Help the cooking impaired! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Help the cooking impaired!

Ok so I've been trying to learn how to cook. Not something easy mind you, I've just dived right into the big time. So I need to know if I can make a decent bouillon with bouillon cubes. I mean, that's what they're for after all, right? lol And does anyone know what "Maggi extract" is and where the heck I would find it? Oh and if the recipe says to use 'strong' bouillon, what exactly might 'strong' be?? HELP!

Old 06-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:09 PM
I belive the extract is a beef extract available most places, MAGGI is just the name of the company that makes it

Old 06-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:09 PM
btw i recommend using beef stock over beef bouillon. kitchen basics is the most widely known one, at least that i know of, and that's what i use. plus, bouillon is incredibly salty.

as for strong bouillon, that may mean they're saying to use a bit more bouillon than usual (they'll tell you to use so much per cup of water). but again, i find you get a much fuller flavour from stocks.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
I Serve Larry's Stick

and it calls for 2 cups of fermented rye liquid and says to see the index, but I don't see anything in this book's index about that...any idea what THAT is?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i must admit that one of my sick fetishes is watching the food network and everyone simply EVERYONE on that channel says to stay away from bouillon cubes...that they're just flavored salt blocks. try low sodium beef, chicken, or vegetable stock intsead. also, fermented rye liquid does seem a bit...exotic? maybe you should try some simpler dishes to get started. if you can, watch 30 minutes meals on foodtv. rachel ray makes some decent and basic stuff on there and it is all completed in 30 real-time minutes. also maybe just try and learn some basic things that you know you like. experiment and have fun. also, if it wasn't obvious already...watch the food network! you'll learn a lot of great tips here and there.

good eats!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

You'll find Maggi extract in most large grocery stores. It comes in a dark brown glass bottle and looks a bit like soy sauce. If you can't find it in a local grocery store, go to an Eastern European or German store/deli. I've always found it there, usually imported from Germany.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i am a jack of MANY trades
Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #9
I Serve Larry's Stick

I like a good challenge. This is fun for me. Hey does anyone know about how long a pierogi should be boiled for? I just can't seem to get it right.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am
Hey does anyone know about how long a pierogi should be boiled for? I just can't seem to get it right.
When they float to the top they're done, like with raviolis. Just make sure it is a low boil not a rolling boil.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #11
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by Calluna

When they float to the top they're done, like with raviolis. Just make sure it is a low boil not a rolling boil.
I made homemade dough though, so it's a bit thicker I think...and therein lies the problem. I suppose I just have to keep trying, but it's more miss than hit with me on this stuff. lol
Old 06-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am

I made homemade dough though, so it's a bit thicker I think...and therein lies the problem. I suppose I just have to keep trying, but it's more miss than hit with me on this stuff. lol
homemade dough too! lol you are going all out! keep up the good work and good luck.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Well, that's what the guy at the Russian bakery told me. They make theirs homemade too but they put it through one of those little pasta roller machines to get it nice and thin.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
I Serve Larry's Stick

All I have is the brute force method here and well...these little arms don't provide much of that either.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
i must admit that one of my sick fetishes is watching the food network
i love you. so do i. my roomie gets annoyed with it cuz i almost always will have it on. but i do put it to good use, i love to cook!

Quote:
and everyone simply EVERYONE on that channel says to stay away from bouillon cubes...that they're just flavored salt blocks. try low sodium beef, chicken, or vegetable stock intsead. also, fermented rye liquid does seem a bit...exotic? maybe you should try some simpler dishes to get started.
of course any kind of stock or broth is better but i just prefer the kind i linked above. plus i noticed rachael (you misspelled it you supposed fan you just kidding) had started using it too even though they repackage her stuff. miss sticky, i know you're wanting to start cooking polish foods, have you asked maciek how easy this dish (btw, what dish is it, if i may ask?) is to prepare? i know sometimes exotic ingredients can fool you and the dish can be rather simple to prepare.

Quote:
if you can, watch 30 minutes meals on foodtv. rachel ray makes some decent and basic stuff on there and it is all completed in 30 real-time minutes. also maybe just try and learn some basic things that you know you like. experiment and have fun.
rachael taught me how to cook. i come from a long line of people who don't cook. my mom doesn't really cook (we grew up on hamburger helper, kraft macaroni and cheese, and *gasp* mashed potatoes made from flakes! as you can see from my past cooking threads, i've broken the mold) and her mom didn't cook. i grew up having beanie weenie mondays, etc. (meaning more or less the same things every monday, every tuesday, etc. every week) as did her mom.

needless to say, my parents are looking forward to me moving back in with them because someone will be there to actually cook something other than the usual shit they have. i've already planned on making stuff like fish tacos, risotto, and of course my shepherd's pie.

Quote:
good eats!
i met alton brown last year. he's super nice. he signed both of my cookbooks and i got my picture taken with him.