Help picking a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I need help with a dog name. I haven't decided yet if I'll give my dog a new name, but everyone I know keeps saying I should so I better start picking since it took me months to give Beckham his name. The following are a few I like, but I'm really open to suggestions b/c I have no clue!

Grace/Gracie - Love this name and love the meaning

Kenya - Love the sound of it

Chelsea - I'm not totally into this name, but it was the name of a German Shepherd friend I had as a kid, the best dog I'll ever have the pleasure of knowing

Petra - I really love this name, like enough to give a future child this name (so maybe I shouldn't use it)

Rhian - Love the sound of it (I say it ree-AAAN)

Fern - I dunno, it just sound cute!

Lia/Leah - Love this name

Any you like? Any you hate? Suggestions please! (1-2 syllables is best)

I think Mia is the best name ever :drool:

but really...i had trouble too, but i didn't really know what would be a good name for my dog until i got him. so i wrote a few names down on slips of paper, and i put treats on them. then i set him free and he walked over to his future name.

unico said:

but really...i had trouble too, but i didn't really know what would be a good name for my dog until i got him. so i wrote a few names down on slips of paper, and i put treats on them. then i set him free and he walked over to his future name.

:lol: That's too cute.

for our last dog/family member we had Grace in mind but then my brother thought of Tara - not the NA version, but Tar (as in asphalt) ah (as in say ah) as opposed to terra. We went with Tara as that pronounciation is also the name of the ancient hill in Ireland where Kings sat :heart:

I am very partial to Grace though.

she was a beautiful GS also :drool:

so smart :love:

unico said:
I think Mia is the best name ever :drool:

I'm partial to Mia, too. :yes:

I like Kenya or Gracie, Lies. Both are very pretty. :up:

i had always thought zelda or aeris was a good name for a female pet
:nerd:

but...from your list, i like kenya and gracie too :)

greta and hilda are fun german names

and coming from someone who named her dog after alcohol, this might be a fun place to start: http://www.germanbeerguide.co.uk/

oh and i like lucia...but thats not so german...

Last edited:
I had a Doberman named Erika (it has three syllables though, but mostly I called her "eeka" which took it to two syllables) and that really fit her.

I remember one woman was mad at me for naming my dog Erika because it was her daughter's name. I said "how old is your daughter?" Turns out she was younger than my dog so I said "Hey, I got first dibs then!" She didn't like that response at all -- of course, she didn't really like me much either. I never quite figured out what the problem was though -- we only worked together for a few months (if that), we weren't friends, and I was never going to meet her damned daughter. Go figure. :shrug:

Liesje said:
I need help with a dog name. I haven't decided yet if I'll give my dog a new name, but everyone I know keeps saying I should so I better start picking since it took me months to give Beckham his name. The following are a few I like, but I'm really open to suggestions b/c I have no clue!

Grace/Gracie - Love this name and love the meaning

Kenya - Love the sound of it

Chelsea - I'm not totally into this name, but it was the name of a German Shepherd friend I had as a kid, the best dog I'll ever have the pleasure of knowing

Petra - I really love this name, like enough to give a future child this name (so maybe I shouldn't use it)

Rhian - Love the sound of it (I say it ree-AAAN)

Fern - I dunno, it just sound cute!

Lia/Leah - Love this name

Any you like? Any you hate? Suggestions please! (1-2 syllables is best)

I like Gracie............my brother named his labs after his favourite movies the Aliens trilogy.....so he has "Bishop" and "Ripley"

I've named our animals after past rulers! It gets everyone confused because now we have "Candy" but Candy is named after Candace of Ethiopia...apparently she scared the BeJesus out of Alexander the Great!

When i get a boy dog....... I'm going to call him "NERO"

unico said:

but...from your list, i like kenya and gracie too :)

greta and hilda are fun german names

I think those are my favorites too, mainly Gracie. It's easy to say, easy for the dog to hear, and doesn't sound close to any of her commands. I like Kenya, besides the fact that it's a cool country in Africa, because it's a pretty cool sounding word, also easy to say/hear and distinct.

I wanted a German name, but I'm saving Ansel and Greta (or Hansel and Gretl) for when I have a pair.

unico said:

:ohmy: more doggies to come??

ooooo yeah! I'm working up to what I *really* want, and I already have his/her name picked out. But yeah I really want a pair eventually, probably not with this dog...but eventually! Phil gets to pick his dog next...

The last two cats we had were named George & Gracie . When they were kittens, they always played and it seemed that they were dancing...therefore the names. :heart:

:)

Go with Gracie.

I like Kenya best. It sounds unique and is pretty. Grace is nice, but I don't think it really fits a German Shepherd....just my opinion, though.

Wow, lots like Gracie! When it gets closer, maybe I'll have a poll. In the mean time, any other suggestions not on the list?

If it helps, she's a 3 year old German Shepherd, small and petite for her breed but very smart and driven, from well known European working lines. She has an even-keeled temperament and is more shy/timid than outgoing (but not fearful). I like names that are 1-2 syllables, and aren't too pop culture like Roxy, Jazz/Jazzy, etc. I also want it to be a more female name so people don't assume she's a he.

I've looked through a lot of pet name sites, but most of the names are so weird I get bored and close the site!! I like hearing other people's pet's names for ideas.

ETA: Names that are already off-limits:

- Most of the German names like Gretl, Heidi, etc. - reserved for future dogs
- "Tango" - reserved for my future Mal
- "Radar" - reserved for my future duck toller
- "Alsatian" - why name the dog the name of the breed?

Last edited:
I like Gracie, but I like Sadie even more!

When I got my dog her name was Sissy and I hated it because the previous owners were jerks. So I changed it to Missy. Sounds pretty much the same and didn't feel like I was bringing her past to her new life with me. :)

Bono's Betty said:
Can I ask why you want to change her name?

I don't really care either way, but everyone says you should change the name since it's starting a new life. I don't particularly like her current name, so if I do change it, I want it to have meaning for us. I wouldn't ever change her registered name, just her pet name that I call her.

If you change an animal's name, aren't you supposed to make it similar sounding the to name they already have? I heard that from someone, don't know if it's true or not.

That being said, Kenya is an awesome name. It sounds spacious and calm, but also strong and grounded.

Kenya :yes:

I've always wanted to name a dog Farfel, after the dog in the Seinfeld episode "The Dog', because I LOVE that episode. But that dog was a monster and I don't know if that would be good Karma or Chi or Feng-Shui or whatever it is. Anyway, something to worry about once I actually get a dog! hehehehehe

Last edited:
FitzChivalry said:
If you change an animal's name, aren't you supposed to make it similar sounding the to name they already have? I heard that from someone, don't know if it's true or not.

It depends on your dog, the breed, how it's trained, it's psychology, etc. I personally do not overuse the dog's name. I use a recall command ("come here" or "komm"/"hier") rather than their name. I reserve the name for a praise reward, which isn't exactly rare, but you won't see me saying "Chop, fetch!" "Chop, heel!", "Chop, sit!". You would see me say "Bring!.....Aus!....Sitz, Stopp....good girl, Chop!" (if I use the name at all). I want the dog to associate her name with praise reward, and if she isn't already trained this way, it could only help to start over with a new name. If you want the dog to have a name that really just functions as part of a command or correction, then it might make more sense to keep the name. But in either case, dogs learn extremely fast and it's not like an emotional challenge to change a name.

So now I'm torn between Kenya and Gracie. I sort of like Gracie better, but that's my cousin's name (my closest cousin), and Kenya just sounds so cool...

I like Kerry for a dog's name, but maybe thats because I know a dog called that and she's really cute lol

From you choices though I would definitely go for Kenya :)

Very interesting that you use German expressions as commands.
There is a German shepherd who raises a special breed that is very good as shepherd dog (forgot its name) and she only uses english terms as commands.
She said the english terms sounded softer, not that harsh as the German language tends to be. So "Come here" she deemed more friendly a command towards a dog than "Komm".

I'm not a fan of old German names, so I would tend to Kenya. That sounds very nice.
Is it with a short or a long "e"?

Liesje said:

So now I'm torn between Kenya and Gracie. I sort of like Gracie better, but that's my cousin's name (my closest cousin), and Kenya just sounds so cool...

I know it's more common now and most pets have people names but she may not like that... Your cousin I mean. :)

I like Kenya, it suits a German Shepard. I had a wonderful GS/Collie mix named Tasha. Smartest sweetest dog ever :heart:

Back
Top Bottom