously can't believe how horrible his voice is. Sorry, really, I am, but :mad:

UnforgettableLemon said:
Go with things that are accepted in both mainstream and critical circles, try to keep it relatively upbeat. Don't use songs that are too obscure if you use an artist with big hits, but don't make the most obvious choices, either.

Oasis- Live Forever
Pearl Jam- Better Man
U2- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar remix)
REM- Man on the Moon
Radiohead- Fake Plastic Trees
The Clash- Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ben Folds Five- Army (this is always good for a laugh)
The Pogues- Fairytale of New York (Sad, sweet, and it is Christmas)
Bruce Springsteen- Hungry Heart
Wilco- Heavy Metal Drummer
Morrissey- First of the Gang to Die
INXS- Never Tear Us Apart or Elegantly Wasted
PJ Harvey- Good Fortune
Franz Ferdinand- This Fire
Beck- Where it's At

put all these songs on this mix (well, i don't know the wilco, INX, or pj harvey songs...but they can't be too horrible, can they?).

and if she doesn't like it, there's no hope for her. nope, none whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom